euro envelope gate stops working

Discussion and support for users and builders of Oakley Sound musical products.

Moderators: Kent, Synthbuilder

Pav
Wiggling with Experience

euro envelope gate stops working

Post by Pav » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:44 am

Hi Tony,
its been a while -thought id get in touch, and hope you are coping well with lock downs and the like up there in Cumbria.
Should have seen the beach down here on south coast nr bournemouth today. Too busy for me at 9am to get my
usual post walk coffee and be comfortably "social distanced",

Anyway back to topic, I have just turned on my eurorack for the first time in a month, (been rewiring and fixing issues with my Maplin 5000S.) to find one of two Oakley euro envelopes has stopped working.

Normal Mode, there is no external Gate getting through, no green led on. when i turn Sustain up the red led (output) comes on and I hear sound as the vca is "open" but Attack, Decay,Release have no effect.
Looping Mode, (sustain = 0) there is a very weak green gate led pulsing, but no ADR effect on loop speed, and no output. Gated Loop Mode - no loop and no gate led on .

This has the ring of deja-vu about it but not found a related thread.
Just about to open up the case to look.

Your thoughts as always would be appreciated.
Last edited by Pav on Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
rgds Pav

Pav
Wiggling with Experience

Re: euro envelope gate stops working

Post by Pav » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:57 am

Aha - Solved by reseating the main pcb with pot pcb . Phew!

But wait . Spoke too soon. It works in my mini doepfer case, but not when put back in my 6U case powered by Oakley euro PSU.
rgds Pav

Synthbuilder
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Synthbuilder » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:37 am

Pav wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:57 am
Spoke too soon. It works in my mini doepfer case, but not when put back in my 6U case powered by Oakley euro PSU.
Have you tried putting it back into the Doepfer case again and see whether it still works in there?

Intermittent things like this can be terribly difficult to fault find. It's probably a duff solder joint in there somewhere. When you moved the module over from one case to the other, it would have flexed the boards slightly and that can be enough to make or break a poorly connection. In these situations I would get the magnifying glass out and have a close look at all the solder joints under a bright light.

The Lakes are heaving as is usual. The high fells are relatively quiet but the low level walks are very busy. I'm away from all that though - I'm in the Eden Valley and it's pretty quiet here. That said, Eden is on the watch list as the number of cases is rising fast, mostly in Penrith where the tourists go to shop.

Tony

Pav
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Pav » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:54 am

its back in the 6U case and working. I checked the power lead and it appeared firmly connected at both ends. put back panel back on, and fired up...and voila. The duff joint idea makes sense. I will also double check the power consumption of the modules i have one row of 10 and one of 8. The psu panel is very warm as is the ambient temperature.

Keep well away from tourists is what i recommend til further notice.
rgds Pav

Return to “Oakley Sound Systems”