Show us your DIY MMModules...

Dedicated forum for the MMM synth modules, both production and DIY units.

Moderators: Kent, mmm

Adam-V
Count Modula

Post by Adam-V » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:06 pm

That's a great panel fluxmonkey.

Cheers,
Adam-V

Jason Brock
just visiting

Post by Jason Brock » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:00 pm

Received a box from Front Panel Express yesterday. :party:

I pieced it together but I probably won't be soldering anything this week since I think I caught the flu and all I want to do right now is take a nap. I have uploaded the FPD file to the Yahoo Group. All parts are from George except the 1/4" jack which is a Switchcraft 12A (so I know that one fits). Buying the separate mounting panel from FPE was expensive but it probably saved me a lot of headaches.

EDIT - I removed the mounting board panel FPE document from the Yahoo group. It works if you have extra space in your rack, but it's not a 100% perfect solution because even when I switched to shorter standoffs the power cable sticks out to the left of the module beyond the side of the panel. I don't want people ordering it and being surprised when it doesn't fit right, so I removed it. I now think the best solution for MMM panels is to mount one or two boards parallel to the faceplate. Two stacked boards will be more shallow than one board mounted at 90 degrees. The width will just barely fit behind a 14hp Euro panel. 16hp will give you a bit of working room - but if you wire up two boards behind a 14hp panel you get a double module.

Image Image
Last edited by Jason Brock on Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

cv slime 800
Low Frequency Wiggler

Post by cv slime 800 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:57 am

Really nice soundxplorer! :woah:

fluxmonkey
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Sample/Hold in frac

Post by fluxmonkey » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:19 pm

fluxmonkey wrote:Matson S/H in 1/2 width frac panel:
<image>
the internal oscillator and clock pots are supposed to be 1meg reverse log, which i didn't have so i used linear... they really need to be reverse log (very small usable range now at abt 3:00), so i've ordered some from smallbear.
got the reverse log pots and swapped 'em in... much better, very happy.

b
www.fluxmonkey.com

BUILDER FOR HIRE - kits or custom, email me with your needs

Adam-V
Count Modula

Post by Adam-V » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:20 pm

That's some really nice Euro MMM soundxplorer.

Cheers,
Adam-V

negativspace
Manhattan Analog

Post by negativspace » Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:26 pm

So I finally had some time over the holiday to sit down and wire up the Quad EG. I added LEDs to the panel and used Alpha 16mm push-pull switch pots for the AD/ASR mode switches - in is AD, out is ASR. The panel is 10hp. Here's how it turned out:

Notes:

1) I asked George to leave the DIP-switch and its socket off of my board when he built it. The switch pots are wired with a center and back post on one row connected to the PCB pads. If you prefer In = ASR/Out = AD then wire up the front and center posts on one row instead. I clipped the 4 unused pins on mine to avoid any unnecessary shorts... it's really #$&#&ing tight in there with 8 pots facing inwards and 4 LEDs down the centerline...

2) LED signals are taken off the output jacks and all 4 LEDs go to ground via 4.7k resistors. (Any smaller than that and it had a negative impact on the strength of the output.)

pugix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pugix » Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:20 pm

negativspace wrote:So I finally had some time over the holiday to sit down and wire up the Quad EG. I added LEDs to the panel and used Alpha 16mm push-pull switch pots for the AD/ASR mode switches - in is AD, out is ASR. The panel is 10hp. Here's how it turned out:

Very neat and tidy! :tu:
So compact. It's still mini!
Richard
http://www.pugix.com

"Everything in our world is actually always modulated by everything else." - Peter B

Adam-V
Count Modula

Post by Adam-V » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:48 pm

Very nice indeed!

Cheers,
Adam-V

negativspace
Manhattan Analog

Post by negativspace » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:29 pm

Thanks, guys! I love the module, now I've just gotta figure out which one I wanna tackle next. :tu:

mamonu
90s ambient miscreant!!

Post by mamonu » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:55 pm

@Jason Brock : Really nice.

Im going to try to do the same...(excited!! :sb: )

I registered on the yahoo group (waiting for approval)
in order to get the FPD ...

Thanks for making it availiable! And :hail: to MMM since its an option much better than the Doepfer one...

Btw what was the price for the separate mounting panel from FPE ?
trying to find that too but didnt have much luck....

(Edit: ooooh i see what youve done... clever.... ).

scozbor
100th Member!

Post by scozbor » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:38 am

gate delay!
hasty drilling let me down on the LED's :despair:

D/A A/D
glorious dissonance

Post by D/A A/D » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:02 am

Still looks great!

