Colored cables!

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Do you use colored cables and how?

Just black for me
6%
For different signal types
11%
For different voices
8%
Randomly
57%
Other?
18%

Total votes: 115

daverj
Vintage Video Wiggler

Post by daverj » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:24 pm

I want cables that change color as the voltage going through them goes up and down. :sb: :sb:

wetterberg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wetterberg » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:30 pm

SubG wrote:
wetterberg wrote:
If I had to memorize the cabling I would spend all my time doing that. No thanks. :sadbanana:
If u have a sound in your mind,do u actualy know how to patch to get it?

yes?, well then u have the patch in your memory.

if u cannot memorize the cabling = you don't know what u are doing,or you are not able to analyze synthezised sounds,its logic!
I didn't say I couldn't memorize cabling. I said no thanks to it. I believe you quoted that bit, even...
SubG, out of interest, how big is your modular (to gauge scale, not bragging rights, that's not what I'm after here), and roughly how many modules do you use in a patch? Oh, and a last question; how do you feel about the other users who say they also use coloured cables?
cheers.

mateo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mateo » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:05 pm

daverj wrote:I want cables that change color as the voltage going through them goes up and down. :sb: :sb:
Hey they've got light up usb cables, why not light up patch cables!

gmcerveny
Common Wiggler

Post by gmcerveny » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:12 pm

daverj wrote:I want cables that change color as the voltage going through them goes up and down. :sb: :sb:
I want cables with muscle wires so the whole spaghetti mess squirms with the voltage.

:goo: :goo: :goo:

DGTom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DGTom » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:35 pm

SubG wrote:
if u cannot memorize the cabling = you don't know what u are doing,or you are not able to analyze synthezised sounds,its logic!
This logic is totally flawed IMO. I understand what you are getting at & it works for you, I just don't agree.

When I imagine / remember / whatever a patch I do this by thinking about what I want to acheive, then imagine how it would be patched up, this creates a modular in my mind & somehow by magic the modules I'm patching are right next to each; if only it was like this in real life!!

The pigment of the cable makes no differance in memorizing.

I use coloured cables, with coloured banana plugs, more often than not; the plug doesn't match the cable even - pure whim, but it helps identify them; 4 colours of plug X 3 colours of cable.

Everytime you patch you add to your stock of learning, there's no physical memory involved in synthesis like playing the guitar.

wetterberg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wetterberg » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:59 pm

DGTom wrote:
SubG wrote:
This logic is totally flawed IMO.
I agree - the crux of the matter for me is that patching for me is an iterative method whereby the desired sound, however it may have been conceived to begin with, is achieved through a series of approximations, be they adjustments to knobs or patching of cables.
I never sit down and say: I want to go from x through y to z - it's always a process held in a feedback loop, a circular causal loop that makes it like a little fun cybernetics project. At every stage in the process I "know what I am doing", but since the system itself adds complexity, when I'm up to 30, 35, 40 patch cables I sure as hell don't know what my *CABLES* are doing. The point here is not to memorize where cables go - for me that's not what working on a modular synth is about, it's about managing the overall situation, then diving into a patch to do the adjustments, based on the perceived state of the patch; adapting the behaviour to the conditions.
DGTom wrote:Everytime you patch you add to your stock of learning, there's no physical memory involved in synthesis like playing the guitar.
I disagree to a certain extent with that statement; when I patch an LFO to a vca and the vca to the qmmg this certainly feels very physical.
I think where they differ is that while playing a guitar is very much tied to "muscle memory" the modular is more about procedural memory and sequence learning that are sort of related.

neandrewthal
full clout y'all
Location: Spending warm summer days indoors writing frightening verse to a buck-toothed girl in Luxembourg

Post by neandrewthal » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:08 am

If I had to be able to redo any patch I made or be able to patch up any sound I can hear in my head to know what I am doing, I'd just say no thanks to knowing what I am doing.
Initiate the sequence, create catastrophe.

wetterberg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wetterberg » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:56 am

neandrewthal wrote:If I had to be able to redo any patch I made or be able to patch up any sound I can hear in my head to know what I am doing, I'd just say no thanks to knowing what I am doing.
quoted for cryptic truth, heh.

tj
music - sound + noise

Post by tj » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:02 am

that would be amazing! :goo:

DGTom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DGTom » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:12 am

wetterberg wrote:
DGTom wrote:Everytime you patch you add to your stock of learning, there's no physical memory involved in synthesis like playing the guitar.
I think where they differ is that while playing a guitar is very much tied to "muscle memory" the modular is more about procedural memory and sequence learning that are sort of related.
Muscle Memory was exactally what i meant by physical memory; the remembering & reiteration of position, application of pressure etc. etc.

I would say the only thing my viscera gets out of patching is scratching my head / chin, bopping along & the occasional whack in the face with a patch cord when I get a little over excited :omg:

however, it is very physical, your right, you get inside the machine & chase the ghost around. But, I don't use the modular to synthesize discrete voices or specific sounds, I use it as my own Laval Forms Symphonic Orchestra Machine. I think if you patch as an open source way of getting from point A to point B in the most effcient manner it may well be very differant :mrgreen:

DGTom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DGTom » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:13 am

neandrewthal wrote:I'd just say no thanks to knowing what I am doing.
This is pretty much my standard answer...

... to any question.

SubG

Post by SubG » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:18 am

wetterberg wrote:SubG, out of interest, how big is your modular (to gauge scale, not bragging rights, that's not what I'm after here), and roughly how many modules do you use in a patch? Oh, and a last question; how do you feel about the other users who say they also use coloured cables?
cheers.
scale is not importand,the limit of the complexity of the patch IS ofcource.

i think am always around 20 to 25 cords max.

