Kits

Discussion and support for users and builders of Oakley Sound musical products.

Moderators: Kent, Synthbuilder

rg70
Learning to Wiggle

Kits

Post by rg70 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:14 pm

Hello,Can anyone suggests some good sources to go to for components?I have searched Mouser and such but it seems a rather a daunting task and not easy to find every component.In the very least,time consuming.I probably should of stuck with full kits.Any suggestions to make it go a little easier?
Thanks

tvh
Common Wiggler

Re: Kits

Post by tvh » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:26 pm

Ordering and figuring out which parts I need is the least fun part of DIY, in my view. However, Tony's boards use a lot of the same components, so if you end up getting more than one board from him you'll see you can save money and time by ordering parts in volume. Also, some components like capacitors and especially resistors are cheaper by the 100.

That said, he's got a link for some mouser BOMs on his site. It may be a little out of date but it helped me get started and the big common parts usually don't get discontinued. http://www.oakleysound.com/projects.htm (at end of page)

I've only built about 20 modules of his so far but I have a decent inventory of resistors, capacitors, pots, etc. I feel like it's more of a long term investment for DIY vs one full kit at a time, especially if you get test equipment. It should theoretically be cheaper than full kits for each module but it takes a lot of modules for the savings to kick in. I'm not too concerned about that, though.

Return to “Oakley Sound Systems”