STG Mankato Filter

Discussion and support for STG Soundlabs modules of all formats.

Moderators: Kent, suitandtieguy

chimologic
Wiggling with Experience

Post by chimologic » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:38 pm

sorry to ask again but any word on the Mankato coming to Euro format? would really love one...

goiks
Hardest Tryer

Re: Are this attenuator points on currently shipping product

Post by goiks » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:36 am

Kent wrote:I checked out the PCB. It looks like there are some un-exploited solder pads for attenuators on the CV & Audio inputs. Would the resourceful fellow be able to make a little 1 space panel and wire these up directly? If so, what value of pots would said fellow seek?
100k i believe. almost done with my mankato, stg style. i only have to decide whether to use more pots or jumper those pads.

http://www.magsmoke.com/products.asp <--- there's a parts list there.

neandrewthal
full clout y'all
Location: Spending warm summer days indoors writing frightening verse to a buck-toothed girl in Luxembourg

Post by neandrewthal » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:50 am

I just ignore any attenuator pads on PCB's, run the input jack straight to 100k pot, then on to the input pad.
Initiate the sequence, create catastrophe.

suitandtieguy
Hammond King

Post by suitandtieguy » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:34 am

Kent wrote:I checked out the PCB. It looks like there are some un-exploited solder pads for attenuators on the CV & Audio inputs. Would the resourceful fellow be able to make a little 1 space panel and wire these up directly? If so, what value of pots would said fellow seek?
you can if you like, but my implementation of that PCB bypasses the attenuators completely. you'd be better off building an independent passive attenuator bank with that effort.
chimologic wrote:sorry to ask again but any word on the Mankato coming to Euro format? would really love one...
i'm going to ping Tim about it soon. i haven't heard from him about it in a while.

it's going to have to wait a couple of months. this project needs a new PCB layout to migrate to eurorack, and i need to work something out with him before Det3 should work on it.

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:17 am

chimologic, the pull toward the Frac-Side is strong with you!

Join us Euro/Frac Heads!

chimologic
Wiggling with Experience

Post by chimologic » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:29 pm

NO!

Eurorack and Serge 4LIFE! :jedi:

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:45 pm

:vader: I am your Fracher! :vader:

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:42 pm

goikem wrote:
100k i believe. almost done with my mankato, stg style. i only have to decide whether to use more pots or jumper those pads.

http://www.magsmoke.com/products.asp <--- there's a parts list there.
Thanks, goikem.

goiks
Hardest Tryer

Post by goiks » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:04 pm

Kent wrote: Thanks, goikem.
No problem - since I don't know much, I have to help when I can!

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:00 am

goikem wrote: No problem - since I don't know much, I have to help when I can!
Not only a life philosophy, but a smartly refreshing breakfast cereal!

Suburban Bather
Miami Flesh

Post by Suburban Bather » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:19 pm

Ok folks, I'm ready to post some demos of the Mankato. The first four demos will be the Mankato going through the QMMG. The QMMG is receiving envelopes from a Doepfer 143-1 complex EG/LFO. I'm sending 0, 45, 90, and 135 degree outs of the Mankato into the QMMG. Also, the Mankato is receiving square wave modulation at about 50% from a Dotcom oscillator. I will post separate demo's of each of the settings on the QMMG. The first will be VCA, followed by BOTH, then LP, and finally HP. The only settings tweaked will be the control offset and manual feedback control on the QMMG. Parameters on the other modules used for these demos will stay the same.

Later on tonight I'll have demo(s) of the Mankato through two Moogerfooger ringmods.

Demo 1 QMMG in VCA mode- MankatoVsQMMG1.aif - 10.31MB

Sorry, I'll convert the rest of the demos into Mp3. They should stream directly from Zshare then.

I'll make new posts for every demo. I hope these demos titillate your senses :lick:
Last edited by Suburban Bather on Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heavy Lids

Suburban Bather
Miami Flesh

Post by Suburban Bather » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:41 pm

Demo 2 QMMG in Both mode-
MankatoVsQMMG2.mp3 - 1.49MB
Heavy Lids

Suburban Bather
Miami Flesh

Post by Suburban Bather » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:56 pm

Demo 3 in LP mode on the QMMG-
MankatoVsQMMG3.mp3 - 1.72MB
Heavy Lids

Suburban Bather
Miami Flesh

Post by Suburban Bather » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:13 pm

Demo 4, QMMG in HP mode-
MankatoVsQMMG4.mp3 - 1.81MB

More to come with the Mankato going through two ringmods later.
Heavy Lids

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:26 am

ok, i took the damn freqshifter challenge you lazy sods :mad:

like i'm not busy enough already :oops: :hihi:

ok - pretty cool actually! thanks stg...

i couldn't do it under ideal circumstances - I don't have two of the same ringmod. I have a CGS RR, a Klang Werk and a Dalek.

