How to check the current draw of an Oakley module

Discussion and support for users and builders of Oakley Sound musical products.

Moderators: Kent, Synthbuilder

groffcole
Common Wiggler

How to check the current draw of an Oakley module

Post by groffcole » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:24 pm

I'm building my first Oakley modules. The first two are eurorack envelopes. The initial testing described in the build documentation focuses on checking the current draw of the module. I have a BK Precision Took Kit 2704B digital multimeter - how can I use this to measure the current draw?

I also have Rigol digital oscilliscope - should this be used?

Appreciate the help. I've never measured current before.

Synthbuilder
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: How to check the current draw of an Oakley module

Post by Synthbuilder » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:54 am

If you can't measure current easily then don't worry about it. Just make sure when you power up your module for the first time that nothing is getting too warm or smoking...

If you do want to measure current then what you need to do is somehow break the connection between the +12V of your power supply and the +12V input to the module. Connect the black lead of your multimeter to the module end of that +12V connection, and connect the red lead of your multimeter to the power supply end of the +12V. Since you are measuring current make sure your black lead in plugged into COM socket on the meter, and the red lead to the mA socket. Set the meter's big dial to 200mA. Power up and the reading you get will be the current draw from the +12V supply.

To do the -12V you would have to repeat the procedure using the -12V connections.

This is all straightforward if you have a PSU with a separate distribution board. Not so easy if you have to start dismantling ribbon cables.

The easiest way is to use something like the Joranalogue Test 3: https://joranalogue.com/collections/eur ... cts/test-3

Or, like I've got, a bench power supply with a current output display.

Tony

groffcole
Common Wiggler

Re: How to check the current draw of an Oakley module

Post by groffcole » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:31 pm

I'm not using a standard bench power supply, so it might be a bit difficult for me to test current. The Joranalogue Test 3 looks nice.

Thanks for the help.

Return to “Oakley Sound Systems”