How to keep the sequencer in "tune" with a separate oscillator

Discussion and support for users and builders of Oakley Sound musical products.

Moderators: Kent, Synthbuilder

waldenpotato
Common Wiggler

How to keep the sequencer in "tune" with a separate oscillator

Post by waldenpotato » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:13 pm

I'm imagining using the Eurorack sequencer to accompany me while I play a keyboard. The sequencer will be driving an oscillator or two while the keyboard will be driving separate oscillators.

Is there a recommended way for these separate oscillators to be in tune or on the same scale?

Pav
Wiggling with Experience

Re: How to keep the sequencer in "tune" with a separate oscillator

Post by Pav » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:53 pm

Hi,
The way your question is posed may need a tiny clarification to see what your really asking but I'll give it a go. Both the keyboard and the sequencer generate a controlling voltage into the 1 volt per octave input of their respective oscillators. You tune / calibrate the oscillators to respond with the note value you expect from a specific voltage . For instance your midi to cv module assuming a midi keyboard will generate a specific note like C2 or C4 in response to zero volts cv. Folks can interpose a Quantizer module before the oscillator(s) to force a note cv to lock on to a specific scale.

You migh want to look at the user guides for an Oakley oscillator and the midiDAC modules to see how we calibrate them.

Hope that gets you more responses
rgds Pav

waldenpotato
Common Wiggler

Post by waldenpotato » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:57 pm

To clarify:

The sequencer has a set of 8 knobs for each channel. These set the control voltages exiting the sequencer. If the sequencer is driving an oscillator from one of its channels then these knobs will be controlling the pitch generated from the oscillator.

In this scenario I'm curious if there is a way to make sure that the knobs are set so that they fit into one of the 12 notes in an octave on a keyboard. They could be set in between some of these 12 notes.

I'm just curious if there is a way to easily set those knobs so that they are hitting the same voltages that the keyboard is generating.

Maybe another way to think about it might be like this:
Is there a good way to make sure the knobs on the sequencer's channel(s) match the keys on the keyboard? How can I generate a sequence and then play along with it on my keyboard and have them be on the same scale? If I were playing A4 and C4 on the keyboard is there a tool or an easy way to make sure the sequencer is playing the same A4 and C4 notes? I'm thinking that there probably isn't because the sequencer uses knobs to set its voltage rather than set values.

I just want to be able to accompany the sequencer with my keyboard. The sequencer drives a single synth voice while my keyboard drives a separate synth voice. I'm blabbering, so I hope what I want makes sense. Is a quantizer something that I want? Would that go between the sequencer and an oscillator to force the sequencer's control voltage to fit into a scale?

adnauseam
Veteran Wiggler

Post by adnauseam » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:32 pm

I don't have a 5U system so I can't comment on that...

I would suggest a quantizer would be helpful. The position of the knobs on the sequencer correspond to fully analog voltages and so you can either tune them very precisely for each note (and they will likely still be a little out of tune) or you can pass their voltages off to a quantizer to ensure they jump to and from specific voltages required for proper 1v/oct 12-tet voltages.

In addition, you should consider that unless all your oscillators are calibrated properly they won't all track the same way - sometimes there are even slight differences between 1v/oct sources. It's can be a sticky mess if you want it all to sound perfect. Perfect harmony is a lofty goal to reach for in the analog realm. But you can make things sound nice and buttery even without quantizers, it will just take more patience.

Kawouddd
Common Wiggler

Post by Kawouddd » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:42 pm

Depends on the sequencer 🤷‍♂️ eg a Frap usta will tell you the precise voltage it’s outputting, and you can adjust this as notes or volts. Any sequencer could be quantised to fit within a chosen scale / set of notes.

What the voltage does to an actual note then, yeah. Depends on your oscillators.

waldenpotato
Common Wiggler

Post by waldenpotato » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:13 pm

I have a Eurorack system and am wanting to use the Oakley Eurorack Sequencer.

I'm okay with things note being perfect but I'd like the harmonies to sound good together. I'll have to look into quantizers - I'm unfamiliar with what they do exactly.

Thanks.
Last edited by waldenpotato on Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eljay
Common Wiggler

Post by eljay » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:13 pm

I recommend the DIY Sonic Potions Penrose Quantizer on the output from your sequencer. This is Eurorack format to match your Oakley sequencer and can be obtained from Thonk in the UK. I would recommend you get the full kit because the LED switches are only available from a small number of suppliers and are expensive in the small quantity required. Read the spec on the Thonk site, I think it will do what you require.

waldenpotato
Common Wiggler

Post by waldenpotato » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:08 pm

eljay wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:13 pm
I recommend the DIY Sonic Potions Penrose Quantizer
This is pretty cool!

Synthbuilder
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Synthbuilder » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:16 am

I use a Doepfer A-156 dual quantiser. You can pick these up very cheaply second hand. I think I paid 40GBP (50USD) for mine.

Return to “Oakley Sound Systems”