how do you manage your musical timeline using modular

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Re: how do you manage your musical timeline using modular

Post by ersatzplanet » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:43 pm

I hardly record anything. All live improvisational. If you do that long enough, all you have to do is hit record when you start and spend time editing the results.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

cliffemu
Veteran Wiggler

Post by cliffemu » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:22 pm

Is there anything out there with a numeric display that counts measures from a clock signal?

Mr. Aloud
Common Wiggler

Post by Mr. Aloud » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:24 pm

Metron?

"The COUNTER display shows you how many bars or complete sequences have elapsed. Very useful in live performance, it can help you adhere to phrasing and keep you moving through your live set.

Counter display will reset to 1 when a new variation is recalled.

Counter display will reset to 1 after 64 bars and then will continue to count with a decimal showing. We found that a 99 bar reset was very confusing and that 64 bars made the most sense for musical sequencing."

Of course this is overkill if all you need is a display. But maybe you were thinking about one more sequencer anyway 8-)
I´m happy when it rains - for if I´m not happy, it rains as well.

cliffemu
Veteran Wiggler

Post by cliffemu » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:59 am

Mr. Aloud wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:24 pm
Metron?
Of course this is overkill if all you need is a display. But maybe you were thinking about one more sequencer anyway 8-)
Just a little display like this would be nice!!!!

batch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batch » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:29 am

Paratek make a bunch of counter type modules. Just search ModularGrid for counter and they come up. Here is an example.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/paratek-ТАКТОМЕr-2c-black
FS: Erica Synths Hi-Hats D $175, Cymbals $175, Stereo Mixer v2 $100, Intellijel 1U Pedal IO $70, MIDI $110, Rebel Tech Bit Reactor $95

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:42 am

cliffemu wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:22 pm
Is there anything out there with a numeric display that counts measures from a clock signal?
I’ve been considering this module for exactly that purpose:

https://reverb.com/item/26493560-paratek-r-3c-aluminium

You’d need to divide incoming gates by your meter to get a measure count, but it seems like it would work. Plus Nixie tubes are just so cool.
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

cliffemu
Veteran Wiggler

Post by cliffemu » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:13 am

yeah those modules are cool but would use up space I don't have in my Palette, and they don't take a time signature to count measures :cry:

batch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batch » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:03 pm

Bitbox also counts measures if I remember correctly. Big module, but lots of functionality.
FS: Erica Synths Hi-Hats D $175, Cymbals $175, Stereo Mixer v2 $100, Intellijel 1U Pedal IO $70, MIDI $110, Rebel Tech Bit Reactor $95

twistedneck
Common Wiggler

Post by twistedneck » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:30 am

lisa wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:16 pm
I record separate tracks of a jam and make changes to the arrangement in post. I also add effects and set the levels in post, pretty much.
I've been wrestling with this, why do you go back to the laptop for post and not simply record to a cassette tape (in the spirit of live modular). I only ask because I've been using Raum reverb and Plate 140 both were free at Christmas time.. and they are so much better than any reverb in my Eurorack.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:58 am

twistedneck wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:30 am
lisa wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:16 pm
I record separate tracks of a jam and make changes to the arrangement in post. I also add effects and set the levels in post, pretty much.
I've been wrestling with this, why do you go back to the laptop for post and not simply record to a cassette tape (in the spirit of live modular).
I guess I’m not in the spirit. :)

My jams are often 7-10 minutes long and not very focused. So I cut them down to the good bits and even make additions (often another melody or so) to craft a 4 minute track that I can enjoy listening to.

Mixing takes me a lot of time and I’m quite bad at it so I wouldn’t want to do that outside of a DAW where I can save a bunch of versions to go back and forth between.
New modular track! My first in six months. :party: Messy and unglued.

IEC
Common Wiggler

Post by IEC » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:10 am

twistedneck wrote:
why go back to the laptop for post and not simply record to a cassette tape (in the spirit of live modular).
so you can have the best of both worlds?

c0rpse
Wiggling with Experience

Post by c0rpse » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:22 am

twistedneck wrote:
why go back to the laptop for post and not simply record to a cassette tape (in the spirit of live modular).
For me, what is acceptable live is not the same as recorded "tracks." I've noticed playing live that you can play loose and long, if the vibe is there and everyone is really feeling it. The audience really doesn't notice a little sloppiness of arrangement, and sometimes want sections to be very long.

On the other hand, I think a recorded track should be tight in the arrangement. Everything should happen exactly where the listener expects, or intentionally not. I definitely have a certain mood where I will skip through parts of tracks, so I also think a recorded track should have more proper variation of harmony and timbre.

I've worked my way through an hour long liveset doing tons of risers dropping into minute variations of the original theme with great audience response. This absolutely does not translate to a recorded "track". At least not one that I hold in high regard.
VINO MALO | Designer and Software Developer for WMD

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”