Oakley ASV: New 5U module being designed

Discussion and support for users and builders of Oakley Sound musical products.

Moderators: Kent, Synthbuilder

Pav
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Pav » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:48 am

Just beginning build of the ASV.

I have found 2 examples of the 22K 0.1% precision resistor required for pot/switch board at Mouser.

Mouser Part # 279-H822KBYA TE Connectivity 0.25W rated. £1.01
# 71-RN55C2202B Vishay 0.1W rated £ 0.47

Is 0.1W power rating too low for your designs ?
Not seen anything below 0.25 before.

Parts info might come in useful for others.

EDIT - damn i need to spend 30 quid to avoid a 12 quid shipping charge.
Has anyone tried the DHL Express bill recipient route ?

Or RS Components have 20k and 2K 0.1% resistors i could put in series ..would that still be better than regular 1% 22k ?
DAMNATION - 20K is on back order. Its no fun.
rgds Pav

eggpie
Learning to Wiggle

Post by eggpie » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:54 pm

Hi Pav.

You will enjoy building and using your ASV.
I've built two and they sound terrific, especially together thru a mixer.

Regarding your 22K 0.1% resistor quandry, do you use Rapid?
They have over 800 of these;

https://www.rapidonline.com/vishay-mmbb ... or-63-1516

Hope this helps. Also, if you've been following other threads regarding problems with the ASV build, I'd recommend a reliable source of J201 jfets.
I was lucky and got some good'uns cheaply on eBay. I can't find the same item from the same seller now, so perhaps he has sold out!

Good luck.

Tom.

eggpie
Learning to Wiggle

Post by eggpie » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:58 pm

Ooh.

Forgot to mention, those 0.1% resistors from Rapid are only 30p.

Regards.

Tom.

Pav
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Pav » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:29 pm

Thanks Eggpie.. Farnell,mouser,RS, i didn't get as far as Rapid :doh:

. I'm coming to the last of a 10 module build and my pet peeves are minimum order quantities and exhorbitant postage when .needing a resister here and a cap there. I had hoped to find some 0.1% 22k on a strip of 100 1% resistors I had..but no luck.
Looking forward to comparing ASV with patching standalone equivalent modules.

Congrats on successfully building your two.
rgds Pav

Pav
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Pav » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:10 pm

No reply needed ... ASV is the first module to require 39nf (qty2) polyester cap. I took Eelpie 22k.1% tip to find it at Rapid and left the basket open until i finish the main board in case i had missed another component.
Nope Rapid doesnt have 39nf, Bitsbox does. (and ebay is last last resort).
IBecause bitsbox are on holiday next week, I didnt leave the basket open.
So they are the lucky recipient of 2 lots of postage. :bang: :mad: :bang: :mad: :cry: :cry: :cry:
rgds Pav

Pav
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Pav » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:33 pm

I'm curious as to what the role of the molex header "out" is or was to be. User guide mentions it's a copy of main out...but not purpose. Future Expander perhaps?

Recommend the build guide should have a copy of the paragraph in ug on role of bus and out headers, as at build time you need to know you have a choice not to install out, but the bus header or a link to short pin1 & 2 is needed.
rgds Pav

Synthbuilder
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Synthbuilder » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:09 am

Pav wrote:I'm curious as to what the role of the molex header "out" is or was to be. User guide mentions it's a copy of main out...but not purpose. Future Expander perhaps?
I had an idea of providing an additional output for each ASV so you could either make a mixer/output module like on the Oberheim TVS-1 or simply have an extra output socket on the back of any 19" rack case to ease studio integration.
Recommend the build guide should have a copy of the paragraph in ug on role of bus and out headers, as at build time you need to know you have a choice not to install out, but the bus header or a link to short pin1 & 2 is needed.
Noted. But I would always recommend that one fits any expansion headers at the initial build stage since they don't cost much and one may have need of them later.

Tony

Purveyor2
Common Wiggler

MU panel

Post by Purveyor2 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:40 pm

Anyone have an .fpd file for a 4 unit MU panel? Thanks

terjewinther
Common Wiggler

Re: Oakley ASV: New 5U module being designed

Post by terjewinther » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:00 pm

At last I was able to finish the ASV module, well one year after I bought one.

I must say that it really is a brilliant module. Full of smart details, sounding great, and documentation top notch as always. I completed the build, tests and calibration without any failure, and being such a large project, that is due to Tony Allgoods detailed descriptions. Testing the module, I came up with Manfred Mann-sounding solos, great basses and funky lead sounds of all sorts. Using the many patch points is a big pluss; running the mix out through the Oakley Equinoxe and back into the filter on the ASV makes for a sound I can just sit and listen to for a long time.

Noticing how few of these modules have been sold, I sort of do understand: it is a fairly big project, and lots of details - some of which I have never done before (I have never made my own IDC cables before). Also, if you are a traditional 5U user, it might not fit into your plans for your modular.

Originally I bought the ASV as a test; maybe this could be my own 4-voice (or dare I say 8-voice) analog polyphonic. I don't think I am going down that road - it is just too big a project, and I already have way too many projects - and synths! - in my studio. So I have now just mounted the ASV into my new cabinet, in between all sorts of other modules. With all the patchabilities it will work like a charm.

