Oakley Eurorack Sequence synced with a pattern sequencer

Discussion and support for users and builders of Oakley Sound musical products.

Moderators: Kent, Synthbuilder

waldenpotato
Common Wiggler

Oakley Eurorack Sequence synced with a pattern sequencer

Post by waldenpotato » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:06 pm

I'm curious, is it possible to synchronize the Oakley Eurorack Sequencer with something like the Robaux SWT16+?
http://www.oakleysound.com/sequencer-e.htm
https://robaux.io/swt16plus

I think that the synchronization would put the tempo and individual steps so that they are the same. I'm not sure how else to ask the question so I hope it makes sense.

Thanks.

Synthbuilder
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Oakley Eurorack Sequence synced with a pattern sequencer

Post by Synthbuilder » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:38 am

groffcole wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:06 pm
I'm curious, is it possible to synchronize the Oakley Eurorack Sequencer with something like the Robaux SWT16+?
Yes. You can clock both sequencers with the same external clock which will keep both sequencers in perfect sync.

For more complex patterns the Oakley Sequencer can be clocked (or shifted) from one of the Robaux's programmable gate outputs. The Robaux can also control the load and reset inputs of the Sequencer too for even more complexity.

Tony

waldenpotato
Common Wiggler

Post by waldenpotato » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:12 am

Synthbuilder wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:38 am
Yes. You can clock both sequencers with the same external clock which will keep both sequencers in perfect sync.
Cool!

I'm new to sequencers and clocks, so I'm curious if you have any examples of modules that can be used as external clocks.

Schlumpfhut
Common Wiggler

Post by Schlumpfhut » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:52 am

As far as i know you can use a LFO as clock source. Once the cycle crosses the threshhold of the clock input it should move the sequencer one step forword. For more complexicty one can put a clock divider in beetween LFO and sequencer.

And the fancy pants among us might try this: :hyper:
https://circuithappy.com/themissinglink/

Synthbuilder
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Synthbuilder » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:57 am

groffcole wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:12 am
I'm curious if you have any examples of modules that can be used as external clocks.
A clock signal is generally one that goes from 0V to +5V and back again in a regular and repeating fashion. However, many modules can take any signal at their clock input. They'll respond, ie. move forward one step, when the signal goes over a certain value. In my modules this is normally around +1V and they'll not be damaged by any overly high or negative voltages. So you can control the Oakley sequencer's shift (clock) and load (reset) inputs with outputs from LFOs, VCOs, envelopes, other sequencers, and any other module that generates an output.

If you are driving more than one sequencer or envelope module from a single clock signal it is best to use a clock signal that goes cleanly and quickly from 0 to +5V (and back to 0V again). This is because you normally want to the modules to trigger at the same point in the clock waveform. For example, if one module triggers at 1V and another at 3V, both modules would only trigger together if the clock signal transitioned between 0V and +5V very quickly. If you used a triangle wave clock signal, which by its sloped nature takes a significant time to change voltage, the module which triggers at 1V would activate earlier than the module which triggers at 3V. Therefore it is best to use pulse or square waves to trigger any sequencers if you want everything to move forward together.

Tony

waldenpotato
Common Wiggler

Post by waldenpotato » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:55 pm

Thanks, Tony. That makes sense to me - appreciate it.

Return to “Oakley Sound Systems”