Mattson Mini Modular

Dedicated forum for the MMM synth modules, both production and DIY units.

Moderators: Kent, mmm

knittingram
Common Wiggler

Post by knittingram » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:50 pm

definitely covers it.. I wanted you to say it here so that people who don't go to your site will see it :party:

knittingram
Common Wiggler

Post by knittingram » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:49 pm

whose got any sdiy ideas that would fit behind a mattson panel? Does anyone know how tall the paia 2700 modules are or if the would fit a mmm vertically?

Can't find the specs anywhere..
The computer can't tell you the emotional story.
It can give you the exact mathematical design,
but what's missing is the eyebrows.

-FZ

DGTom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DGTom » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:08 pm

The MMM is a really attractive form factor, would love to see a bunch more development in the format - not that it isn't already looking / sounding great :D

kudos for opening it up & for selling the bare panels :tu:

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:14 pm

Are the singing skulls (see red martian's video from the PNE meet) an available option? They almost killed me when I saw them....

mmm
yummm!

Post by mmm » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:43 pm

sduck wrote:Are the singing skulls (see red martian's video from the PNE meet) an available option? They almost killed me when I saw them....
LOL. Scott Rise of Division 6 made those. He made a tiny little board called a Midfy that can be used to control just about anything with MIDI.
http://www.division-6.com

He MIDI'd his microwave to cook a corn dog.

Funny vid.

But, he's really into technical theater, lighting and sound. Halloween is his favorite holiday.

Last year, he MIDI'd a bunch of pumpkins and skulls and made a huge display at his house:

It was really cool :party:

He also sells the MIDI'd version of those skulls on his site.

Peake
I'm in ur DIY. Filling cases with Buchla

Post by Peake » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:22 pm

People want to pay nothing for something and THEN complain about it when it arrives and is rather good to boot...Give people what they need, not what they want. :doh:

Nice oscillators, nice filter, more to come, great price? Sounds good to me.
This is not the place I'd imagined it to be.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:18 am

Hell yes... and I'm definitely in for the corndog module. I mean...
it's about time.

Mr. Mattson has been at this for quite a while. It is nice to see so many
of the golden age designers reappear with new designs/formats, etc.

BTW - knittingRam - great moniker and avatar. Makes me laugh and
then feel real sinister.

knittingram
Common Wiggler

Post by knittingram » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:35 am

Hey Mindmachine.. kudos accepted. Knittingram is a long story but its also my record label, too. I just love the imagery of a hooved animal trying to wield knitting needles and yarn. Makes me laugh when all else fails and I wanted to share that with the world if nothing else.

BUt yeah, I think the MMM is genius and its just in its infancy. I don't get why ppl think I am a hater. I only want the prices to be cheaper so I can have one. :mrgreen:

If I had the money I would totally be willing to drop 2 g's for a half rack, but right now I need more functionality than that. I just hope George can sustain this business and make enough money for it to be worth his while because I DEFINITELY want a MMM down the road without paying inflated prices. And most importantly, I want to see all the cool modules come out of his head and into reality. I wonder if he's interested in investors.

Anyways, George keep up the good work and think about making a logic module with a time splitter. :nana:

A Dingleberry Monstrosity
eat the kids first

Post by A Dingleberry Monstrosity » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:41 am

George, I wish you awesome luck in your synth endeavors. I remember seeing that gigantic unnecessary flame fest on matrixsynth towards you a couple years back and it really made me sad. It along with some other reasons is why I never go to that "blog" anymore.

I wish I had the balls to start my own synth company and make modules :(
Got an EE degree, the capital, some ideas... but not balls.

I'm highly jealous of everyone involved in this business.
We make guitar pedals: whimsymachines.com :party:

mmm
yummm!

Post by mmm » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:36 am

Thanks guys. The kind words are really appreciated.

I don't need investors. At least I'm trying to do this and let it support itself. So, everything that comes in gets reinvested back into the project.

Stephen Jones of Synthwood saw my cases and asked if I could do "some" of his work for him. So, about half my time is spent with a soldering iron in my hand and the other half is utilized generating sawdust. It keeps me busy, I'm loving what I'm doing and as long as I have creditors at bay, my stress levels are minimum.
I remember seeing that gigantic unnecessary flame fest on matrixsynth towards you a couple years back and it really made me sad.
That surprised me. I tried to answer everybody but, it got to the point that I just didn't understand why some people were so negative. I realized that some people just wanted to be negative and could do it as long as they were anonymous. I started ignoring those and that's the reason that Matrix disabled anonymous postings. :despair:
I wish I had the balls to start my own synth company and make modules :(
Got an EE degree, the capital, some ideas... but not balls.
I almost walked away from it. I had four initial orders. Certainly not enough to make them. I sent out a letter to the existing customers and asked them if they wanted a refund or, hang in there with me because I definitely needed to get something else revenue-generating to exist while I worked on the system.

All four replied unanamously and said "We're getting one-PERIOD! End of discussion." It was real humbling. :hail:
My sister in law looked at me while I was debating it and said" If you don't try, you'll never know and you'll wonder about it forever"

So, I held my breath, plugged my nose and jumped in with both feet.
It took me a year but, I did it.

Stephen offered me the Synthwood gig at that time.

It doesn't take balls. It takes the encouragement of good people who believe in you and and accepting the fact that you very possibly could fail. Besides, it's the journey, not the destination that's the fun part.
I only want the prices to be cheaper so I can have one.
Boy, don't we all. I'm with you 100%. I just can't bring them down. I pretty much break even (phew). I do invoke a 10% disount on any order over 24 modules. So, I pass on the discounts for the quantity parts purchases.

