Anyone here finished building their modular?

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

alternating.bit
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Anyone here finished building their modular?

Post by alternating.bit » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:17 pm

I'm curious if it's typically a financially imposed decision, or is anyone here completely content with their modular setup and filled whatever space and just stopped out of complete satisfaction alone. "This is all I need."
Anyone? Anyone??

fac
wig MUffler

Post by fac » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:43 pm

I am. For now. I have two systems, one in MU format (~80 spaces, only 1 space left) and an eurorack (9U x 84 HP - all filled up). I haven't bought a module in 15 months.

I decided not to expand them further for multiple reasons:

- I never sell any modules, so in order to buy one, I must do a thorough research and comparison. This can be very stressing and I needed a break.

- A few years ago I made the mistake of selling some nice gear to finance my modular expansion. Once the modulars were filled up, I kind of wanted to buy back some other stuff.

- I bought my last module shortly after my second child was born. He (the baby, not the module) has kept me real busy and I have barely touched my hardware modulars in the past year. I've been mostly working with software modulars (Audiomulch and VAZ).

- My MU system got too big (no, really) for me. I think I'd rather start a new system/format than expand the ones I already have.

- I still have lots to explore with my current systems. There are lots of interesting new modules coming out every day, but only a few actually provoke me GAS (like that new Waldorf module).

That said... I am already contemplating a small expansion in the near future. I'm having someone build me new cabinetry for my MU system. The reasons are mostly practical and aesthetic, but it will also add 8 to 10 spaces to the rig, so I will eventually feel compelled to fill them.

So, I wouldn't exactly say that my modulars are finished, but they have reached a steady state. Eventually something will disturb it and the cycle will begin again. It has happened a few times before.

alternating.bit
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by alternating.bit » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:47 pm

So far one "no."

fac
wig MUffler

Post by fac » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:51 pm

alternating.bit wrote:So far one "no."
I've finished my 9U eurorack. I have no plans to expand it in the foreseeable future.

numan7
the most autistic amongst us

Post by numan7 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:58 pm

:guinness: i pretty much have (for the most part.... not counting :bugbrand:... or diy.....)....

cheers
“i'm telling you my dear that it can't happen here because i've been checking it out. i've been checking it out for a couple of days...”

SubliminalSandwich
Ultra Wiggler

Post by SubliminalSandwich » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:17 pm

I have a complete analogue systems system (24u).. because I moved a module I have 1 space for an extra vca.. I won't touch it then.. huge amount to explore..

My euro purchases have dried up because of cash.. the odd New module.. I don't look to expansion really.. if I have spare cash then ill scour the current crop of what's available..

Module searching mode takes my head away from getting into writing, so its reassuring to know "I can't buy anything"..

I still lust for a full metasonix system.. but it remains elusive.

tIB
Stainer!

Post by tIB » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:27 pm

My Bugbrand system is finished. Well, it sort of is- I have a 1u metal bar that I always intend to add a little bit of missing functionality in my system to- slew, passive switches and quantisers. In terms of actual modules though yeah its done and has been for over a year.

My buchla on the other hand has some changes to come... not sure quite how dramatic yet but I'm at least one module away from being done, and I may find I need to tweak other things.

Part of the reason those formats are probably easier to complete is the relative lack of new things compared to other formats. The bug has been growing for a while now so that was just a case of finding a nice balance of modules in a set size limitation- it may actually be a row too big but I'll never be able to pair it down so have given up trying. The buchla I will know more about with more time- it may be too big, I may switch out my non e stuff and I may keep as is.

Carl Hungus
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Carl Hungus » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:54 pm

I would buy complete instruments like a Blippoo or Ciat Lonbarde still, but as far as pure modular, I'm down to my last 3 modules of GASing, and then I can't say I really need anymore. Too much choice is creatively stifling for me.

So it's not really financial, more run its course for now. Thank fortune.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:56 pm

:roll: Finishing a modular is EASY! I've finished mine many times and I think I'll finish it again sometime soon . . . :hihi: :deadbanana:

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:21 pm

As long as makers come up with interesting new modules, I can't see it stoping. Lack of finances will slow things down but then the desire for something that just came out will mean selling something to get it. The nature of the beast.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

hamildad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hamildad » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:25 pm

my 6U is finished and I'm kind of enjoying not looking in the for sale forum, or wondering if the latest module is the one thats going to unlock all the potential in the my modular.

I can also look at other interesting things like Max7/ the Phenol and maybe a cheeky elektron that will compliment my modular, without thinking that any money not spend on modules is a wasted opportunity.

when you have gaps in your modular, you cant help think of what to fill them.... not having gaps, just stops me thinking about what else to buy.

( except I might swap the CVPal for a Expert sleepers module)

calaveras
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by calaveras » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:05 pm

I'm almost finished purchasing. Now it is just to see if I can finish assembling over the holiday weekend!
Okay I am still planning on buying one more row of particular stuff.
But I have no plans on buying anything after that, as I already have two Dark Energies which fulfill the 'basic' modular stuff for me and can get pretty weird with some external help.

I'm also not terribly interested in a lot of the latest gee whiz modules. I just want a few more oscs, envelopes, VCAs, mixers and LFOs, which I am building.

Heck at this rate I'm just going to have one row of Synthrotek, one row of 4MS and a row of Hexinverter/Erica Synths.

(though a dual Borg does look coooool)

alternating.bit
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by alternating.bit » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:03 pm

I think I should have set a rule for this thread... unless my question wasn't clear enough. Is anyone actually finished?!

