STG Mankato Filter

Discussion and support for STG Soundlabs modules of all formats.

Moderators: Kent, suitandtieguy

Roycie Roller
Death Row Wiggler

Post by Roycie Roller » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:09 pm

No worries, i'm not offended. Most folk music IS pretty boring :lol:
I wonder if a demodulator would eliminate some of the distortion you're getting. Can you patch a demodulator with 2 moog ringmod's?

Suburban Bather
Miami Flesh

Post by Suburban Bather » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:57 pm

Roycie Roller wrote:No worries, i'm not offended. Most folk music IS pretty boring :lol:
I wonder if a demodulator would eliminate some of the distortion you're getting. Can you patch a demodulator with 2 moog ringmod's?

Are you referring to the moddemod? As far as ringmods go, two MF-102's is all I have.

on folk music... how about this- Ok, so its not folk, but this the what I'd be willing to jam to in the park with a real good ale and a smoke.
Heavy Lids

Roycie Roller
Death Row Wiggler

Post by Roycie Roller » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:15 pm

I was wondering if there might be a way to patch a demodulator with 2 moog ringmods, like the modDemod or 2 CGS Real Ring mods does..

Montag
The Wizard of Gates

Post by Montag » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:13 pm

I can't wait for this to come out in Euro! Any word as to how close it's getting?

I hope the design resembles the frac version, as that looks so badass. I'm not sure if I'd dig the colored euro stg knobs on this module though, the silver frac ones would look great...

suitandtieguy
Hammond King

Post by suitandtieguy » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:06 pm

there is another project in the queue which needs to be at prototype stage before any new STG Soundlabs modules are made.

the eumank will visually follow the style of the other EU format modules i make. sorry if that's disappointing.

Suburban Bather
Miami Flesh

Post by Suburban Bather » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:22 pm

suitandtieguy wrote:The eumank will visually follow the style of the other EU format modules i make. sorry if that's disappointing.
I almost wish your Dotcom format modules had the colored knobs like the Euro. You would be the only manufacture that deviates from the Dotcom/MOTM color scheme, while various Euro manufacturers pretty much do what the hell they want with colors and panel graphics. I find it much easier to navigate my Euro system than my 5U. Well, the MFB modules would be the exception, they all look the same :lol:
Heavy Lids

NV
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by NV » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:11 pm

Montag wrote:I hope the design resembles the frac version, as that looks so badass. I'm not sure if I'd dig the colored euro stg knobs on this module though, the silver frac ones would look great...
Just for the record, you could order some of the Frac knobs for a couple bucks and replace them on the module easily. Conversely, the STG Euro knobs are black knobs with colored caps inside them, I believe made by Eagle Plastic Devices. Different colored caps are about 15 cents each from Mouser and can easily be replaced if you prefer a black and silver theme or all green/red/whatever.

suitandtieguy
Hammond King

Post by suitandtieguy » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:23 pm

for the record, if i stock the knob, i'll put it on at request.

Montag
The Wizard of Gates

Post by Montag » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:44 pm

Awesome.

The aesthetics isn't a huge deal, and I do like the colored knobs on your other euro modules, but I just really dig the look for the frac Mankato. Is the panel layout going to be similar?

I love modules that stand out because, as suburban bather pointed out, it's much easier to navigate the system when playing.

NV
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by NV » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:43 pm

Montag wrote: I love modules that stand out because, as suburban bather pointed out, it's much easier to navigate the system when playing.
That's one of the things I found odd about STG's earlier comment that many MOTM users were annoyed with his non-gridwork designs. I've never had problems visually navigating a Euro or DotCom system, but MOTM systems are a true logistics nightmare for anyone except the system's owner who is intimately familiar with it. Even then, a slight rearrangement leads to some confusion until you get used to the new layout. But I guess some people are really into the visual uniformity thing.

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:04 pm

I experienced exactly that issue when playing about with the Curetronic rig. If you don't know the system & modules by heart, it is sooooo easy to get confused and lost.

ach_gott
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ach_gott » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:27 pm

I really don't find it hard to navigate my large rig at all. I know exactly where everything is. And since no one else plays it, I guess it's never been an issue.

Now, having said that, I am not a slave to the grid and I really like the MOTM design of the STG Mankato filter. Now I just need to cough up some money and buy one. :love:

russma
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by russma » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:54 pm

Apologies for the necro-threading, but is the Mankato still available in MOTM-format?

It's out of stock at AH, so I thought I'd check here. Forgive me if the answer is ancient history.

IB

dude
fuck yeah!

