Silent Computer Fan for Eurorack Case

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

The Mule
Veteran Wiggler

Silent Computer Fan for Eurorack Case

Post by The Mule » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:25 pm

Looking to provide a little cooling relief to my wooden Eurorack case. I'll be cutting some holes in it, and thought putting a fan in there would be helpful. Does anyone know of any good, silent computer fans that preferably could plug directly into the busboard with a 16 pin connector? Links would be appreciated. :party:

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Silent Computer Fan for Eurorack Case

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:06 am

If it doesn't need one, don't put it in there "just cuz". Honestly, if you cut cool-air-intake slots (holes, slots, everwhat) near the bottom of the case, and hot air exhaust slots (holes, everwhat) near the top of the case, it creates a convection cooling system. As the internals warm up that warm air rises and expands .. it wants out of the confines of the case. So being warm air, it rises ... and being warm air, it expands. This forces it out of the upper cooling vents. As the warm air is exhausted out of the upper vents, this creates a bit of a vacuum inside the case which draws cool air in through the bottom vents. No fan needed.

You can test this yourself. Remove one of the smaller modules that is located in the upper-most row of the case. Do the same for the lower-most row of the case. Power the system up, allow it to warm up for a good thirty minutes, preferably while running a sequence or something (in other words try to give the modules some work to do). If your case has a potential heat problem you'll observe a good deal of warm air exhausting from the hole in the upper row created when you removed one the upper row modules. If the air is just ~warm~ .. don't bother with doing anything at all to your case. If it's warm enough to concern you, think about creating some manner of convection cooling to create some air flow through the case.

Adding fans only works if there has been an intake and exhaust created in the case. Doing so means also coming up with filters of some sort to keep dust/cat hair/everwhat from being sucked into the case by the fans. So if the system doesn't ~need~ a fan system, don't bother with one. I'd reckon it would create more problems than it solves.

Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

The Mule
Veteran Wiggler

Post by The Mule » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:17 am

Sounds good to me - less work is always better! I'll cut the holes and see how it goes. Thanks for the reply! :)

racooniac
Wiggling with Experience

Post by racooniac » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:41 am

and just in case one should need a VERY silent fan i can not recommend noctua enough, take one big enough and maybe undervolt it a little and you wont hear a thing ;)

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”