Jeeze, I write like I give presentations. A couple points to convey and I go on forever. :eek:
Last edited by mmm on Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

computer controlled
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by computer controlled » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:03 pm

mmm wrote:
Jeeze, I write like I give presentations. A couple points to convey and I go on forever. :eek:
Yeah, but we're all used to it by now

:mrgreen:
Stuff: SH-01A . TR-8S . MX-1 . D-20 . Waldorf MicroQ . Ensoniq EPS 16+ . Yamaha MODX6 . Yamaha DX7 . MPC Live . Avalon BassLine . Behringer Neutron . Behringer MS-101 . Behringer Pro-1 . Behringer K-2 . Behringer TD-3 . E-Mu Emax . E-Mu Emax II . BeatStep Pro . Keystep .

Peake
I'm in ur DIY. Filling cases with Buchla

Post by Peake » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:18 pm

Backstory is always interesting. I'd had no idea that you almost walked away from the project. I thank you and your sister-in-law for the good thoughts and the guts to contribute something positive to the community!
This is not the place I'd imagined it to be.

mmm
yummm!

Post by mmm » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:51 pm

The MMM is a really attractive form factor, would love to see a bunch more development in the format - not that it isn't already looking / sounding great

I like it because it's small, portable and to be honest, my back spare bedroom isn't large enough to make large format stuff. :confused:

But, the circuits are good. A lot of people keep mentioning that it would be great if I put it out in "X" format but, I have to stick with what I started.

But, for you DIY guys, I see no reason why I can't sell you the assembled boards and whatever panel components you may need and let you make your own panels, layouts, etc. I don't have the time to actually do "kits" but, email is a wonderful thing. All my boards are 2-5/8" X 3-1/8" with mounting holes in the corners so, you could find an "L" bracket somewhere and edge mount it if you wish. About 90% of my boards use the 6-P MTA 0.100 connectors for power but, they also have the 4P 0.156 MTA pads ready for the Blacet-style power connector. So far, they all seem to work great at +/- 12V so, I don't see any issues. It just depends on if anybody is interested. Every situation would be different based on what the end result will ultimately be so, it's probably best just to email me and we can figure it out together.

Just some thoughts. Sorta out of my marketing strategy but, I'm open if people are up for it.
Last edited by mmm on Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

mmm
yummm!

Post by mmm » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:25 pm

I took a group shot of all of the modules (except the MIDI) I'm going to use this as title page pic to lead to the module descriptions and panel/wiring info for the DIY customers

Image.

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:05 pm

Out of curiosity (still putting together various combinations of things to get with my 1/31 bonus) - how long is the current wait on an order? Given my rapidly shrinking space (technically, the space itself isn't shrinking, which would probably be painful, but I just seem to have less and less of it) - the form factor of this is very appealing.

money bags
eat the rich

Post by money bags » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:51 pm

i really like the idea of the populated boards that are coming out. i would like to hear what the delay sounds like and what the raw vcos sounds like with nothing going through it. it is sad that no sine wave is present that kind of boggles my mind. how the VCO plays with a simple lfo would be nice. i feel like the samples half the time are so fluffed that im not really hearing what the demoed unit sounds like(im speaking for all demos).

anyways ill just do this so it may get someone to post sounds

sound samples of the VCOS and DELAY please

mmm
yummm!

Post by mmm » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:04 pm

There's no wait if you're ordering assembled/ tested circuit boards. I have plenty in stock.

Worst case, a couple of days at the moment. If I get bogged down, I'll let the customer know. At the moment, I'm still working on the clerical info for the site to implement this option.

If I run out of some supplies and have to order more stuff, I'll let the customer know. I can usually receive my orders from suppliers in four days.

If you're ordering cases or complete modules. Assume I can build a couple modules a day and it takes a week to build a case. I like to let the newly built modules run solid for about 3 or 4 days to minimize the chance of any component failures. That saves on a few headaches :)

I won't be initially offering the VCO or MIDI-CV module as board-only options. All of the others are the same size and utilize the same wiring conventions. Plus, the VCO takes a couple 6-packs of beer to calibrate so, I need to figure out how to describe instructions on how to tune and calibrate them before I release it. Plus, the multi-turn trim pot for the V/O adjust is epoxied to the panel... etc, etc. I'll figure it out.

G

mmm
yummm!

Post by mmm » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:12 pm

krusephilip wrote:
sound samples of the VCOS and DELAY please
The closest item I have to a delay is the Gate Delay. It just gives 4 delayed gate signals.

Stephen did a pretty clean VCO test on youtube using the Sample and Hold and each others waveforms for modulation and control.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I-Y1WLsIw8

syncretism
Morbidly self-aware and liking it

Post by syncretism » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:51 pm

Alright, god damn it, I'm doing this, by god.

mmm
yummm!

Post by mmm » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:05 am

And so it seems that you have.

Thanks a ton, Niall. :guinness:

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:11 am

What'd he do? What'd you do syncretism???? :hyper:

governor blacksnake
ant in the afterbirth

Post by governor blacksnake » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:13 am

he done it the way he done it (part II)

Morley
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Morley » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:23 am

I always fancied an MMM but being in europe have the import as extra costs and it adds up. The concept is a good one and from what I have seen, it looks very well built.
It's also not vaporware unlike quite a few modulars out there!

mmm
yummm!

Post by mmm » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:15 am

MindMachine wrote:What'd he do? What'd you do syncretism???? :hyper:
He placed an order :mrgreen:

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:40 am

syncretism wrote:Alright, god damn it, I'm doing this, by god.
I too am thinking that this is the obvious alternative to buying the Vostok, as an attempt to get a different, all in one semi-modular to add to my modular. By golly, these things are small, and it satisfies my main goal - which is to have some stuff that is much smaller, and in another format, that I can use separately to the big modular if I want (or integrate as my mood strikes me).

Return to “Mattson Mini Modular”