Post by dude » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:16 pm

i was wondering the same thing...thinking about buying another a ways down the road.

theinnerpalm
Wiggling with Experience

Post by theinnerpalm » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:10 am

^^^ me too

decaying.sine
Broken <--> Fixed

Post by decaying.sine » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:56 am

I ordered the MOTM Mankato from AH at the end of Nov/begining of Dec. At the time, it still said in stock. Shawn contacted me and said that was a mistake. He checked with STG who still had the PCB and MOTM face plate. STG built it up in less than a week, and shipped it directly from the Soundlabs. She sits pretty at my place now! I thought Shawn mentioned that there wouldn't be many more (or any more) MOTM Mankato's from STG. However, I would simply ask STG, and I am sure you'll get a quick response.
Brian
"I must create a system or be enslaved by another mans; I will not reason and compare: my business is to create." William Blake

"Vactrols ringing, Dude." "Thank you Donny"

SynthBaron
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SynthBaron » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:01 am

decaying.sine wrote:I thought Shawn mentioned that there wouldn't be many more (or any more) MOTM Mankato's from STG.
Not in standard MOTM grid pattern = slow sales.

suitandtieguy
Hammond King

Post by suitandtieguy » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:14 pm

there will be four more MOTM format Manks and that's it from me, unless you want to pay 800 USD and wait two months. if you want one, let Shawn know. I'll be building them sometime over the next month.

I should mention, in regards to my grid "violation", that I currently use MOTM format Wave Folder panel stock as scrap aluminum for random jackfields. for example Droolmaster0's cabinets use one cut in two pieces, one for DIN sync and the other for power inlet.
http://suitandtieguy.com
http://stgsoundlabs.com
http://knobcon.com
suboptimal wrote:... if it's music you want to make with your modular, STG should be in your system.

russma
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by russma » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:30 pm

Any designer worth his salt knows that grids are meant to be broken.

8_)

dude
fuck yeah!

Post by dude » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:37 pm

just wanted to say one more time that my motm format mankato is my favorite analog vco and i couldn't give a shit about 'the grid'. i think the grid is boring and the layout design on ALL the mank's are just straight pure amazing and inspiring. it is beautiful and looks/works great next to motm/modcan/oakley/cgs. imnsho.

:stg:

wsy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Ahhh.... now I understand.

Post by wsy » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:46 am

dude wrote:just wanted to say one more time that my motm format mankato is my favorite analog vco and i couldn't give a shit about 'the grid'. i think the grid is boring and the layout design on ALL the mank's are just straight pure amazing and inspiring. it is beautiful and looks/works great next to motm/modcan/oakley/cgs. imnsho.

:stg:
A while ago Roger remarked on how the Dotcom layouts were "placed to make things easy" and not "beholden to some godless grid". And then he put a smiley.

Now I think I am starting to understand. :hmm:

- Bill (who doesn't have any MOTM format stuff, and it seems less and less likely
every day...)
"Life is short. But we can always buy longer patch cords" - Savage

suitandtieguy
Hammond King

Post by suitandtieguy » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:08 am

way to bring a thread back from the grave!!

and yeah fuck the grid. (however i like The Grid, Richard Norris and David Ball, quite a bit.)
http://suitandtieguy.com
http://stgsoundlabs.com
http://knobcon.com
suboptimal wrote:... if it's music you want to make with your modular, STG should be in your system.

det3
Common Wiggler

Post by det3 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:45 pm

It's not directly related, but apropos. Seymour Cray (the famed supercomputer designer) once said of his computer designs, which were aesthetic marvels - "Computers are a part of your environment, so they should be more than just rectangular boxes. In that vein, we make computers, not test equipment"

While the systems were functional, they sure were sexy. The point is, you have to have balance, and not rely on a group of rules blindly. In my first modular system design several years ago, I fell prey to the "godless grid" - and Suit promptly smacked me upside the head. We've been colleagues and friends ever since. :-)
Detachment 3
Destroy what Destroys You

SpunRaddish
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SpunRaddish » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:16 am

I'm curious - since this works as a slew limiter, and has phase shifted outs, does it work as a phase shifted "envelope" with low to no resonance when when receiving pulses at the audio in? Or is the resonance necessary to adjust the output/s?

Vakancy of Disko
Common Wiggler

Post by Vakancy of Disko » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:58 pm

Sorry to re-re-resurrect this thread but it's got me so excited for the Mankato I have coming in MU...hopefully in the next month. I can't wait to try out all these ideas! I think I might want to get a second ring mod now too lol :omg:

Return to “STG Soundlabs”