In several patches,there are some kind of 'presets' i use (like always the same feedback pads etc.),'built' over the years of experimenting to get most out of variation with a minimun count of modules. its like patching mini-generating blocks

tricks that help u to memorize with the result u can made fast changes in live for example without passing thru a soundgap where u only hear a ufo sweep or something that can happen very easy in a big patch when u loose the machine because u forget what is controlling what.

I have no problem with ppl using colored cables,why should i?

anyhow,it was just an advice that could help for some if u plan for example to perform live in future,just forget it.

itijik
Three eyed monster

Post by itijik » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:18 am

Its not as exciting when you know exactly what you are doing. :lol:

SubG

Post by SubG » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:32 am

wetterberg wrote:
DGTom wrote:
SubG wrote:
This logic is totally flawed IMO.
I agree - the crux of the matter for me is that patching for me is an iterative method whereby the desired sound, however it may have been conceived to begin with, is achieved through a series of approximations, be they adjustments to knobs or patching of cables.
I never sit down and say: I want to go from x through y to z - it's always a process held in a feedback loop, a circular causal loop that makes it like a little fun cybernetics project. At every stage in the process I "know what I am doing", but since the system itself adds complexity, when I'm up to 30, 35, 40 patch cables I sure as hell don't know what my *CABLES* are doing. The point here is not to memorize where cables go - for me that's not what working on a modular synth is about, it's about managing the overall situation, then diving into a patch to do the adjustments, based on the perceived state of the patch; adapting the behaviour to the conditions.
Ok,i understand,but here is a difference between knowing what u are doing and knowing what to do,i mean it only helps u to get faster interesting results whatsever might be the sound u are synthesizing.

pugix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pugix » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:40 pm

I use the dot com patch cables, color coded by length.

http://pugix.com/synth/studio-2009/

All I need to think about when selecting a cable is what length to grab. I've never felt a desire to use different colors for different types of signal. And that would necessitate having a lot more cables around. I can use the same cable for any signal, and I enjoy the fact that there's not a hard and fast distinction between audio frequency and CV in my modular.
Richard
http://www.pugix.com

"Everything in our world is actually always modulated by everything else." - Peter B

decaying.sine
Broken <--> Fixed

Post by decaying.sine » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:31 pm

I have several different lengths and several different colors at each length. I usually just grab and go without much thought to color. My patches are usually fairly small.
Brian
"I must create a system or be enslaved by another mans; I will not reason and compare: my business is to create." William Blake

"Vactrols ringing, Dude." "Thank you Donny"

rezzn8r
Aural Enthusiast

Post by rezzn8r » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:07 pm

one application for coloured cables I use a lot is in conjunction with multi'd signals. different colours can make it easier to spot all the copies of a signal in a patch.
WTB: Miniwave Vowels & GR-New ROMs
-----------------
http://analognoisemonster.bandcamp.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/rezzn8r

krz
Ultra Wiggler

Post by krz » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:46 am

Anyone tried thedivinenoise.com cablery?

fac
wig MUffler

Post by fac » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:00 am

Most of my cables are randomly colored. I have some dotcom cables, but I really just select a random cable of the proper length and patch it. Having different colors also makes it easier to follow the signal path.

VinceL
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by VinceL » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:01 pm

When I first started my modular, I had exclusively Dotcom cables. As the size of my modular increased, so did the number and length of cables. I started putting colored electrical tape on the colored strain reliefs of the Dotcom cables to help identify them. That helped, but then I started buying the multicolor patch cables and extra 1/4" plugs from Orange County Speaker. I use some of the Orange County cables directly and also cut them and solder on 1/4" plugs to make custom lengths.

When you have many 4 foot and longer patch cables spanning multiple cabinets, it is very difficult to trace a patch with just the black Dotcom cables. The Orange County cables come in 6 colors. They make it much easier to trace patches. Plus, I find I have made many 6 inch cables (to connect modules adjacent to one another).
VinceL

-------------------------------------------
To paraphrase Sheldon Cooper: It's MU or No U

Stereotactixxx
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Stereotactixxx » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:31 pm

I voted "other". All my cables are brown (or "vintage tweed"). :bacon:

paloverde412
Common Wiggler

Post by paloverde412 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:58 pm

I'd second Orange County Speaker's multi-colored cable six-pack - They're the only cables that I use, and come in a variety of lengths. They're quality cables, work great, affordable (six for about $33 after shipping).

http://www.speakerrepair.com/mm5/mercha ... ode=37-310

Luka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Luka » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:44 pm

Banana user here

I have 5 colours with a range of different sizes. Each colour is usually a single voice or perhaps 2 colours per voice depending on the complexity of the patch. I dont change colour for cv / audio or gates - though sometimes ill have a colour for master clock and trigger I/o

FetidEye
demonic space drone

Post by FetidEye » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:02 am

i use random colors for my patching

before, when i made my own cables, i had only black
but i found that i got confused faster.. i couldn't understand my patch anymore after a few days .

with colors, i have no such problem.
I do like some chaos in my patching, if i had to color coordinate the signal paths, i feel it would block my creativity.

Christopher Winkels
Lord of Tweed Manor
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster

Post by Christopher Winkels » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:34 am

90% of my cables are Dotcom ones, which are affordable and colour-coded by length. But in a big patch where there might be seven or eight cables of the same colour it's nice to know where everything goes.

That's why one afternoon I spent a few hours with a couple of rolls of this:

http://www.3m.com/product/information/S ... pe-35.html

So now I might have a dozen of their 4' yellow cables. But with a contrasting band of tape around each end it's more like only two yellow and black, only two yellow and red, two yellow and green, etc. Much easier to pick out an individual cable in a dense cluster that way.

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”