Mattson Mini Modular

Dedicated forum for the MMM synth modules, both production and DIY units.

Moderators: Kent, mmm

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:42 am

So, let me see if I understand....come Jan 31, if I order some kind of completed case + module scenario from you, it should take 2-3 weeks, and it will cost me the cost of the units + 2 six packs of beer?
mmm wrote:There's no wait if you're ordering assembled/ tested circuit boards. I have plenty in stock.

Worst case, a couple of days at the moment. If I get bogged down, I'll let the customer know. At the moment, I'm still working on the clerical info for the site to implement this option.

If I run out of some supplies and have to order more stuff, I'll let the customer know. I can usually receive my orders from suppliers in four days.

If you're ordering cases or complete modules. Assume I can build a couple modules a day and it takes a week to build a case. I like to let the newly built modules run solid for about 3 or 4 days to minimize the chance of any component failures. That saves on a few headaches :)

I won't be initially offering the VCO or MIDI-CV module as board-only options. All of the others are the same size and utilize the same wiring conventions. Plus, the VCO takes a couple 6-packs of beer to calibrate so, I need to figure out how to describe instructions on how to tune and calibrate them before I release it. Plus, the multi-turn trim pot for the V/O adjust is epoxied to the panel... etc, etc. I'll figure it out.

G

syncretism
Morbidly self-aware and liking it

Post by syncretism » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:52 am

mmm wrote:
MindMachine wrote:What'd he do? What'd you do syncretism???? :hyper:
He placed an order :mrgreen:
Heavy on the mixers, mults and control modules, which my semi-modular gear all lacks to some extent (save for the 100m, which just makes me so happy to use). I did order the JP filter, though.

I confess that I'm going MMM for some of the "hard" reasons - space and clever design, but a lot of it has to do with me liking George a lot. He's approachable, generous with his knowledge and inspires confidence in both his products and his user-support. I can say that about all of the designers I've interacted with - George, Harvestman, Malekko, Suit&Tie, Chris MacDonald, David Bubblesound. God damn, but it's a great time to be sucked into modular synthesis.

mmm
yummm!

Post by mmm » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:54 am

droolmaster0 wrote:So, let me see if I understand....come Jan 31, if I order some kind of completed case + module scenario from you, it should take 2-3 weeks, and it will cost me the cost of the units + 2 six packs of beer?
LMAO

Nah!!!. Carbon111 keeps me pretty well stocked. Let's just say that Ichabods' 32 VCO's were a real joy to calibrate :guinness:

But, yes. You are correct on the time line.

Fnord
Discordian Wiggler

Post by Fnord » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:45 pm

Are there any plans for a rackmount enclosure?
bsmith: it would be awesome to see people with lots of euro give them pokemon values and do battle

Muffwiggler: I've seen communities ruined over politics. I've seen friendships end over racism. I've never seen these things happen as a result of breasts.

mmm
yummm!

Post by mmm » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:48 pm

Fnord wrote:Are there any plans for a rackmount enclosure?
Not from me. I like making cases out of wood.

I have one customer having me make a 7X pedal board that folds into his dual-panel case. He plans on using the pedals with the VC mixers to control VC's and audio paths. He'll control the modular with the MIDI out of his GR-20 connected to his bass. so, he'll have 4 different audio choices while playing.

Straight bass output
Processed bass output from the Amplitude (envelope) follower and
related patch
The modular voices controlled by the MIDI
The output of the selected GR-20 patch.

I can't wait to hear what he does with this setup :hyper:

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:36 pm

Well, then, you'll have to send ME 2 six packs of Carbon111's beer...
mmm wrote:
droolmaster0 wrote:So, let me see if I understand....come Jan 31, if I order some kind of completed case + module scenario from you, it should take 2-3 weeks, and it will cost me the cost of the units + 2 six packs of beer?
LMAO

Nah!!!. Carbon111 keeps me pretty well stocked. Let's just say that Ichabods' 32 VCO's were a real joy to calibrate :guinness:

But, yes. You are correct on the time line.

mmm
yummm!

