What Amp / Monitors do you use in your home for Synth?

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

davebr
Veteran Wiggler

Re: What Amp / Monitors do you use in your home for Synth?

Post by davebr » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:45 pm

Old school here. Custom output module to a Carver PM-600 to JBL L100S speakers. I have two other synth setups in the room, both with Carver PM-600s. One driving JBL 4311 Control Monitors and the other driving JBL L80S. I like Carvers and JBL.

hsosdrum
Ultra Wiggler

Post by hsosdrum » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:11 am

A pair of 1980-vintage Klipsch Cornwall speakers (3-way: 15" woofer/mid horn/HF horn) driven by an Electron Kinetics Eagle 2A amplifier. (Portable it ain't.) FYI: Wendy Carlos uses four Cornwalls as her studio monitors.

schelmaster
Learning to Wiggle

Post by schelmaster » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:01 am

Colonel Monk wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:57 am

I have a vision of making a rolling workstation for my synth / studio equipment to make it portable from my office to the rest of the house. I plan for most of it to be of eurorack in form factor (as discussed in another thread) and so the sound reproduction would be attached to this workstation. Therefore, if it works I'd like it to not be too bulky.

CM
I had the same vision as you.
So far this is what i ended with :

Every equipment is on a rack jaspers (not rolling yet).

Eurorack, drum machines, synths -> Patchbay -> ZOOM Livetrak L12 -> Palmer MONICON -> Genelec 8010.

The palmer monicon is crucial because of the volume of the genelec (very loud and no control on monitor) otherwise is to loud going out from LIvetrak and nobody wants to keep every fader to minimum.
Really good monitors, perfect IMO for a "nomad" rig. You can easily fix them to the rig.

I use the patchbay, were everything is wired (Misc Synth + Effect pedals), so i can use the front panel to deviate signals to pedals or synth outs to IN of Digitakt for example.

All these equipements are powered by 19" rack power strips.

CaneMan
Wiggling with Experience

Post by CaneMan » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:38 pm

Threads like this always make me look at my mismatched pair of PA speakers and question my sanity. I use an Alto Professional TS110A for the left and a Behringer MPA40BT-Pro for the right. It was what I had resources for at the time. Now... With many passions, I never quite get around to upgrading them.

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”