midiDAC question

Discussion and support for users and builders of Oakley Sound musical products.

Moderators: Kent, Synthbuilder

satindas
Veteran Wiggler

midiDAC question

Post by satindas » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:52 am

Not sure about this as I'm pretty new to the whole midi to cv thing. The midiDAC doesn't have a clock output so I was wondering..... if I create a series of 1/4, 1/8, 1/16 note (or whatever) cc pulses in my DAW can these be used to clock my Klee? This would be great cos each note of the sequence could have independently variable gate times, swing could be introduced, extended or non-repeating rhythmical patterns (as if the Klee isn't rhythmical enough) etc etc.

Thanks
These are bizarre manifestations of untamed high-frequency parasitic oscillations...
www.psycox.co.uk

Synthbuilder
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: midiDAC question

Post by Synthbuilder » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:06 am

satindas wrote:if I create a series of 1/4, 1/8, 1/16 note (or whatever) cc pulses in my DAW can these be used to clock my Klee?
Yes you can.

But... whether your DAW's midi interface will deliver them to the precision you are wanting is another thing.

I find that using drawn in gates tends to give better timing than CCs. But even then I still find midi from a modern PC somewhat sloppy compared to my old Atari, P3 or MMT8.

Tony

Paradigm X
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paradigm X » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:01 am

bumping an old thread to ask... is it possible to extract the midi clock in the mididac? a solid midi > analogue clock would be really helpful now i know what im doing a bit, and plenty of room on the (1u wide) panel. i know i could send a bunch of 16th notes to generate one, but then you lose the midi>gate function? (unless im misunderstanding something?

thanks

Synthbuilder
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Synthbuilder » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:12 pm

Paradigm X wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:01 am
is it possible to extract the midi clock in the mididac?
Sadly not. If I were to specify a midi-CV convertor now I would include it but back then I didn't think it would be that useful.

It's actually quite difficult to do really well, as you need to track changes in midi clock quickly but not too quickly as to introduce jitter due to the deficiencies of midi.

If you are using a DAW then one solution is to use a spare audio output. Create a repetitive audio click (eg. rim shot sample) and send that audio signal into an ADSR or comparator module to create a clean stream of tempo locked gate pulses. Audio outputs are way more accurate than any midi data.

Tony

Paradigm X
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paradigm X » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:32 am

Ahh, now were talking!

I use an MPC (dont use computers) which i have a sampled 'trigger' which does kind of work triggering some sequencers, but i was struggling to get a useful 'gate' (i.e. a longer pulse) which other sequencers need. I never thought to use an adsr (i finally got the other one i built working too) - so you just generate a fast attack long decay/release envelope to make a gate? Is your comparator better? I must admit i could not think of a use for it (my ignorance!) edit: hmm you seem to have discontinued it (?) :(

Many thanks as always, regards
Ben

Synthbuilder
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Synthbuilder » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:22 am

Paradigm X wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:32 am
... so you just generate a fast attack long decay/release envelope to make a gate?
You'll have to play with the settings as it will depend on the sample used. I think fast attack and no sustain, but a bit of decay and release. The sample you use should be really short with a fast attack and decay - hence a rim shot is pretty good. You can shorten the sample down a bit to make it really tight.

I think a VRG in one shot mode would be better than the ADSR. And the gate extractor output of the EFG would work too.
Is your comparator better?
A comparator may work too - but I've not tried it. One possible problem would be that the gate generated may not be single one shot but a burst of very short gates.
hmm you seem to have discontinued it (?) :(
Yep, as my 5U PCB sales dwindle the number of modules I supply in that format will inevitably decrease. Generally speaking, if I sell less than six PCBs of a particular module in a year, it'll get the chop. The TSL, DSL and Discon are on last time buys right now.

Tony

Paradigm X
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paradigm X » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:47 am

ok, many thanks, ill give them a try. i dont use the vrg as much as i should im still learning all this.

the trigger sample I use is one someone made on here, literally one sample peak, afaict. works well for drum triggers but not so much clocking.

brill, thanks again, Ben

Return to “Oakley Sound Systems”