Triadex "The Muse" pics and sound clips.

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

mayyammay
Common Wiggler

Post by mayyammay » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:26 am

Wow, crazy! Thanks for sharing.

wsy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wsy » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:22 pm

One of my ex-college-roommates was Don Tillman (of the Tillman Trapezoid TZ osc; I didn't know he was working on the
same damn problem as I was with the FM Ogre, how's that for wierd! FORTY YEARS LATER and we're still in the
same groove, and to be honest, each of our plans of attack haven't changed much.).

Anyway, Don put up a browser version of the Muse. Find it here- yes, it runs in the browser and you will need
to have Javascript enabled.

http://till.com/articles/muse/

I did get to play with a Muse once at a hamfest - the guy wanted $400 for it which given that it did include the light show but
wasn't demonstrably working, seemed a bit much.

- Bill
"Life is short. But we can always buy longer patch cords" - Savage

dslocum
darwin's nemesis

Post by dslocum » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:25 pm

OK, so what if a "certain someone" were to offer a modern Muse in MU format? Do you think there would be an interest at $325 ? Still working on features.

-- Should I move this to a new thread? ---

Doug Slocum
Synthetic Sound Labs
www.steamsynth.com
------------
"I guess all the Forest Mims Radio Shack books I read finally paid off!"
"I ordered twice as many _______ as I thought I'd need, only to find out that I'm still less than half way to having enough."
"...this whole thing was started by a dream and a mouse." - Walt Disney
"Flatulence sounds aren't just for brass and reed instruments anymore, thanks in large part to Dr Moog." - Ockeghem

Fallen_lassen
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Fallen_lassen » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:57 am

Wow. Will there be a 3u too?.

dslocum
darwin's nemesis

Post by dslocum » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:02 am

Fallen_lassen wrote:Wow. Will there be a 3u too?.
Unfortunately the sliders are too tall for 3u. I might try them with a smaller slider, but I'm afraid the 40 steps would be very wonky to set.
Doug Slocum
Synthetic Sound Labs
www.steamsynth.com
------------
"I ordered twice as many _______ as I thought I'd need, only to find out that I'm still less than half way to having enough."
"Flatulence sounds aren't just for brass and reed instruments anymore, thanks in large part to Dr Moog." - Ockeghem

jkjelec
Ektachrome plane...I see the flies

Post by jkjelec » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:25 am

Hell freakin' YES dslocum! You've got one order right here! :hyper:

alternating.bit
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by alternating.bit » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:46 am

I don't mean to appear negative but what does this sequencer offer that our common ones we have today don't? Or is this some sort of nostalgic thing. I know very little of the Muse and just glanced at a few YouTubes to discover it appears to be a rather antiquated / somewhat cryptic thing from the 70s.

[video][/video]

dslocum
darwin's nemesis

Post by dslocum » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:59 am

alternating.bit wrote:I don't mean to appear negative but what does this sequencer offer that our common ones we have today don't? Or is this some sort of nostalgic thing. I know very little of the Muse and just glanced at a few YouTubes to discover it appears to be a rather antiquated / somewhat cryptic thing from the 70s.

[video][/video]
Everything you say is true! Your point is well taken, and quite honestly, expected.

For the most part, this is a nostalgic piece. The original Muse (and the one I'm proposing) are very limited in their capabilities, and the sequences could be produced by other means.

Does that mean it's not of some value? I honestly don't know. I just think it's cool to have a close repro available.

Now if I can only get enough buyers..... :hmm:
Doug Slocum
Synthetic Sound Labs
www.steamsynth.com
------------

alternating.bit
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by alternating.bit » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:04 pm

Ah, thanks for clearing that up.
Hey, there's a market for everything. I paid an insane amount of money for a fully restored Formanta Polivoks. Something I could have probably replicated with a basic monosynth and a Polivoks filter module or replica. However, I wanted the real, raw and somewhat unpredictable thing, so there's that. :miley:

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:17 pm

Hey that could be pretty cool, especially with the gate & CV outs so you can use the Muse's sequencer function to control any patch in your modular. Much more useful than the original version that only had the simple internal tone generator.

