Non-metal panels

Discussion and support for users and builders of Oakley Sound musical products.

Moderators: Kent, Synthbuilder

oozitron
solder fume huffer

Non-metal panels

Post by oozitron » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:24 pm

I often use lexan for my panels, but another DIY person asked if not grounding the pots (via a metal panel) would cause noise issues.

I am particularly interested in whether it would be a problem on the ASV.

thanks!
Andrew
Never want to come down, never want to put my feet back down on the ground

Synthbuilder
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Non-metal panels

Post by Synthbuilder » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:18 am

Metal panels and cases which are grounded either directly or via the audio connecting leads offer more protection against unwanted interference from other equipment. Putting a module in a non conductive case or panel will never be quieter in terms of noise and interference.

However, the amount of interference heard will be dependant on just how much other electrically noisy stuff you have around it, eg. mobile phones, older equipment and mechanical devices like motors. And more importantly just how much any of that extraneous noise actually bothers you.

In the end, it all depends on what works for you. These are musical instruments and what they look like is important to you as the user. So build it as you see fit. The ASV will be pretty resilient to most common sources of problems.

My neighbour is a radio ham. My little music area is less than 5m away from one of his aerials. When he transmits, any devices not in a metal case get infected to a certain extent. My old wooden cased PE2000 string machine produces a loud click and buzz every time he keys the carrier wave. My Yamaha SY1 will go out of tune by a about semitone and sound horrid. My modular did, but not now I have it in a steel case, would also go out of tune horribly. Balanced wiring, ferrite beads and metal cases have sorted the problem, but I can't use the older gear any more.

Tony

Return to “Oakley Sound Systems”