So, I got sick of waiting for you guys and i tried it out using different combinations of these - and it worked out pretty well!

I actually have a second CGS RR board here, I just need to wire up jacks and a panel, this gives me more reason to get off my ass to do that soon, so I'll repeat the test at that point and see how much of a difference it makes.

ok, patch as described a few pages back.

What you are hearing -

There's three sections, each seperated by a pause. At first you hear simply the 'source material', not going through any of the mankato-ringmods-phaseshift-mixer-frequencyshifter contraption. Just so you'll have an idea. It's simple - noise ring feeds a miniwave quantizer, drives a blacet VCO, sawtooth out recorded.

Ok, after the pause, you hear that same sawtooth, only this time routed through the contraption. This time it's CGSRR and Dalek. Mank starting at highest possible frequency, then the frequshift you hear is me lowering the frequency control on the mank. I lower it all the way, then bring it back up. Then repeat a couple of times at different speeds.

you WILL want your subwoofer powered up for this btw.

ok, then there's a pause, then it starts again.

in this third section, the Klang Werk has replaced the Dalek. Even though I'm injecting an external carrier into the KW, the three wave 'type' options each make the effect sound different, so you hear three down-up sweeps, the first on setting 1, the second on setting 2, the third on setting 3.

then i just get stupid for a bit and speed up the VCO and the noisering and just FSU for a while because it's so fun.

enjoy

Suburban Bather
Miami Flesh

Post by Suburban Bather » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:46 am

Muff Wiggler wrote:ok, i took the damn freqshifter challenge you lazy sods :mad:
:lol:

I was too tired to get to the frequency shifter patch after posting the demos with the Mankato+QMMG.

I'll get on the frequency shifter patch when I get home from work.

Your demo was pretty rad! Can't wait to try it myself.
Heavy Lids

pristak
Common Wiggler

Post by pristak » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:24 am

Well, I just got the Mankato. I already have the Cwejman dual ring mod. It looks like I'll have to get a blacet Mixer/Processor and try this freq shifter patch out.

Suburban Bather
Miami Flesh

Post by Suburban Bather » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:10 pm

Mankato-two ring mods.mp3 - 2.06MB
Not what I was expecting, but what the hell.
Heavy Lids

Roycie Roller
Death Row Wiggler

Post by Roycie Roller » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:09 am

Nice demos guys! It sounds great as a frequency shifter. Can it do this?-

http://www.modcan.com/samples/fs/neal%20young.mp3

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:12 pm

Suburban Bather wrote:Mankato-two ring mods.mp3 - 2.06MB
interesting - quite a bit cleaner than what i had gotten

i really have to build that second CGSRR and try it again with identical ringmods

parasitk
Learn to swim

Post by parasitk » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:19 pm

Muff - love the bit of the clip with the KlangWerk!

Suburban Bather
Miami Flesh

Post by Suburban Bather » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:42 pm

Muff Wiggler wrote:
Suburban Bather wrote:Mankato-two ring mods.mp3 - 2.06MB
interesting - quite a bit cleaner than what i had gotten

i really have to build that second CGSRR and try it again with identical ringmods
Thanks Muff! I forgot to remind my self that your demos featured two different ringmods. Still, interesting tones regardless.

I'll see what I can come up with on what Roycie Roller requested. Anybody got any requests on what music to run through the patch? Sorry, no boring folk music in my cd/mp3 collection :lol:
Heavy Lids

Roycie Roller
Death Row Wiggler

Post by Roycie Roller » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:50 pm

Actually, that was a joke! The first time i checked out Modcan's frequency shifter demos, i thought the Neil Young song was hilarious :hihi: , but i love a lot of his music. I think the demo actually shows quite well just how far a frequency shifter can mangle sounds.

neandrewthal
full clout y'all
Location: Spending warm summer days indoors writing frightening verse to a buck-toothed girl in Luxembourg

Post by neandrewthal » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:50 pm

Suburban Bather wrote: Sorry, no boring folk music in my cd/mp3 collection :lol:
You're fired from music.
Initiate the sequence, create catastrophe.

Suburban Bather
Miami Flesh

Post by Suburban Bather » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:52 pm

Well I just tried this and no where near what the Modcan demo produces. I took the cd player out to a mixer for a mono signal, then to a signal processor to get the level up, sent that signal to a distributor to get the cd player into the ring modulators audio ins, the Mankato 12db and 24db outs into the carrier ins of the two ringmods, inverted the signal of one the ringmods outs, and mixed the two ringmod signals. All I got was a massively distorted signal of the music. I was able to produce some changes in sound, but it was still blanketed by a wall of distortion. Perhaps I need to try this patch in a different manner?

Sorry Roycie! I don't mean to offend, but when it comes to oldies, I really can't stand folky music. I have heard a few Neil Young tunes that were cool, but in general, its just not something I'd go for.
Heavy Lids

Return to “STG Soundlabs”