analog delay in MU?

Discussion and support for users and builders of Oakley Sound musical products.

Moderators: Kent, Synthbuilder

levelhead3
Wiggling with Experience

analog delay in MU?

Post by levelhead3 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:59 am

Perhaps a too soon question, but just curious if there had been any further consideration on this idea?

I have a 2u blank panel protecting an empty spot for this one, just in case.

Synthbuilder
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: analog delay in MU?

Post by Synthbuilder » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:41 am

levelhead3 wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:59 am
if there had been any further consideration on this idea?
I certainly have plans to put a version of the ADR30 into a double width MU panel. However, this is a big project with PCBs and panels needing to be bought, and that's not going to happen until I have an income again. Right now, because PCB sales are suspended, I have no money to spend on new large projects.

Currently, I'm working on less expensive projects such as the new DLF in Eurorack, various repair jobs, and getting some of my older music albums up on Bandcamp.

Tony

levelhead3
Wiggling with Experience

Post by levelhead3 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:40 pm

Totally understand, and hadn't meant to express any impatience.

To be honest my query was prompted by the announcement of the very cool looking Moon 530 digital delay.

Just wanted to check and see if your delay was still on the radar, because I'm more than happy to wait for however long if it is. :tu:

Do you mind sharing a link to your Bandcamp site if/when it's up?

Thanks Tony!

Synthbuilder
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Synthbuilder » Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:07 am

levelhead3 wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:40 pm
Do you mind sharing a link to your Bandcamp site if/when it's up?
My Bandcamp page is at: https://takla-makan.bandcamp.com/

Drumlin, which was first released in 1997, should be available on the site later today.

Tony

oozitron
solder fume huffer

Post by oozitron » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:37 pm

Tony -

Speaking of the ADR30... at one point you talked about part of the circuit that added a little “wobble” to the clock ( or something similar) in order to give it some more vintage character.

Is it possible to add a switch that would take out this part of the circuit and make the delay be as “perfect” as possible?
Or if not, could it be built with some parts omitted to make the “wobble” not happen?

thanks, and hope the world is back soon...
Andrew
Never want to come down, never want to put my feet back down on the ground

Synthbuilder
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Synthbuilder » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:53 am

oozitron wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:37 pm
Is it possible to add a switch that would take out this part of the circuit and make the delay be as “perfect” as possible?
Alas not. The ADR30's delay is clocked by an analogue high frequency VCO, so you get a bit of drift due to temperature changes both external to the circuitry and internally. The self heating of the exponential pair being the biggest cause of error. This means that the ADR30 is not a precision delay and it can't be synchronised to an external source. It's a fully analogue delay that is noisy and quirky. It's meant to be played with and controlled by an external CV for musically interesting effects.

So the question is, and this is one I have been asking myself about for the development of the delay in MU, should I use digital control over the delay time? The problem then comes to how well any digital oscillator will react to incremental and continual changes, particularly over a wide range. Most don't do this so well. Add to this the very high frequency this thing needs to be clocked and it becomes not a trivial problem to solve. Beyond me I would think.

So my planned design will probably still use a VCO but a more precise version of the one in the ADR30. So it can't be externally sync'd but it will allow huge sweeps in the delay time without glitches. That said, the ADR30 is pretty good if all you need to do is have a fixed delay. It doesn't change much over time, so you can set it manually and it'll hold the delay time well enough for most purposes. I have a couple of users say it is their favourite delay just because it sounds so good.

Tony

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:01 am

Synthbuilder wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:53 am
So the question is, and this is one I have been asking myself about for the development of the delay in MU, should I use digital control over the delay time?
Hell no.
Synthbuilder wrote:
So it can't be externally sync'd but it will allow huge sweeps in the delay time without glitches.
Yeah, cool!

:tu:

I guess if it would be syncable it still would need a knob to slightly detune it again, which might make it even more complicated to design without sacrifying the analogue panel control.

levelhead3
Wiggling with Experience

Post by levelhead3 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:42 pm

Synthbuilder wrote:
So the question is, and this is one I have been asking myself about for the development of the delay in MU, should I use digital control over the delay time? The problem then comes to how well any digital oscillator will react to incremental and continual changes, particularly over a wide range. Most don't do this so well. Add to this the very high frequency this thing needs to be clocked and it becomes not a trivial problem to solve. Beyond me I would think.

So my planned design will probably still use a VCO but a more precise version of the one in the ADR30. So it can't be externally sync'd but it will allow huge sweeps in the delay time without glitches.
That would be my vote too - all analogue! :sb:

Return to “Oakley Sound Systems”