New module: Dual VCA-X

Discussion and support for users and builders of Oakley Sound musical products.

Moderators: Kent, Synthbuilder

Synthbuilder
Super Deluxe Wiggler

New module: Dual VCA-X

Post by Synthbuilder » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:27 am

New VCA module and VC-Mixer based on the V2164 IC. Lower noise and CV breakthrough than the existing cascaded LM13700 design. The module is functionally similar to the old one but has exponential and linear CV responses instead of the AC/DC switch. The board is four layer which means I could make it a less deep too.

More information at the usual place:

http://www.oakleysound.com/VCA-X.htm

It is likely that this will replace the current DVCA board once those stocks are depleted. So if you want an older board - to fit a panel? - then now is the time to get one. I have around ten boards left.

Q: What does the old one have that this one doesn't?

A: Apart from having the AC/DC switch, and not having the exponential response, it does pretty much the same thing. The noise and CV breakthrough are slightly higher on the older design but neither should cause a problem for most applications.

Tony

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:12 pm

I think the old Quad VCA was my first working DIY build - I like the triple response curve option on this one.

:yay: :yay: :yay:

Noiseconformist
Common Wiggler

Re: New module: Dual VCA-X

Post by Noiseconformist » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:42 pm

Synthbuilder wrote: New VCA module and VC-Mixer based on the V2164 IC. Lower noise and CV breakthrough than the existing cascaded LM13700 design. The module is functionally similar to the old one but has exponential and linear CV responses instead of the AC/DC switch. The board is four layer which means I could make it a less deep too.
Very nice, Tony! :yay:
And less deeper boards are surely appreciated!

Return to “Oakley Sound Systems”