STG Soundlabs Sea Devils Filter demo uploaded

Discussion and support for STG Soundlabs modules of all formats.

Moderators: Kent, suitandtieguy

suitandtieguy
Hammond King

STG Soundlabs Sea Devils Filter demo uploaded

Post by suitandtieguy » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:52 am

here's a demo of the new module, The Sea Devils Filter.

http://stgsoundlabs.com/demos/sea_devil ... mo_one.mp3

the oscillators are Synthesizers.com, and the keyboard controller used for 2 of the 5 tracks was a x0xb0x. everything else was either one of the modules i did, do, or will sell or the Ray Wilson envelopes i made panels for. the sequencing on 2 of the tracks are with the Voltage Mini-Store which isn't yet ready for sale, clocked from a Q106 on one track, and the Trigger Mini-Store clocked from the x0xb0x DIN sync on the other track. the effects are a delay/reverb patch on a PCM80, and all 5 tracks were recorded mono, one at a time, into an Alesis HD24 and mixed with no editing in Digital Performer 5 and converted to mp3 in iTunes.

zerosum
Modulation Maniac

Post by zerosum » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:17 am

I really like how it starts to pick up around 2:17 and get into alien war mode! :party:

suitandtieguy
Hammond King

Post by suitandtieguy » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:34 am

thanks for checking it out. it was nice to actually do some music again.

sandyb

Post by sandyb » Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:58 am

great sounds suitandtieguy! reminded me of all the scary 1970s UK scfi series' i used to watch, hiding behind the sofa, when i was growing up.

suitandtieguy
Hammond King

Post by suitandtieguy » Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:22 am

sandyb wrote:reminded me of all the scary 1970s UK scfi series' i used to watch, hiding behind the sofa, when i was growing up.
thanks very much. mission accomplished!

parasitk
Learn to swim

Re: STG Soundlabs Sea Devils Filter demo uploaded

Post by parasitk » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:40 pm

suitandtieguy wrote:here's a demo of the new module, The Sea Devils Filter.

http://stgsoundlabs.com/demos/sea_devil ... mo_one.mp3

Awesome track, and a great sounding filter! I'm definitely going to add this one once I start my small DotCom setup.

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:11 pm

Very nice stuff. Any chance of a Frac?

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:22 pm

Yeah! I really like it! I listened to it last night for over an hour (and I didn't have any nightmares ;-))

Today I've been listening to it for about 2 hours straight! Although . . . at one point I started worring about a good friend I haven't talked to in a while and ended up doing a search for him in the local newspaper's online obituaries . . . . . hhhhmmmm

Hey, this is kinda fun, matching up YouTube videos to STG's 'soundtrack'!

Unfortuntely this vid is way to short but . . . get the video ready to play and turn the YouTube player volume all the way down. Then start playing the sea devils mp3 and when the timer hits 1:44 start playing the video. Enjoy! ;-)

parasitk
Learn to swim

Post by parasitk » Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:39 pm

Yeah I definitely needed another listen! Part of the intro reminds me of the main Clockwork Orange theme, very very cool.

suitandtieguy
Hammond King

Post by suitandtieguy » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:33 pm

thanks for checking the tune out, gang.
Kent wrote:Any chance of a Frac?
totally.

neandrewthal
full clout y'all
Location: Spending warm summer days indoors writing frightening verse to a buck-toothed girl in Luxembourg

Post by neandrewthal » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:22 am

Initiate the sequence, create catastrophe.

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:19 am

holy crap :eek:

just stumbled upon this thread, can't believe i missed it

that track is FANTASTIC, just letting it play through a second time now...

sandyb wasn't joking....these sounds TAKE ME BACK

waaaay back, makes me think of being a little kid hearing these sounds on Dr. Who and on old Pink Floyd records :sb:

oh man, great work stg, I love this 3:00 we have the march of the evil 1970's robots :love:

ok i hope there's a frac version of this lovely little filter some day :guinness:

apemandan
Wiggling with Experience

Post by apemandan » Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:02 am

How does the Yyves Usson circuit compare to the Analogue Systems 500e? Love the track BTW i kept checking over my shoulder for cybermen when i was listening on my headphones... :cthulhu:

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:28 pm

I just relistened to the sea_devils_filter_demo_one.mp3 about 10 times in a row while admiring all the STG products on his site. I now have an overwhelming desire to purchase ALL STG products! :love:

