Rectification?

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

FrankMurder
Wiggling with Experience

Rectification?

Post by FrankMurder » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:55 pm

So I have a rectifier in my system that I never use. It is part of the euro module wave boss. I am wondering what people use rectification for in general? I know there must be some genious usability hidden there.

J3RK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by J3RK » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:15 pm

You can rectify Vuldronaii for one thing.
During the rectification of the Vuldronaii, The Traveler came as a large and moving Torb. Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the Meketrex Supplicants, they chose the form for him, that of a giant Sloar!! Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day, I can tell you!

-Vinz Clortho, Keymaster of Gozer
On a more serious note, say you need a positive-only CV. This will remove the negative-going portions with half-wave rectification, or invert the negative so all phases are positive with full-wave. If you have two half-waves, and an inverter, you can "splice" half of one waveform with the other half of another.

I'm sure others can come up with more. I use rectifier circuits in quite a few larger circuits. Less so on their own.
Last edited by J3RK on Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Are you lemon? Does your head come to a nub?

thermionicjunky
Thyratron Genius

Post by thermionicjunky » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:31 pm

You can patch an envelope follower with a full-wave rectifier and a slew limiter. You can turn a (bipolar) saw into a triangle, or double the frequency of a (bipolar) triangle or sine.

FrankMurder
Wiggling with Experience

Post by FrankMurder » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:37 pm

thermionicjunky wrote:You can patch an envelope follower with a full-wave rectifier and a slew limiter. You can turn a (bipolar) saw into a triangle, or double the frequency of a (bipolar) triangle or sine.
Interesting.

How exacly do you double the frequency of a triangle or sine?

thermionicjunky
Thyratron Genius

Post by thermionicjunky » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:52 pm

FrankMurder wrote:
thermionicjunky wrote:You can patch an envelope follower with a full-wave rectifier and a slew limiter. You can turn a (bipolar) saw into a triangle, or double the frequency of a (bipolar) triangle or sine.
Interesting.

How exacly do you double the frequency of a triangle or sine?
Draw it on paper and you'll understand. Draw a triangle wave oscillating between -N and +N. Then invert the bottom half of the drawing (- to +). What was half a wave cycle becomes a full cycle, with a positive DC offset and halved voltage swing.

FrankMurder
Wiggling with Experience

Post by FrankMurder » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:50 am

Ok yeah, that makes sense. Thanks.

Anyone else?

theTwiddler
Common Wiggler

Re: Rectification?

Post by theTwiddler » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:00 pm

in theory u could make a saw to a triangle

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Rectification?

Post by Dave Peck » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:52 pm

Put a rectifier in a filter feedback loop (filter > rect > mixer, combining it with the regular filter input signals) to create lots of new types of distorted filters. Try inverting the feedback loop. Try using both half-wave and full-wave rectification. Try different amounts of feedback. If it's a multi-mode filter, use the LP for the output you're listening to try using the BP/HP/Noth outputs for the rectifier > feedback loop path. All of these create new and different filter behaviors.

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”