Jason Brock
just visiting

Post by Jason Brock » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:00 pm

@negativespace - very nice! The push/pull pots were an excellent idea.
mamonu wrote: Btw what was the price for the separate mounting panel from FPE ?
trying to find that too but didnt have much luck....
The mounting panel was $20 and the faceplate was around $45. When I bent the mounting panel it made some horrible cracking noises but I don't think the metal was weakened (too much). It's not an ideal solution but it hasn't fallen off so far. :hihi: I still haven't wired it up yet. I wasn't able to even start building my new Euro case until last weekend.

Jason Brock
just visiting

Post by Jason Brock » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:02 pm

scozbor wrote:gate delay!
Looks excellent! Is that Frac or Euro? Or __?

Adam-V
Count Modula

Post by Adam-V » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:23 pm

I agree, it's still a great panel.

Cheers,
Adam-V

scozbor
100th Member!

Post by scozbor » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:07 pm

Jason Brock wrote:
scozbor wrote:gate delay!
Looks excellent! Is that Frac or Euro? Or __?
frac powah!

Jason Brock
just visiting

Post by Jason Brock » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:46 pm

Finally had some time to wire up my Amplitude Follower.
It didn't take nearly as long as I thought it would.
Everything works. :party:

[video][/video]

mmm
yummm!

Post by mmm » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:42 am

Cool way to apply that Jason :yay:

That trim pot is for the hysteresis adjustment for setting the level at which the gate will drop. So, you can set the threshhold for the level the gate will trigger and a lower level (or equal) that the gate drops out with the trim.

Typically, it's used to prevent gate chatter when the input signal is close to the gate threshhold. Once you've found a comfortable setting for your application, it rarely ever needs to be changed.

G

valis
aliens killed bigfoot

Post by valis » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:14 pm

Every time I browse this thread I'm so impressed...

Anyway, here's my panel for my Amp Follower. I'm still trying to improve my metal working an panel design skills, so keep that in mind. I found this metal at a metal recycling yard and got it cut to 4U. Sorry that the pic is a little lo-fi.

mmm
yummm!

Post by mmm » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:28 pm

It's better than cardboard...(which I've done)

I don't see anything wrong with it.

G

Adam-V
Count Modula

Post by Adam-V » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:58 pm

Looks good to me valis. The fact the panel is recycled makes it all the better.

Cheers,
Adam-V

valis
aliens killed bigfoot

Post by valis » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:56 pm

Thanks guys! My first modular project was cardboard as well. So yes, this is an improvement. 8_)

frozenkore
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by frozenkore » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:50 am

This is the LF1 Dual LFO. I just got the faceplate in the mail. I still have to make the bracket, mount the PCB, and put the panel graphics on. I'll post another when it's all done. Sorry for the crap pic -- I took it with my phone and that is the lighting in my dining room...

Cheers!
Brian

Jason Brock
just visiting

Post by Jason Brock » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:49 am

Valis - I think it looks great!

Frozenkore - Can't wait to see the finished thing, looking good so far. I'm especially interested in seeing how you mount the board.

My mounting board piece didn't work out exactly as I planned. The power connector cable sticks out too far, past the left edge of the module. It works fine once it is in the case as long as it sits next to a more shallow module. The Mattson board makes it 3.5" deep (89mm) so it's easy to find a more shallow module to sit next to it and allow room for the cable to stick out.

Anyway, I removed the FPD file of the mounting plate, just so people don't order it and get an unpleasant surprise when they put it together. The front panel is still on the Yahoo group though.

I now think the best way to get Mattson in Eurorack is to mount the boards parallel to the face plate using the .75" standoffs. I'm pretty sure you can get the boards to barely fit behind a 14hp panel. 16hp would allow for some wiggling room. But the best part about this is you could stack two boards on top of one another for a dual module. The two boards stacked still wouldn't be as deep as a single perpendicular-mounted board.

frozenkore
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by frozenkore » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:12 pm

Thanks, I'm excited to see the final outcome.
Jason Brock wrote:My mounting board piece didn't work out exactly as I planned. The power connector cable sticks out too far, past the left edge of the module. It works fine once it is in the case as long as it sits next to a more shallow module. The Mattson board makes it 3.5" deep (89mm) so it's easy to find a more shallow module to sit next to it and allow room for the cable to stick out.
I also have a 4hp faceplate for the EG1 (the LFO is 6hp), that module is awaiting the same treatment as this one (bracket, panel art, and mounting). I thought I was all set until I tried the cable and realized that it would stick out twice the width of the panel (like you're mentioning). So what I did was buy some of these.

Now there are a couple catches. This will reverse the pin order so what I did was push the pins out of the connector and reversed them (you could just re-crimp the other end and not have the red pin out). But this will let you have your power cable go parallel to the board.

The other thing to consider is that now you will be a bit deeper, but since the PCB is small enough, you could turn it 90 degress and have the connector point down so long as the PCB is higher on the panel (or the opposite). I think I'm going to have mine pointing down. I'll take pictures however it turns out.
Cheers!
Brian

Return to “Mattson Mini Modular”