Post by mmm » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:25 pm

droolmaster0 wrote:Well, then, you'll have to send ME 2 six packs of Carbon111's beer...
No, no, no.

Part of the revenue goes to Carbon111 in order to procure the libation so that I CAN calibrate the VCO's :whistle:

BTW You can always tell how good his recipe was by the accuracy of the tuning.
Too sharp=too carbonated
too flat= not enough carbonation
droops in center of KB= not enough hops
Sharp in center of KB= too much hops
perfect= Ahhhhhhh :guinness:

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:26 pm

Searching for any kind of an eta on the sequencer...if I place an order at the end of january (which as of today at this nanosecond is my intention) I would love to get a sequencer module with it.

mmm
yummm!

Post by mmm » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:46 pm

droolmaster0 wrote:Searching for any kind of an eta on the sequencer...if I place an order at the end of january (which as of today at this nanosecond is my intention) I would love to get a sequencer module with it.
Not that soon. :(
It's on the breadboard and I'm working on it. I have 10 orders for it already so, I have to finish it. But, I sure don't want to slop it together and have something that isn't 100%

G

syncretism

Post by syncretism » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:31 pm

Will it be possible to start/stop the sequencer with a gate signal? I imagine that a PW-modulated wave, with the sequencer running while the incoming wave is at its peak, and stopping at its trough, could be a lot of fun - especially when you start mixing control voltages, or using the utility module to process them further.

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:44 pm

But it sounds like you're taking orders for it, though?
mmm wrote:
droolmaster0 wrote:Searching for any kind of an eta on the sequencer...if I place an order at the end of january (which as of today at this nanosecond is my intention) I would love to get a sequencer module with it.
Not that soon. :(
It's on the breadboard and I'm working on it. I have 10 orders for it already so, I have to finish it. But, I sure don't want to slop it together and have something that isn't 100%

G

mmm
yummm!

Post by mmm » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:38 pm

syncretism wrote:Will it be possible to start/stop the sequencer with a gate signal? I imagine that a PW-modulated wave, with the sequencer running while the incoming wave is at its peak, and stopping at its trough, could be a lot of fun - especially when you start mixing control voltages, or using the utility module to process them further.
Not per se'.

But, the core of the clock is my VC LFO (which hasn't been released yet). The higher the CV, the faster it goes and vice-versa.

Set a speed with a gate signal attenuated through a mixer. When the gate is present, it sequences at the set rate. When the gate signal drops, the clock is so slow that it technically comes to a halt. Long pauses might be a surprise when the sequencer suddenly jumps to the next step out of the blue :)

That's one method off the top of my head. I'll actually have a better understanding of the actual performance once I actually have the breadboard of the full blown version completed.

mmm
yummm!

Post by mmm » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:56 pm

droolmaster0 wrote:But it sounds like you're taking orders for it, though?
LOL, sort of. Not intentionally.

Some guys just sent me the money and put themselves in the lineup. others have made verbal committments. Usually, the verbal guys have a tendency to suddenly be scarce when the moment of truth comes around. :hmm:

But, The price was my best guess based on what I knew. It will be close but to be perfectly honest, I can't determine that until I've actually completed it and have a chance to figure out how to use a pencil.

As soon as I get this assembled module stuff written up and on to my site, I'll be able to focus on it.

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:09 pm

Well, I'm not into making verbal commitments that I don't keep. Of course, if I were, I'd just say that anyway...
mmm wrote:
droolmaster0 wrote:But it sounds like you're taking orders for it, though?
LOL, sort of. Not intentionally.

Some guys just sent me the money and put themselves in the lineup. others have made verbal committments. Usually, the verbal guys have a tendency to suddenly be scarce when the moment of truth comes around. :hmm:

But, The price was my best guess based on what I knew. It will be close but to be perfectly honest, I can't determine that until I've actually completed it and have a chance to figure out how to use a pencil.

As soon as I get this assembled module stuff written up and on to my site, I'll be able to focus on it.

redmartian
Learning to Wiggle

Post by redmartian » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:50 am

mmm wrote:But, the core of the clock is my VC LFO (which hasn't been released yet).
HUH? What the fuck is that!? Majick! .. and you know who the people are
who take care of you when others let you down.

