Your "Ah-Hah" moment with modular

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

gis_sweden
Veteran Wiggler

Post by gis_sweden » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:08 pm

Module Ah-Hah moment... Trying/learning to tame Jupiter Storm.
This module can generate some sick sounds for sure but here
I use it as a beat making control center... Fun fun fun... :love: :banana:
[video][/video]

Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Shledge » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:23 pm

A crossfader can be used as a basic 2 step sequential switch.

Funkyjawa
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Funkyjawa » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:19 am

I actually started off with a modular synth, centered
Around a Mother 32. I hated it. The main reason I hated
It was that I wanted a meld of East and West. Instead I got
0 Coast (which I love). I have done an inordinate amount of mixing
And patching with that and I realized what I wanted: a Make
Noise System Concrete. What I wanted wasn't oscs , it's
Effects and modulation via a modular system. This is what I'll be
Working for.

gis_sweden
Veteran Wiggler

Post by gis_sweden » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:11 am

Funkyjawa wrote:What I wanted wasn't oscs , it's Effects and modulation...
:tu: Agree! That's what I'm going for.

Fugal
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Fugal » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:37 am

First break through was learning the potential when you start modulating modulators.

addendum
Common Wiggler

Post by addendum » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:53 pm

Nantonos wrote:Realizing that the fundamental frequency and the perceived pitch may be related, but are not the same.
Are you referring to formant synthesis or to weakening/ deleting the fundamental? The latter is a nice old trick from the Prophet VS and maybe some wavetable synths also.
Speaking of which, for me working with the MiniWave/ Waveform City leads to "aha!" moments on the regular.

wsy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wsy » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:44 am

Recent breakthrough - output of a rhythm generator (in this case a Noise Engineering Numeric Repetitor) clocking a Turing Machine
with a Volts expander, and that volts output controlling pitch.

It was like Bach. If Bach took drugs, that is.

- Bill
Last edited by wsy on Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Life is short. But we can always buy longer patch cords" - Savage

fearthegear
Learning to Wiggle

Post by fearthegear » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:02 pm

When I realized that what I create does not need to fit anyone’s idea of music (even my own). That I can create noise and sounds (and maybe even music) completely for my own enjoyment.

I had avoided buying a synth for many years because they all had keyboards attached. Having a keyboard made them musical instruments and i am not musical. Of course, i had making random noises on borrowed synths, delays and guitars (feedback!) for years. I only discovered eurorack about a month ago (randomly walked into Control Voltage in Portland) and that keyboards are optional!

I just filled my 84 starter rack and i am not sure how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Homepage Englisch
Common Wiggler

Post by Homepage Englisch » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:53 pm

My first a-ha moment: soft sync. You don't need keyboard, sequencer, arpegiator, quantizer, not even the square wave lfo's to make a pleasant melody.

Orwell
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Orwell » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:41 am

Using a make noise shared system

In general Using full systems from single manufacture - Sputnik, verbos, harvestman and so on.

You can really see, feel and hear why each makers modules were made to interact with one another
James Joyce was a synthesizer, trying to bring in as much as he could. I am an analyzer, trying to leave out as much as I can.
Samuel Beckett

alternating.bit
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by alternating.bit » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:35 am

Happens every week. :miley:

Late to this thread, but...
Sittidae wrote:This is a great thread. I never use VCAs for CV. Why not? I don't know, but I'm going to try it right now. Epiphany!
Same here. Looking forward to trying.

cycad73

Post by cycad73 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:36 am

1 - realizing every instrument has its own personality, success comes from not trying to push things too much, not trying to make every possible sound, just accept the restrictions and work within them... as long as something in it resonates with me, otherwise it's the wrong instrument.

2. at the same time, the personality of an instrument is never exhausted by how I relate to it, everything is overflowing with potentiality. personalities also shift over months or years, like a change in seasons.

3. the end result, the end configuration may be very simple and obvious. just a few instruments, not many modules. but there is no avoiding pitfalls along the way. mistakes, false assumptions, disappointments. mistakes happened because they needed to be made for me to arrive at what in hindsight seemed so clear and obvious.

4 - at this point, it's easier just to create the music I want to hear than try to find it, which is not to say others haven't done it better (they have), but there's just maybe one album here, a hint of something there... there is a point where you're no longer tethered to genre or something easily explainable, it's exhilarating but scary.

5 - while creating, habits or better yet instincts are most helpful; ideas are not. Ideas block the inspiration from being seen. The toughest thing was learning how to not think, or what "not thinking" really is, since we spend so much time thinking -- (also, that "not thinking" cannot be thought). A corollary: the composition/performance divide always exists.

