0-coast vs Pico System III vs Modulor114 vs Phenol vs Ants advice needed

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Babaluma
Learning to Wiggle

Re: 0-coast vs Pico System III vs Modulor114 vs Phenol vs Ants advice needed

Post by Babaluma » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:36 pm

A quick update, I decided to go with the 0-Coast as it makes a nice contrast to my MS20 and had a nice small footprint. One popped up on Ebay, really good deal plus had original box and cables etc (which I am quite anal about) so snapped it up as it felt like fate! Loving it so far, it is basic enough that I can practice some basic modular concepts plus the West Coast approach is a new experience. Have been cross modulating with the MS20 module (which also has three mults which really expands the options) to make a terrifying racket!

Thank you for all your thoughts, I considered each one carefully and I am happy with my choice. However I instantly feel the pull of further modular exploration, the 0-Coast really is a gateway drug.....I am glad to start with a semi modular as I think for now I would be hopelessly lost without some default connections to at least get the ball rolling. However I am already doodling some ideas on Modulargrid:)

indigoid
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by indigoid » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:56 pm

ace. Korg SQ-1 seems like an obvious expansion? Clearly not as fancy as the 0-ctrl but also rather cheaper — and when you're not using it with the 0-coast, it will do hz/volt output for your MS-20 too
Zap him again! ZAP THE SONOFABITCH AGAIN!

Beewo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Beewo » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:23 pm

I have an 0-ctrl and a Pico System III, you definitely have to get creative with the mixers juggling, attenuation, and signal routing for both CV and audio. It's a great little system though, feels very open ended. The BBD in it is filthy and imo awesome. That said I have a Strega on the way (just got my shipping notice) and make noise is really smart in how they include attenuators and offsets when needed at the inputs. I am giving some thought to selling my pico system to get the 0-coast because between the strega and 0-coast I could get some similar functionality.. I dont think I can part with the Pico System 3 though, it is a really cool self contained system.

Cat-A-Tonic
Lobsters love Muff

Post by Cat-A-Tonic » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:38 am

That Pittsburgh Voltage Lab does seem like a fun self-contained system.

I wonder if you have a chance to check out Frap Tools since you currently reside in Italy.

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”