The most important things I've learned in my first year of modular

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

electricfence
Wiggling with Experience

Re: The most important things I've learned in 50 years of modular.

Post by electricfence » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:39 am

Hovmod wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:53 am
Pelsea wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:58 pm

10.2 A real master can produce gold with nothing but an oscillator and amplifier.
10.2 was brilliantly demonstrated by Jack White in the intro of It Might get Loud.
That’s sort of how it all began. A Theremin is basically just an oscillator and an amplifier with antennae rather than knobs.

Genox
Learning to Wiggle

Re: The most important things I've learned in my first year of modular

Post by Genox » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:20 am

I learned that modular is really hypnotising and hard to tame ! I get stuck in "stupid" loops and cant move forward for hours. It's like when I get an idea and try to do it the modular takes back control from me and guide me elsewhere :twisted:

I finally was able to get rid of all my odd hp modules when I decieded to buy the piston honda mk3, here we go again. :doh:

HZR
Common Wiggler

Post by HZR » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:10 am

1. i dont need any vcas (at this time)
I have a MI Veils in my Rack and mostly use it for distortion (i got a heartbroken veils btw)

2. an eurorack synth doesnt has to be a monosynth
This holds me off for years to buy a rack, i just didnt get my head alund the modular idea

3. i need more vcf‘s
I recently tried out pinging filters on vcv rack, and i love it, so i need more filters i guess
Btw this is the first situation where a vca makes sense for me

4. if you wont modulate drum modules, consider getting a drummachine instead
I wanted to build a fully working groovebox but its so damn expensive to even get a basic drumkit together, i keep the kickdrum i‘ve build from Davids pcb but i will soon get a Drumbrute impact for shure. It costs a little bit more then a erica hihats module so...

5. dont try to get a themed eurorack appearance if your rack is not finished (even if its never finished)
Painting modules black is fun and it feels cool to get an module which no one has in this colour, but resale value goes to zero if you also handwrite everything on the panel. :bang:

kingsmore
Common Wiggler

Post by kingsmore » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:36 am

Bitter Synth wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:54 am

1. You definitely need Make Noise Maths in order to be true.
1.1 Unless you want to be really true, then you don't have Maths, but for a different reason.
1.2 So either way you're not true. This is like lifting weights. Do you really lift? No you don't.

2. Your modular case always tunrs out to be 1 HP too small.
2.1 So you buy another case. That one is also 1 HP too small......
i like this format!

something should be said about mixers....both in and out of the rack....real roller coaster for me at least

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”