(P.S. kan u open src ur schematics dood? every1 else does. I gotz this kewl dood in china kan make sum kewl sircuits from ur design ... lol)

Luka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Luka » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:56 am

p.s :roll:

carbon111
Common Wiggler

Post by carbon111 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:13 am

Did someone mention beer? :despair:
Best Regards, James
--
My current release "Persephone": http://carbon111.bandcamp.com/
Blog: http://carbon111.blogspot.com

syncretism

Post by syncretism » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:53 pm

krusephilip wrote:i really like the idea of the populated boards that are coming out. i would like to hear what the delay sounds like and what the raw vcos sounds like with nothing going through it.
With it going through nothing, right?
it is sad that no sine wave is present that kind of boggles my mind.
Designers and consumers have limited resources, and I reckon the benefits of offering a sine oscillator rarely outweighed the effort in producing one; almost every analogue sine oscillator I've heard still has some overtones that need to be filtered. So, historically, other ways to get a sine have been employed - get a filter's resonance to generate one, or use a filter to reshape the oscillator's output:

[video][/video]

carbon111
Common Wiggler

Post by carbon111 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:27 pm

syncretism wrote:Designers and consumers have limited resources, and I reckon the benefits of offering a sine oscillator rarely outweighed the effort in producing one; almost every analogue sine oscillator I've heard still has some overtones that need to be filtered. So, historically, other ways to get a sine have been employed - get a filter's resonance to generate one, or use a filter to reshape the oscillator's output:

[video][/video]
Exactly. It amazes me that someone would waste the circuitry for a Sine OSC when you could have something more flexible in it's place...especially since its so dead-easy to get a perfect sine from a LPF by itself or a filtered saw/triangle/square.
:cloud:

...and a belated congratulations on joining the MMM cabal, Niall! :banana:
Best Regards, James
--
My current release "Persephone": http://carbon111.bandcamp.com/
Blog: http://carbon111.blogspot.com

mmm
yummm!

Post by mmm » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:55 pm

The WIKI has had all of the appropriate information about the DIY Module Boards added and everything is available on the cart except the "convenience accessories".

Working on it. :eek:

http://mmm.sevcom.com/wiki/index.php/DI ... DIYcisions

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:31 am

syncretism wrote:
mmm wrote:
MindMachine wrote:What'd he do? What'd you do syncretism???? :hyper:
He placed an order :mrgreen:
Heavy on the mixers, mults and control modules, which my semi-modular gear all lacks to some extent (save for the 100m, which just makes me so happy to use). I did order the JP filter, though.
Good job syncretism... nice to see the good guys supported! Look forward to seeing exact module summary to oogle over...!

syncretism

Post by syncretism » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:12 pm

I decided against the filter and left a little room over for some forthcoming controller modules. I'm keen to put them through their paces!

I don't have the order handy, but I think I requested:

1x VCA
1x Sample and Hold
1x Amplitude Follower
2x Buffered Mults
1x 4xMixer
1x VC Mixer
1x 4xGate Delay
1x Utility 1
1x Envelope Generator, maybe?

George, does that sound right?

mmm
yummm!

Post by mmm » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:37 pm

syncretism wrote:I decided against the filter and left a little room over for some forthcoming controller modules. I'm keen to put them through their paces!

I don't have the order handy, but I think I requested:

1x VCA
1x Sample and Hold
1x Amplitude Follower
2x Buffered Mults
1x 4xMixer
1x VC Mixer
1x 4xGate Delay
1x Utility 1
1x Envelope Generator, maybe?

George, does that sound right?
Yup. except you haven't oficially added the EG. Which is probably why it has the "maybe?" suffix :hihi:

But, you forgot the exquisitly beautiful case and the 2 kegs of Guiness :guinness:

syncretism

Post by syncretism » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:43 pm

I found the order, and doh, there's no EG. I thought I'd ordered 10 modules, o, well!

mmm
yummm!

Post by mmm » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:06 pm

Niall's case is going to be real nice. I'll post a pic here for you guys when it's done.

Return to “Mattson Mini Modular”