Re: that space for a jack with TBD function - would a RESET input be useful? So an incoming trigger / gate starts the sequence at the beginning again?

And please spread those three toggle switches out a bit, they look kinda crowded. Maybe aligned directly over the three center jacks below them?

EDIT - just thought of something else - this thing would have a LOT of LEDs on it. Please include a LED brightness trim pot! Maybe even accessible through a tiny hole in the front panel, like the little trim pot on a Happy Nerding FM Aid?

tobb
Ultra Wiggler

Post by tobb » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:58 am

wow nice work!

numan7
the most autistic amongst us

Post by numan7 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:07 pm

wsy wrote:One of my ex-college-roommates was Don Tillman (of the Tillman Trapezoid TZ osc; I didn't know he was working on the
same damn problem as I was with the FM Ogre, how's that for wierd! FORTY YEARS LATER and we're still in the
same groove, and to be honest, each of our plans of attack haven't changed much.).

Anyway, Don put up a browser version of the Muse. Find it here- yes, it runs in the browser and you will need

this is so frigging great - possibly my favorite soft-synth (or soft-non-synth, if you take the viewpoint of the triadex muse not being an actual synthesizer) ever! thanks for posting the link, wsy! :hail:

cheers

Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dcramer » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:46 pm

dslocum wrote:
Fallen_lassen wrote:Wow. Will there be a 3u too?.
Unfortunately the sliders are too tall for 3u. I might try them with a smaller slider, but I'm afraid the 40 steps would be very wonky to set.
:hyper: flip it sideways so the faders run from left to right!

jkjelec

Post by jkjelec » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:10 pm

Dcramer Heh, ...bbut, then it would a Dexatri Semu

colorbars
Wiggling with Experience

Post by colorbars » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:46 pm

dslocum wrote:OK, so what if a "certain someone" were to offer a modern Muse in MU format? Do you think there would be an interest at $325 ? Still working on features.

-- Should I move this to a new thread? ---

I’m in! :hyper:

fitzgreyve
Wiggling with Experience

Post by fitzgreyve » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:49 am

I don't normally post stuff until I have it fully working, but I'll make an exception in this case - Muse in 12HP of Euro:

The muse core logic is fully working, but I need to finalise the drivers for the UI.

THis has no inbuilt sound generation - just a CV/gate generator.
Under developement:
- "Muse"
---------------------------------------
https://fitzgreyve2.blogspot.com/

maltemark
Veteran Wiggler

Post by maltemark » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:58 am

Fitz, this gladdens me tremendously. I'll make a mini powered triangular case for mine!

adnauseam
Veteran Wiggler

Post by adnauseam » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:13 am

fitzgreyve wrote:I don't normally post stuff until I have it fully working, but I'll make an exception in this case - Muse in 12HP of Euro:

The muse core logic is fully working, but I need to finalise the drivers for the UI.

THis has no inbuilt sound generation - just a CV/gate generator.
Super cool! I'd love to have one.

I loved playing with the software Muse I had at I've point.

Others have asked ,"what's so cool about it?" My answer is "I don't know" it has this certain charm and can produce melodies that seem human and emotional. The melodies can be reproduced without fuss. The breadth of patterns is astounding, honestly.

The software Muse had 4 units in one and could produce beautiful harmonies if carefully adjusted.

Fitsgreyve, consider my attention piqued.
-adnauseam

this space intentionally left blank

KSS
Ultra Wiggler

Post by KSS » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:57 pm

Appears it's time for a Muse bandwagon. Seems next year we'll be swimming in Muse derived or themed modules. Know of at least two others in later stages of development, and there's Ken Stone's derivative which seems not to have garnered much attention.