So far I'm hearing a lot of "almost there" or "I think so" or "one module left"... look, take it from a guy who thought he was done a year ago. Just because you've filled a cabinet doesn't mean squat. Just because you think you will be finished once you get that last set doesn't mean diddly. I'm looking for any seasoned person who stopped buying at least a year ago, and is satisfied with their setup, and has the means to buy more but chooses not to. Is this really possible??

calaveras
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by calaveras » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:25 pm

I'm not that seasoned modular guy yet. But I have more than one iron in the fire. When I am finished with my modular synth build out, I'll start working on my 32 channel all discrete audio mixer or start building outboard recording gear like limiters, EQs and mic pres.
I mean I used to be a total pedal whore, then one day I had all the pedals I need. I haven't bought a pedal in years. Music stores miss my weekly :75: :cry: .
Last edited by calaveras on Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fac
wig MUffler

Post by fac » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:49 pm

alternating.bit wrote: So far I'm hearing a lot of "almost there" or "I think so" or "one module left"... look, take it from a guy who thought he was done a year ago. Just because you've filled a cabinet doesn't mean squat. Just because you think you will be finished once you get that last set doesn't mean diddly. I'm looking for any seasoned person who stopped buying at least a year ago, and is satisfied with their setup, and has the means to buy more but chooses not to. Is this really possible??
Maybe my response wasn't clear enough but:

1) I haven't bought any modules in the past 15 years and I have no plans to buy any more, even though I have the means. I bought my last eurorack module on Nov/2013 and my last MU module on June/2012. That means I haven't added anything to my MU system in two and a half years.

2) That *might* change if I move my MU system to a bigger cabinet because there would be holes to be filled, but I don't want and don't plan to buy any modules at least in the next months. For all I know, I might even move it to a smaller cab, but I don't want to sell anything, either. I'm not getting a new cab for more space, I'm buying it because having two dotcom portable cabinets in a vertical stack is risky: my cat already dropped them once (both the cat and the modular survived). Right now I can't use the full system until I give it a new house. Current cabinetry is 19 spaces x 4 rows (plus 8 spaces on the back), but dotcom cabs are 22 spaces wide; that's why a new cabinet could be larger. I'm currently looking for someone local who can make me a custom cab, but right now I can't predict the outcome of this move. If I get a bigger cab, I'll probably fill it up eventually, can't deny that. But I'm not looking forward to that.

3) I am completely satisfied with my systems as they are right now. There are some cool modules out there but none of them is a must-have for me.

4) I think people can actually have a plan for their modular and follow it until it's finished. I know I have, for the most part. Your experience might be different but that's no reason to disbelieve those who say they're nearly finished. On the other hand, just because someone's modular is finished doesn't mean they can't change their mind in the future. I think a modular is finished when the owner thinks it is, for as long as he thinks it is.

blt
The Cilantro Catalyst

Post by blt » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:46 pm

JohnLRice wrote::roll: Finishing a modular is EASY! I've finished mine many times and I think I'll finish it again sometime soon . . . :hihi: :deadbanana:
While John may be joking here, this is really the most accurate answer. Even if someone says they're finished and they haven't bought a module in years, doesn't mean they won't be buying a new module in the near future when the new MegaVCO5000 comes out. You may be looking for black and white answers in world of gray.

extra testicle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by extra testicle » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:48 pm

imo whole studio/everything is modular, so...

probably by most people's standards i'm finished? literal modules? oh yeah.

i don't like changing parts of systems because if i'm thinking in terms of missing i'm making assumptions about what i can do and that gets me out of exploring. i like adding/making other systems that look and feel different. no new systems are particularly interesting to me, feel pretty busy.

dunno i like learning new stuff so i hope something cool comes out eventually... that new microsoft holographic projection system seems like it could be pretty cool. or maybe hook microphones up to drones...

a7thson
Common Wiggler

Post by a7thson » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:07 pm

alternating.bit
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by alternating.bit » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:08 pm

blt wrote: You may be looking for black and white answers in world of gray.
Well said. Yet this is an answer in itself, saying that no one has finished then, truly.

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:56 pm

I'm almost done finishing my first patch.

carlosnyb
Ultra Wiggler

Post by carlosnyb » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:02 pm

Sometimes the idea of being done with a patch is like: "are you done with that lego landscape?" Technically the answer may be yes, but one could fit in another wiggle/lego.

As for the question: "are you done buying lego kits" -- well, one could reach satisfaction for a while, and then see some new kit and be tempted. Could possibly get a new kit or pass, could sell some or all of a kit to a collector.

The essence of lego... there are modules with known interfaces that allow permutation within a finite set that can expand or shrink. One could be satisfied with the current permutations within a set, but the set can be altered. At the end of the day... it's the end of the day...

alternating.bit
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by alternating.bit » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:25 pm

Sums up my childhood.

eolianmollisol
Wiggling with Experience

Post by eolianmollisol » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:48 pm

I love modular because its open-ended, I never really considered finishing it.

I don't think expansion is necessarily the answer to finishing a modular. I could see myself in the future having a smaller system that is more honed or refined as a result of creative evolution or tastes that have modulated to another pole (ahh yeah modular puns). As a biochemist my motto is: equilbrium is only reached in death and the rest is dynamics,,,is pretty much how I role.
soils sustain life

glia
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Anyone here finished building their modular?

Post by glia » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:18 am

alternating.bit wrote:I'm curious if it's typically a financially imposed decision, or is anyone here completely content with their modular setup and filled whatever space and just stopped out of complete satisfaction alone. "This is all I need."
Anyone? Anyone??

yes

financial factors played a part initially but it has really boiled down to my preference for pedals and discrete electronic systems.

i bought a tiny case about 2 years ago...filled it...sold/replaced modules quite a bit until this past december when i bought the final pieces i wanted and stopped

lots of cool modules out there but i'm not actively looking for a case upgrade or new modules and will enjoy exploring this cluster for a long time

Luka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Luka » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:21 am

yes i finished a few years ago though i have a few repairs to do

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”