A few eurorack build questions plust.

Discussion and support for users and builders of Oakley Sound musical products.

Moderators: Kent, Synthbuilder

bmmcwhirt
Learning to Wiggle

A few eurorack build questions plust.

Post by bmmcwhirt » Mon May 25, 2020 8:03 pm

I am reading through the parts.pdf file as well as the build docs for a few modules. There are a few parts that have mouser part numbers listed. Has anyone compiled a list more complete than what it offered in Tony's documentation or is it simply better to just order from Rapid even from the USA? I am willing to put in the time to build a spreadsheet with Mouser part numbers and links directly to the part if someone else would be willing to verify the part to correct me when I'm wrong.

I've been watching Oakley Sound for quite some time and am finally in a position to make the investment in building some of the modules, and will probably stick to Eurorack for now. Unfortunately one of my favorite products I've heard from Tony is no longer available and that was the Filtrex II. Is there a combination of the Eurorack filters that are equivalent? I'm currently looking up parts to build the COTA, HVM and the MOSPhaser. I love how clean all the samples of Oakley modules always seem to sound.

Additionally I was wondering if anyone had or could make a few samples of what a 303/3030/td-3 or other clone sounded like run through those three modules each separate and then whatever combination you think is exciting. Then the same thing with something like a Waldorf Mictowave XT(K)[or similar]?

When I do my builds I will be using ChipQuick no clean solder paste (until I can get some nicer Kesters no clean halogen free lead free paste, it's just very pricey) and hot-air rework station. I do not currently have an IR oven for SMT work but I'm hoping that is something I can pickup in the near future. Oakley are all lager SMT so not as necessary as it is with smaller parts like used by Mutable Instruments and some others. That said are there anythings I should be weary of when using hot-air and paste with these projects?

Currently I will be using an Arturia Rackbrute 6U, and probably add a second one as that will quickly fill up I'm sure.

Thanks.
Current Gear: Electron Digitakt, Behringer TD-3, Arturia Beatstep Pro, Zoom H6, Fender California Redondo 6-String Acoustic, Yamaha TRBX-304 Bass, Zoom B3N, Arturia RackBrute, Behringer Neutron.

Synthbuilder
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: A few eurorack build questions plust.

Post by Synthbuilder » Tue May 26, 2020 4:34 am

bmmcwhirt wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 8:03 pm
There are a few parts that have mouser part numbers listed. Has anyone compiled a list more complete than what it offered in Tony's documentation or is it simply better to just order from Rapid even from the USA?
As time passes and I extend the amount of eurorack modules on offer, the Mouser part numbers in the Guide will increase. I now use Mouser more than any other supplier and each time a new Oakley product comes out I will add to the parts numbers in the Parts Guide. I wouldn't recommend using Rapid solely due to lack of part numbers in the guide, indeed, most of the Rapid part numbers pertain to the older 5U and through hole projects only.

Mouser's search engine is pretty good. The big problem is the huge number of results it will give you. But most of the time it doesn't matter about manufacturer. For example, if you just want a standard metal film 1% 0805 resistor, then buy the cheapest that Mouser sell when you search for that.

You'll get the hang of it pretty quickly. I deliberately do not use a large number of different parts in my projects, so you'll find leftovers from one project will help with others you build.
Unfortunately one of my favorite products I've heard from Tony is no longer available and that was the Filtrex II. Is there a combination of the Eurorack filters that are equivalent?
The Filtrex was my first Oakley Sound project, although it was called VCF-1 back then. It was around for nearly 25 years and it was time to put it to bed once sales had dropped to just a couple a year. The PCB was also a real pain to ship because the board was so long and thin.

There is no Eurorack equivalent - although in 5U it's all there with the TSL, EFG-Deluxe, Dual-LFO and Multimix. Only the Multimix exists in euroland at the moment. But since I only got back into Eurorack about twelve months ago I've still got a way to go with porting over all my 5U designs. The next one is the Croglin, but I will look into doing the EFG-Deluxe and LFO later this year.
That said are there anythings I should be weary of when using hot-air and paste with these projects?
I have not used solder paste and hot air yet with my PCBs. I'm still using solder wire and a standard Weller soldering iron, but I am keen to try out the paste and hot air to see how much faster it could be.

Tony

bmmcwhirt
Learning to Wiggle

Re: A few eurorack build questions plust.

Post by bmmcwhirt » Tue May 26, 2020 10:48 am

Tony, thanks for the response. I'll be sending you a request for an order later today/tonight dependent on time zones.

Solder paste and hot air is really nice and if you have or can get an IR oven it's even better, though a toaster oven can often work as well. If you are doing a large board or doing many of the same boards getting a stencil made and applying the solder paste that way is super fast. Once you get to that point things wont get any faster unless you are bloody rich and can afford a PnP machine (pick and place). But the stencils can save hours of time applying solder paste. My favorite is (https://www.kester.com/products/product ... lder-paste), but it's not cheap. It is lead-free and Halogen-free so even in well ventilated areas it's better to not have halogen or lead. That paste can be $100 or so for 600g which is quite a bit of solder paste but it's also expensive compared to some others.

IR Ovens can be obtained from the likes of Amazon and other places. Most come out of China so the general rule of opening them up and checking grounds, and hot neutral. Other than that they are pretty simple. I'm hoping to get one but my Tektronix scope recently suffered serious water damage and with how old it is it's just as cheap to pick up a Rigol digital scope with 4ch where my Tek is only 2, so that will come first.
Current Gear: Electron Digitakt, Behringer TD-3, Arturia Beatstep Pro, Zoom H6, Fender California Redondo 6-String Acoustic, Yamaha TRBX-304 Bass, Zoom B3N, Arturia RackBrute, Behringer Neutron.

Return to “Oakley Sound Systems”