Have been allowed to share a little about one of these. Is a two module set which may be used alone as a desktop recreation of the Muse. One module for each half of the original Triadex. Either module may be useful on its own, and together they provide the full Muse experience with useful and unique additions. The left module is the Analog Muse Next Gen, AMuseNG, with the Basic Muse Digital BMuseD to its right.

Unlike the ones shared in this thread these are not using micro's and instead follow the original circuit more closely. The Digital side has real 40 position slide switches instead of the pots Dslocum and fitzgreyve are using. It has one unique addition have not seen in Euro or MU before.

The AMuseNG has been expanded to include a nice synth voice, and retains the speaker which can be used 2600 like with other modules.

Neither of these will compete directly with fitzgreyve or Dslocum, being made for different format than Euro or MU. Ran this post by the developer before posting, and this is all I can share right now.

As for the suggestion earlier for DSlocum to add a reset jack, that's good advice. The start switch on the original performs that function. As a module in a system, it would be sorely missed if only the panel switch were present.

KSS
Ultra Wiggler

Post by KSS » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:39 pm

Dave Peck wrote:And please spread those three toggle switches out a bit, they look kinda crowded. Maybe aligned directly over the three center jacks below them?
Actually there is a benefit to having them close together. They are more easily played with one hand.

dslocum, the label for the left toggle is upside down functionally. You'd want it to match the step switch direction. Both use on-off-(on) toggles, and their (on) direction should be the same. Down is original.

Suggest adding the external switch also. It allows an easily attained slave master relationship between multiple Muse digital sections.

You may find once you get this thing underway you'll miss a fine pitch slider too. Looks like you could fit it across the top of the 4 toggles.

Don't know if having 30 instead of 31 shift register stages in the B section is a choice or oversight. Original is 31, and corresponds with a chip made available around the time this first came out.

jdontillman
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jdontillman » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:30 pm

wsy wrote:

- Bill
Hey Billy,

I've updated the page recently; fixed some annoyances, made it a little more interactive, added some more discussion, added a Linear Feedback Shift Register Demo, and a few more things.

Enjoy:

-- Don

jdontillman
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jdontillman » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:48 pm

alternating.bit wrote:I don't mean to appear negative but what does this sequencer offer that our common ones we have today don't? Or is this some sort of nostalgic thing. I know very little of the Muse and just glanced at a few YouTubes to discover it appears to be a rather antiquated / somewhat cryptic thing from the 70s.

[video][/video]
The available YouTube videos on The Muse are just awful. This Micky Mouse Glove version that comes up first is probably the worst.

Your comment about an "antiquated cryptic thing from the 70's" is exactly how Glove Boy is treating it here; doesn't have the slightest idea what he's doing, and it's tuned up so high you can't discern the pitches.

It would be great to have some serious instructional videos on the Muse, but unfortunately no such thing exists.

The Muse is not a sequencer, it's an algorithmic composer, and it offers half a dozen truly fascinating mechanisms of composition. And you can combine them. I describe them in some depth in my article, and you can try them all out with the simulation.

-- Don

jkjelec

Post by jkjelec » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:58 pm

Hey dslocum! No pressure or anything... :roll: :lol:

maltemark
Veteran Wiggler

Post by maltemark » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:12 pm

fitzgreyve: how is your commendable work coming along?

fitzgreyve
Wiggling with Experience

Post by fitzgreyve » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:31 am

maltemark wrote:fitzgreyve: how is your commendable work coming along?
I now have the basic user interface working (lots of blinkenlights) . The software is currently still running on a different processor board to the target module, so I now need to port it across to the correct processor (always fun!), and I can then finalise the features.

Before anyone asks, those are alpha pots with clear shafts (knobs not yet fitted) and bi-colour LEDs underneath - the LEDs show the current state of each control, the display is currently showing the setting of the "active" control.
Under developement:
- "Muse"
---------------------------------------
https://fitzgreyve2.blogspot.com/

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”