Amp Follower Wiring and Banana Help

Dedicated forum for the MMM synth modules, both production and DIY units.

Moderators: Kent, mmm

valis
aliens killed bigfoot

Amp Follower Wiring and Banana Help

Post by valis » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:40 pm

Greetings all in the Miniverse,

So, not to be completely dense but I've been looking at my DIY Amp Follower board and wiring sheet and scratching my head a little. I ordered this board quite some time ago and am only now getting around to wiring the board up (actually, I still need to drill the panel, hence my question)..

So using this
http://www.mattsonminimodular.com/wiki/ ... _notes.jpg

and this

http://www.mattsonminimodular.com/wiki/ ... wiring.jpg

I think I got a grasp on most everything. We'll see though..

Anyway, here's my question. I'm using bananas and notice that the audio in (CF4A) is switched. So I'm going to need a toggle switch but I'm not quite clear on (1) what this switched jack is doing and (2) where to connect the toggle to.

I am aware of issues with using bananas and grounding concerns btw..

Any direction would be helpful. I'm wanting to finally drill the panel today..

I may have more dumb questions as I actually start to wire the panel...

Thanks all. I'm really looking forward to this module!

Adam-V
Count Modula

Post by Adam-V » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:46 pm

I think the only reason the audio input is switched would be to ensure the input is grounded when no jack is present. You can probably do without the switch for your banana set up.

Cheers,
Adam-V

valis
aliens killed bigfoot

Post by valis » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:51 am

Interesting. I'm actually planning on having, for the sake of convenience, a 1/4" jack and a banana input on this panel. So would I need a switch to ensure that the banana input does not get bypassed due to the input of the 1/4" being switched to ground. Does that make sense? Thanks for the brain power..

mmm
yummm!

Post by mmm » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:25 pm

valis wrote:Interesting. I'm actually planning on having, for the sake of convenience, a 1/4" jack and a banana input on this panel. So would I need a switch to ensure that the banana input does not get bypassed due to the input of the 1/4" being switched to ground. Does that make sense? Thanks for the brain power..
Yay! MW is back. At least for me. I was responding to this and suddenly got SQL errors saying it couldn't access the database.

Valis: Adam-V is correct.
Just don't connect the white wire on the audio input. I don't like to float my inputs so, I make sure they're at ground when not connected. Old habit. No need for a switch.

If, you have a 1/4" switched jack hooked up as directed and have a banana jack in parallel to it, the banana input will never work if there is nothing plugged into the 1/4"
G

Adam-V
Count Modula

Post by Adam-V » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:45 pm

Valis, what I would do is leave the grounding wire off the switched contact of the 1/4" jack and instead connect the banana jack to the switching contact. This will cause the banana jack to be disconnected when there is a plug in the 1/4" socket and connected when the 1/4" jack is empty. It will also stop you from accidentally connecting two outputs together which can be an issue.

Cheers,
Adam-V

mmm
yummm!

Post by mmm » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:13 pm

Adam-V wrote:Valis, what I would do is leave the grounding wire off the switched contact of the 1/4" jack and instead connect the banana jack to the switching contact. This will cause the banana jack to be disconnected when there is a plug in the 1/4" socket and connected when the 1/4" jack is empty. It will also stop you from accidentally connecting two outputs together which can be an issue.

Cheers,
Adam-V
Great call, Adam-V :yay:
Somebody's thinking.

I just finished restoring (2) EML 300's, (2) EML 416 sequencer panels and an EML 200. I was trying to figure out a good way to clean out the 1/4" jacks and found out that the barrel brush for a .380 auto is perfect :nana:

Probably not the best solution but, it was here and the gear is mine 8_)

Now, I'll get started on the 400/401.

valis
aliens killed bigfoot

Post by valis » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:52 pm

Excellent advice. I think I'll drill the panel tomorrow. Thanks so much for the replies..

Adam-V
Count Modula

Post by Adam-V » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:24 am

Don't forget to post a picture in the "Show us your MMModules" thread when it's complete!

Cheers,
Adam-V

Return to “Mattson Mini Modular”