. . . . . .I think I will be contacting The Lone Gunmen to analyze the mp3 and images for subliminal "buy-it-now" messages . . . :spin:

wetterberg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wetterberg » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:42 pm

JohnLRice wrote:I just relistened to the sea_devils_filter_demo_one.mp3 about 10 times in a row while admiring all the STG products on his site. I now have an overwhelming desire to purchase ALL STG products! :love:
well you could do a lot worse! :)

suitandtieguy
Hammond King

Post by suitandtieguy » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:46 pm

hey thanks for the kind words. i must admit i have inserted no sublimated messages into the track, and i'm glad to hear that my music is more successful in persuading people to buy my instruments than it is in keeping local bar gigs!

there _will_ be a frac version. however, the PCB needs to be laid out anew as the wiring is simply too complicated right now to go to production with it for that format, and i need to be able to do a euro version.

also, as far as comparisons with the AS filter go, i have no idea. it would be interesting to hear from someone who has both, and has considerable experience with both VCS3s and a Synthi 100.

ach_gott
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ach_gott » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:47 am

Would you be willing to offer populated boards so that we MOTM types can fit a new front panel on it?

suitandtieguy
Hammond King

Post by suitandtieguy » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:39 am

believe it or not, i'll have an MOTM format version for sale through Analogue Haven around the same time as the other formats.

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:43 am

suitandtieguy wrote:also, as far as comparisons with the AS filter go, i have no idea. it would be interesting to hear from someone who has both, and has considerable experience with both VCS3s and a Synthi 100.
hey I'm totally making this up because I don't know any better

but I always assumed that electronics of this sort - in particular from that era - aren't exact copies of each other.

I wouldn't at all be surprised if you got three Synthis, and the filters on each one sounded somewhat slightly different.

I bet the STG Sea Devil's filter, and the AS Synthi filter, sound somewhat slightly different.

I wonder/I betcha, if you had a bunch of Synthi's, you could find some that sounded closer to the AS filter, and some that sounded closer to the STG filter. I just have a feeling they would all be a little different, but within the same vibe for sure, given the (close-to)identical topology.

Personally I think the audio clip STG made says it all. I don't really care if it's the EXACT same sound as some old EMS machine someone digs up to compare. Obviously identical or not, the sound we all have in our heads IS THERE. That's more than good enough for me :sb:

suitandtieguy
Hammond King

Post by suitandtieguy » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:42 pm

Muff Wiggler wrote:I wonder/I betcha, if you had a bunch of Synthi's, you could find some that sounded closer to the AS filter, and some that sounded closer to the STG filter. I just have a feeling they would all be a little different, but within the same vibe for sure, given the (close-to)identical topology.
bingo. i don't think any two VCS3s sound alike, to an even greater degree than the fact that any two minimoogs don't sound alike. if Rick Wakeman can tell the difference between his 6 minimoogs blindfolded, i'm pretty sure M Frog Labat would have had a quicker time at it with his wall of Synthis.

even in the five i've built so far, there have been small differences between each one in exponential response, resonance response, and signal levels. and this is even with using 1% tolerance resistors everywhere. all the variance comes from the fact i'm using discrete transistors, polyester film capacitors, and discrete diodes. i've already had to replace one 2N3819 transistor because the self-resonance actually depends on that part, and replacing it fixed the problem. fortunately my boards are all 2 oz copper process so they withstand rework better than the average, 1 oz copper process, boards.

jneilnyc
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jneilnyc » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:55 am

Love the clip! Let's hear some more.

So what's the difference between the Sea Devil and the YuSynth version on which it was based?
I know the YuSynth has an extra input, and I can get the YuSynth in MOTM format (though it takes up an extra space).

Any major difference behind the panel?

Thanks!
Last edited by jneilnyc on Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

parasitk
Learn to swim

Post by parasitk » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:16 pm

I'm psyched for the Frac version of this filter. I'm not so much into filters these days, but besides the Mankato, this is the one I'm looking forward to! :party:

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:28 am

:party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party:

I just (finally) ordered my Sea Devils filter!! 8_) :goo: :sb: :hihi: :hyper:

Suburban Bather
Miami Flesh

Post by Suburban Bather » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:49 am

JohnLRice wrote::party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party:

I just (finally) ordered my Sea Devils filter!! 8_) :goo: :sb: :hihi: :hyper:
You'll love it! Corrosive element injecting filter :omg:
Heavy Lids

Ranxerox