HVM .....the ALL INPUT is dead SOLVED

Discussion and support for users and builders of Oakley Sound musical products.

Moderators: Kent, Synthbuilder

banjostring1815
Learning to Wiggle

HVM .....the ALL INPUT is dead SOLVED

Post by banjostring1815 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:18 am

I’ve built the HVM and all the four sections work fine individually ...but when using the ALL input it’s dead.

I mistakenly put in an 8pin Multi resistor at RN1 instead of a 9 pin but I’ve connected a 10k resistor to pin 9 and pin 1 hopefully to rectify this.

Could this be the problem ?

All connections are fine and doubled checked wires and sockets tested but just cannot get the ALL input to work.
Last edited by banjostring1815 on Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Synthbuilder
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: HVM .....the ALL INPUT is dead

Post by Synthbuilder » Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:52 am

banjostring1815 wrote:I’ve built the HVM and all the four sections work fine individually ...but when using the ALL input it’s dead.
The two most likely issues are that the circuitry around the right hand side of U7 has a short somewhere, or that the audio signals to and from the U7 circuitry are not connecting correctly. It's worth checking the wiring to and from all the sockets again - especially if you haven't used the Sock6 board. The main one to check is the connection from the signal lug of the INPUT (ALL) socket to pin 8 of the UPR header on the board. It's quite often I see the NC and signal lugs swapped which is not obvious without closer inspection.

If you have a scope or audio probe, check that you have the input signal reaching pin 5 and pin 7 of U7. Pin7 should be a slightly bigger signal.
I mistakenly put in an 8pin Multi resistor at RN1 instead of a 9 pin but I’ve connected a 10k resistor to pin 9 and pin 1 hopefully to rectify this.
Pin 9 isn't actually connected to anything. I've used a 9 pin resistor pack instead of 8 pin because they're normally easier to get. You can remove that extra resistor because it doesn't actually do anything. It's not the cause of the problem though.

Tony

banjostring1815
Learning to Wiggle

Post by banjostring1815 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:00 am

Thanks for your reply, help and time.

It isn’t the connection from pin 8 to All input of socket as I’ve checked that numerous times ...

But the U7 gives me a pointer so I’ll throughly check this and report back
either success or failure.

banjostring1815
Learning to Wiggle

Post by banjostring1815 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:01 am

Problem solved ...it was a fault on one (or maybe 2-3) of the cheapy jack Chinese sockets I’ve used being that the NC tags were not connecting properly ...

I just wish Switchcraft were not so expensive.

But the unit is fully working ...sounds excellent.

Again, thanx for help.

Synthbuilder
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Synthbuilder » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:27 am

banjostring1815 wrote:Problem solved...
:bananaguitar:
I just wish Switchcraft were not so expensive.
If not using the SockX boards then try the Lumberg KLBM3. They're very nice but you have to mount them carefully to stop them bumping into each other.

If using the SockX boards then try using the Rean NYS232.

Ive found Digikey to be the cheapest for the Switchcraft 112APCX.

Tony

Return to “Oakley Sound Systems”