During it all, I found these tiny details:
- During final assembly, it never says in the build where to actually solder the front panel parts like pots, switches and jacks - only the LED. It could be between the photos on page 21 in my build docs (page 23 in the newer docs, I think). It is fairly obvious, and it might be described well in the standalone "Construction guide", so it really is not needed. Just curious to omit that, because all other facts about building the ASV is described to every minute detail - and I am happy for that!
- The LFO on my ASV have a top speed of approximately 250Hz, even with the trimmer turned all the way down. It should be 120Hz accordion the the user manual. It really doesn't bother me - I am actually quite pleased with that - because on the other end the LFO can go really, really slow (just how I like it). And turning the LFO speed down a little finds the 120Hz mark, so no problem. I just noted.
- The Sync switch is - for me - upside down. "On" should be up, right? Well on the ASV turning sync on is in the down position. That is the only curious detail about the ASV. No fuss, just a curious fact.
All these details are just observations, and nothing I will use any energy to change.

All in all, I am very pleased with the ASV module. I didn't end up buying 4 (or 8) as I originally planned, so now it will sit in my modular, making good sounds whenever I need it to.

Synthbuilder
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Synthbuilder » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:04 am

terjewinther wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:00 pm
During final assembly, it never says in the build where to actually solder the front panel parts like pots, switches and jacks - only the LED.
I'll look into adding this in the next revision. Basically, the pots and switches are just soldered to the board along with the resistors and other components. However, I will be rewriting this section to cover the forthcoming MU panel builds so I'll be sure to make some notes on the pots and switches too. With my work with the new Eurorack panels I'm thinking now that soldering the switches is probably best left until after the panel is fitted.
The LFO on my ASV have a top speed of approximately 250Hz, even with the trimmer turned all the way down.
It shouldn't do that. Perhaps R123 or R125 are the wrong value. However, if you like the result with what you have, that should be fine. So long as your LFO's output level is roughly +/-5V nothing should be getting too stressed.
The Sync switch is - for me - upside down. "On" should be up, right?
Someone else mentioned that. But here in the UK, putting a switch in the down position is always on. I knew the US did it the other way around but assumed is was a European/North American thing. Consider it a quaint British thing. :hihi:

Tony

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:15 am

Synthbuilder wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:04 am
The Sync switch is - for me - upside down. "On" should be up, right?
Someone else mentioned that. But here in the UK, putting a switch in the down position is always on. I knew the US did it the other way around but assumed is was a European/North American thing. Consider it a quaint British thing. :hihi:
I would not necessarily expect it to go down or up but my intuition wants to switch it in the direction of its designator to enable sync, wich in this case would mean up. But then this is how it looks in my kitchen/living room when both lights are on - so what do I know. :hihi:
IMG_5448.jpg
(installed by real electricians...)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Synthbuilder
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Synthbuilder » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:10 am

Leverkusen wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:15 am
... my intuition wants to switch it in the direction of its designator to enable sync, wich in this case would mean up.
I know what you mean. The current behaviour does seem at odds with the way the labelling works on the other switches. I did struggle with this a little bit - my original sketches have the switch labelled as Sync with the words 'on' and 'off', below and above the switch respectively. The problem is that there is no room for that extra text on the real panel, so the switch is simply labelled with its function only and the on and off are given the usual UK positions. That is, 'on' is down. Anything else just seems wrong to me.

Now the waveform switches also had a name too. In the original plans they were each called waveform with the 'saw' and 'pulse' words above and below the switch. But again, the text got too crowded and this time it was the switch name that was removed. It doesn't change much in the MU version:

Don't get me started on electricians. I do all my own work in my house and the stuff I have had to fix is too numerous to mention.

If anyone fancies changing the direction of the sync switch you'll need to swap the connections to the top and bottom pins of the switch. But the sync pulse signal is very nasty. It's big and very fast so it'll radiate to other things unless you keep the wiring very short and neat.

Tony

Synthbuilder
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Synthbuilder » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:08 am

MU panels are now available. The price is 65GBP which also includes a shim panel that fits between the MU panel and the ASV's pot board. This has two purposes, firstly, the pot and switch threads are less visible than they would be without the shim in place, and secondly, it provides a place for the pots' anti-rotation lugs making the unit more rugged and easier to assemble.

Tony

Paradigm X
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paradigm X » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:19 am

out of interest is the shape parameter cv able? i see it isnt on the panel. i love those sort of sweepable sounds.

thanks

Synthbuilder
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Synthbuilder » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:52 am

Paradigm X wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:19 am
out of interest is the shape parameter cv able?
Nope. That goes beyond the simplicity and scope of this module. The ASV is basically a bunch of nice sounding modules with a fairly restricted parameter set so it could be made to fit into 4MU/5U.

In practice any CV control of shape would involve two VCAs and a bit of CV processing. Sadly, there was no room to include that, both on the PCB and panel. You could do it with the standard SVF and DVCA modules though.

Tony

Return to “Oakley Sound Systems”