6 - realizing that the musical world *is* a virtual reality, though a very limited one coupling a very restricted set of movements to sound, but it's still a place where I can invert causality or even stop time altogether, or shift into another, truer mode of being. the key is restricting oneself to specific patterns of interaction that make these truer worlds come into existence.

soggybag
Wiggling with Experience

Post by soggybag » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:37 pm

There were many but getting the settings right on the ADSR is a big moment. Before you have it right it doesn't seem to do anything.

PhineasFreak
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by PhineasFreak » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:46 pm

today i disccovered karpluss strong synthesis.

im very very happy..

Scories
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Scories » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:39 pm

I don't know if it's an obvious one but I found a way to track a static drone. It's not perfect, but here's what you can do (I'm into the Serge paradigm here):

For instance, you can self-patch a Resonant Equalizer for a nice buzzy drone. Then you send the audio output to the input of a comparator set to zero (used here as a zero detector). Then you send the squared output to the TRIG IN in of a DUSG. You adjust the rise/fall of the DUSG at a very short delay and you can also trim a little for subtle filtering. From that point, you can use the 1v/oct input for tonal changes.

It's not perfect, but interesting sounds should come out.

johnnyapolis
Common Wiggler

Post by johnnyapolis » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:34 am

fearthegear wrote:
I just filled my 84 starter rack and i am not sure how deep the rabbit hole goes.
As long as they keep building new stuff, it's never ending! :tu:

Chopper
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Chopper » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:07 am

Sticking CVs and gates through analogue delay pedals first...

OlivierWah
Common Wiggler

Post by OlivierWah » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:54 am

When I use for the first time Cwejmans module. Especially, when I use for the first time my RES-4 and put some audio rate cv inputs. Damn !

DSC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DSC » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:23 pm

Last edited by DSC on Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:52 pm

I've had Shapeshifter for a couple of months and a lot of this time has been spent asking, "why is it doing THAT?" Using it in a patch today, had it doing some really quite complex shit, and I realised, "I know EXACTLY what is going on!"
Is it finished?
Latest Tune:
Sounds: SoundCloud , Freesound
Racks: Big Case, Top Row, Funboat, Tinicase

pivoter
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pivoter » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:48 pm

cptnal wrote:I've had Shapeshifter for a couple of months and a lot of this time has been spent asking, "why is it doing THAT?" Using it in a patch today, had it doing some really quite complex shit, and I realised, "I know EXACTLY what is going on!"
How do you like the shapeshifter? I just got one for a good price but I'm eying the new cloud terrarium.

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:06 pm

pivoter wrote:
cptnal wrote:I've had Shapeshifter for a couple of months and a lot of this time has been spent asking, "why is it doing THAT?" Using it in a patch today, had it doing some really quite complex shit, and I realised, "I know EXACTLY what is going on!"
How do you like the shapeshifter? I just got one for a good price but I'm eying the new cloud terrarium.
Hey, mate. How goes?

It's a mercurial beast. Took me a good while to master the basics and I reckon I'm fairly handy with it, but it still has me asking sometimes, "WTF is that?" in good ways and bad ways. I don't think I'll ever get to the bottom of it fully, but that's part of the attraction.

If you're despairing of ever getting to grips with it, don't rush out and get another osc for that reason. Stick with it. You'll find it rewarding. Eventually...

If you haven't already, be sure to check out Seth Shafer's excellent tutorials. But bear in mind they're for an older firmware (there's also a video from Intellijel explaining what's new). The manual makes a good job of explaining what it does, but not necessarily why that's cool. Mr Shafer fills that gap.

Happy wiggling!
Is it finished?
Latest Tune:
Sounds: SoundCloud , Freesound
Racks: Big Case, Top Row, Funboat, Tinicase

Mashmore
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Mashmore » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:17 pm

Not sure if "ah-ha" but..

No need to get too fancy with modulation.

If a simple gate as cv modulation works... it works. there is nothing wrong with that. (Modules in particular that helped drive this home to me were the BIA and Akemie's Taiko)

It is easy to stop listening and get lost in the details. Follow your ear and gut.

Midiot
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Midiot » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:53 pm

I get several "ah-ha" moments a week...... usually involving my mixer's output "volume knob".

also... "reading the manual".

(and another one just now, realizing that "ah-ha" is a palindrome.)

diode_destroyer
Common Wiggler

Post by diode_destroyer » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:12 am

Discovered I can use dixie ii+ outputs in build other waveforms with mixer or vca, e.g. pulse and sub attenuated and mixed make the cool rubicon sub waveform shape (with pwm if you want), and sin into vca with square into control voltage input can make sigmoid shapes, etc. Neat.

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”