Issue with new build deep equinoxe

Discussion and support for users and builders of Oakley Sound musical products.

Moderators: Kent, Synthbuilder

spacecadet
Common Wiggler

Issue with new build deep equinoxe

Post by spacecadet » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:23 am

Hi all - just finished a new build of a deep equinoxe 5.1

Basically its seems to function and all knobs and controls work as expected, but I hear mostly the original signal on the output. The processed signal is very faint . If I power it off, the original signal is passed through from audio in to audio out pretty much unaffected.

I did make changes to two resistors to handle line level signals according to this post:-

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=199664

i.e I made R11 56K and R40 7K5.

And help in advance while I start to double check everything would be appreciated.

Synthbuilder
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Issue with new build deep equinoxe

Post by Synthbuilder » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:00 am

My first thoughts are that this is a wiring problem between the main board and the sockets. It'll be worth double checking there is no issue there first.

Also, if you are using the five way Synthesizers.com power header on any Oakley 5U module then you need to fit the MU power header into the PWR location on the PCB. You will also need to link pins 2 and 3 of the location marked PSU on the PCB. Therefore you need to solder a small wire link between the middle two pins of PSU. This joins module ground (or local 0V) with panel ground (panel 0V).

The MOTM/Oakley header PSU has two 0V connections which in any MOTM/Oakley build will, on the fitting of the power connector to the board, automatically connect pins 2 and 3 together via the modular's distribution board. This does not normally happen when you use the MU power connector which is why you need to use an additional wire loop to join the middle solder pads on the module's main board.

Another thing to look out for is that R14 and R15 are the correct values - 27K and 30K respectively.

Tony

spacecadet
Common Wiggler

Post by spacecadet » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:35 am

Thanks - i will check all that.

I an not using the synthesizer.com power connector and its not soldered to the board - I am using the 4-way connector.

Can I ask, is it expected that audio in -> audio out when the unit is powered off? Should I be hearing nothing on the output even if there is an input present?

And when switched on, is there supposed to be some unprocessed audio mixed with the phaser output, or am I supposed to hear the pure phaser output?

Thanks again.

EDIT: just realized that as I am not using a MOTM distribution board - I am building this as a stand alone unit with its own supply and enclosure - that I will still need to connect pins 2 and 3 together of the PSU header.
Last edited by spacecadet on Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Synthbuilder
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Synthbuilder » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:57 am

spacecadet wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:35 am
Can I ask, is it expected that audio in -> audio out when the unit is powered off?
Ive not tried it but I would expect a small amount of signal to get through (called 'bleed') but not much. I would also expect the amount of bleed to be worse without the power lead in place. If the signal is the same level, or near the usual level, with an unpowered Equinoxe inserted into the audio pathway I would guess that the Equinoxe has a wiring error to the sockets.
is there supposed to be some unprocessed audio mixed with the phaser output, or am I supposed to hear the pure phaser output?
Phasers work by mixing the unprocessed input with the signal that has come out of the phase shifter network. So technically there is no fully wet output. Without the mixing of the input and output you will hear a form of frequency modulation from the phase shifter network. R14 and R15 set the dry:wet ratio, so if one of those resistors is badly wrong you won't get to hear the effect like you should.

Tony

spacecadet
Common Wiggler

Post by spacecadet » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:17 pm

Thanks. I think my error was to not tie the grounds together, given my use case - see my edited post above.

I will try that this evening and report back.

spacecadet
Common Wiggler

Post by spacecadet » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:25 am

With the corrected ground, everything works perfectly. All resistors were correct. It was just having a floating ground for the audio jacks that was the problem.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. It sounds awesome with my TTSH. :yay:

Return to “Oakley Sound Systems”