STG Mankato Filter

Discussion and support for STG Soundlabs modules of all formats.

Moderators: Kent, suitandtieguy

Luka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Luka » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:31 am

i have a half built one :/

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:58 am

ooh sorry for the late reply, getting crazy over here with 'any moment a baby arrives'

yep, i have one.... hopefully soon i can record it for you

super, super, super cool module.... although I haven't really used quadrature functions at audio rates it IS a modulation monster

easily one of my very favorite modules. right up there at the top

eyehue
High Desert

Post by eyehue » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:40 pm

i have a DIY Mankato, totally love it. but i don't really use it for sine waves (yet). what i do love about it are the shitload of outputs and phasing options, not to mention three attenuated fm inputs. i guess i've done a little experimentation with it as an oscillator by feeding it back into itself and making it cry, haha. i should try more of that method, inspired by a little essay Grant Richter wrote on the Wiard list not too long ago about trying to treat every module as its own little noise box (a la lunetta or atari punk console) and see what you come up with for new ideas of patching.

elemental
Wiggling with Experience

Post by elemental » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:42 pm

Thanks... I'm really into using sines these days, either as audio rate modulation sources or starting points for distortion/wave shaping. I'm currently using an Analogue Systems A-110 as my dedicated clean sine osc. Thing is its quite hard to tune! I also have an AFG on the way which I hear has a good clean sine...
I'm also interested in the multiphase modulation possibilities, and all the filter outputs.

And somehow my interest in the Zeroscillator has been sparked again.... damn the interweb and my geeky surfing habits!!

parasitk
Learn to swim

Post by parasitk » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:29 pm

I'd love to hear some more clips of this being used as a quadrature sine oscillator... Anyone?

lotus-eater
1-Post Wiggler

Post by lotus-eater » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:19 am

Now that you lucky Mankato owners have had some time to get familiar with this thing, would anyone care to put up some demos? I'd really like to hear some examples of the quadrature oscillators being used for frequency shifting. That expander module (to fill in the functions necessary for FS) would really make this a must-own module for me.

apemandan
Wiggling with Experience

Post by apemandan » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:51 am

I'd love to hear some too, especially any freq shifting and shepard tones! I have bought the PCB and have just ordered the parts.. In at the DIY deep end!! :eek:

suitandtieguy
Hammond King

Post by suitandtieguy » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:33 pm

are there any Mank owners with 2 ring modulators and a Blacet mixer/processor?

parasitk
Learn to swim

Post by parasitk » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:05 pm

Quadrature sine oscillator? FM? Anyone? Please?

fluxmonkey
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fluxmonkey » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:09 pm

suitandtieguy wrote:are there any Mank owners with 2 ring modulators and a Blacet mixer/processor?
yes. whatchu got in mind?

wetterberg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wetterberg » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:32 pm

fluxmonkey wrote:
suitandtieguy wrote:are there any Mank owners with 2 ring modulators and a Blacet mixer/processor?
Patching a frequency shifter?

Kwote
Voltage Controlled Crackpot

Post by Kwote » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:18 pm

lotus-eater wrote:Now that you lucky Mankato owners have had some time to get familiar with this thing, would anyone care to put up some demos?
Self expression is as essential as breathing
kwotemusic.com
my other sites

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:44 pm

you can really 'hear' the mutiple sines of the Mankato used as a modulation source (of the AFG) in the recording i posted here

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:45 pm

yes, but they are not the same ringmods (a Klang Werk and a CGS RealRing)

wanna give me a cool patch to try out?

if the RMs need to be identical, I have a second CGS RR board I could probably add the requisite jacks and panel to pretty fast

Roycie Roller
Death Row Wiggler

Post by Roycie Roller » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:16 pm

Muff Wiggler wrote:you can really 'hear' the mutiple sines of the Mankato used as a modulation source (of the AFG) in the recording i posted here
That's an awesome track! :tinfoil:

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:56 pm

well thank-you :oops:

chimologic
Wiggling with Experience

Post by chimologic » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:44 pm

ok so when does it come out in eurorack

parasitk
Learn to swim

Post by parasitk » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:53 pm

Kwote wrote:
lotus-eater wrote:Now that you lucky Mankato owners have had some time to get familiar with this thing, would anyone care to put up some demos?

wetterberg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wetterberg » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:59 pm

fluxmonkey wrote:

suitandtieguy
Hammond King

Post by suitandtieguy » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:48 am

parasitk wrote:
Kwote wrote:
i've probably posted this in numerous places, but here's a track i did which has the Mank on every track:

http://share.ovi.com/media/suitandtiegu ... eguy.10003

kick drum is the 6 db/oct output in full resonance, and the filter is used as a mixer on the hihat track, and as a filter on all the other tracks.
wetterberg wrote:
fluxmonkey wrote:
i believe if you take, say the 12 dB/oct output and the 24 dB/oct output in full regeneration and feed them into two ring modulators' carrier inputs, and a source material of some kind into the modulator inputs, then feed the outputs of those two ring modulators into two channels of a Blacet mixer/processor phase-inverted from one another you should be able to construct a frequency shifter. but i could be wrong.

chimologic
Wiggling with Experience

Post by chimologic » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:35 am

thats cool but....

when does it come out in EuroRack format?

apemandan
Wiggling with Experience

Post by apemandan » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:47 am

suitandtieguy wrote:
wetterberg wrote:
fluxmonkey wrote:
i believe if you take, say the 12 dB/oct output and the 24 dB/oct output in full regeneration and feed them into two ring modulators' carrier inputs, and a source material of some kind into the modulator inputs, then feed the outputs of those two ring modulators into two channels of a Blacet mixer/processor phase-inverted from one another you should be able to construct a frequency shifter. but i could be wrong.
I'd really like to hear this! I think if you then feed the whole caboodle back on itself via the mixer you should get a sheppard tone! :hyper:

thermionicjunky
Thyratron Genius

Post by thermionicjunky » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:02 am

apemandan wrote:
suitandtieguy wrote:
wetterberg wrote:
fluxmonkey wrote:
I'd really like to hear this! I think if you then feed the whole caboodle back on itself via the mixer you should get a sheppard tone! :hyper:
I always thought that you'd need a dome filter , in order to obtain a 90 degree phase network. Still, the Mankato gets you part of the way there.

neandrewthal
full clout y'all
Location: Spending warm summer days indoors writing frightening verse to a buck-toothed girl in Luxembourg

Post by neandrewthal » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:25 am

I wonder how hard it would be to make a module that takes any input and has 8 phase shifted outputs.
Initiate the sequence, create catastrophe.

Kwote
Voltage Controlled Crackpot

Post by Kwote » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:04 pm

CGS has a dome filter pcb available. hmmm..
Self expression is as essential as breathing
kwotemusic.com
my other sites

Return to “STG Soundlabs”