Understanding the Krell Patch

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Circus of Mind
Common Wiggler

Post by Circus of Mind » Wed May 04, 2016 5:34 pm

I made a little Krell patch based on Dcramer's video. It's only my second eurorack recording, so...

[video][/video]

franman69
Veteran Wiggler

Post by franman69 » Sun May 08, 2016 10:45 pm

Really nice work guys... These are inspiring patches and clips for sure... These are also much of the reason I'm getting back into synthesis after a lengthy break... hoping to put a granular sample twist into this recipe with various seed waves to see what happens...

amsonx77
Learning to Wiggle

Post by amsonx77 » Mon May 09, 2016 7:38 am

I don't know if this ca be called Krell music, was a little experiment that i do some years later using as core the A-149-1 for Doepfer..

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/31871860" params="color=ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false" width="100%" height="166" iframe="true" /]

Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dcramer » Tue May 24, 2016 6:16 pm

Wow, sounds great guys :yay:

And as promised...

My most diabolical Krell patch yet:

Polyphonic times three!
[video][/video]

ikjoyce
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ikjoyce » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:43 am

I finally got my A-149-1 RCV, and A-141-2 VCADSR - so I HAD to give this patch a try!

I recorded the patch twice - once set up to sound a bit 'brassy', and a second time to sound more like a flute - I am quite pleased with the flute sound in many places - it has a vibrato that changes in amount and speed based on pitch and how fast the note is being played, and also has some 'breath' added as it gets louder.
The reverb is totally in modular (Springray) in keeping with the style of the patch. No external effects were used.

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/268471977" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

ikjoyce
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ikjoyce » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:54 pm

Further playing around with the Krell patch, which is playing the 'flute' here, I added a 'tuba' and a 'trombone' to harmonise with it.
These are sequenced, but with triggers and clocks derived from the Krell patch. The quantisers are also sequenced, so there is some harmonic modulation going on. All voices have dynamics and timbre changes associated with pitch and duration - this is quite a complex mess of wires!

Anyway, it sounds fairly "20th century orchestral", which I am quite pleased with.

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/268489721" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

Sleipnir
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Sleipnir » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:45 pm

Amazing stuff by all. Epicness from dcramer as always. :hail:
I'm currently going through all of ikjoyces soundcloud while I work :tu:

Crossposting from the SynthTech FB group a couple of weeks back...

I've been listening to/tweaking on this for about 2 months so I figured I should record and maybe share it before I tore it down. One of the nice things about a larger system is being able to leave something like this patched while still having plenty left over to play with.

I started this because I wanted to play with a proper Krell-type patch (thanks to this thread), and I also wanted to talk myself out of buying a Rings (it worked). This was also after paul's rant about posting non-SynthTec based sounds on that group, so my self-imposed challenge was to have all sound sources be SynthTech :hihi:
I don't have full patch notes - it's kind of a bear. I also had to repatch after my QPLFO crapped out - had to put my looping Envs into backup LFO duty, while trying to maintain the tempo changes (I mostly failed, though it's still pretty OK IMO).
I wasn't trying to emulate the Krell sound, just the "changing tempo and envelope via self generating means" aspect. Managed to use almost every module in a 15u section of my system. 3 sets of clock dividers, and there isn't even any drums!

The main tempo keeper is a MN Function, which is in turn being modulated by one channel of a MI Peaks.
Drone is E340 Saw @8x into an E440, which is modulated by the x/y of an ADDAC 503, (which in turn is modulated by some clock divisions into a Short Bus). Great semi-random undulating-ness out of 2 square waves there.
The "bell" is an oscillating E440 being FM'd by a Modcan DualWave, which is using the inverse of the bell VCA envelope to morph between waves as it fades out.
The melody and 'bassline' are 2 E350s, with the X of both being swept by the 2 outputs of an E355. Pitch for them is a choked down Noisering running free. That is then fed into an S&H and an A-156 quantizer for the melody, which is then split into another S&H (disting, because no drift) with a divided clock to pluck a melody note now and then to hold.
Then there's... mixers and stuff. Effects are a pair of Lexicon MX400s in the aux sends for reverb, echo, and some mild detuning. One take into Reaper, with wiggling to fade the voices in and out at the beginning/end.

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/265608290" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

sunsinger
Watcher of the Skies

Post by sunsinger » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:06 pm

amsonx77 wrote:I don't know if this ca be called Krell music, was a little experiment that i do some years later using as core the A-149-1 for Doepfer..

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/31871860" params="color=ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false" width="100%" height="166" iframe="true" /]
Sounds like "Forbidden Planet" to me nice work!

ikjoyce
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ikjoyce » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:18 am

Sleipnir - that track is great! Really visual and evocative.
:tu:

ikjoyce
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ikjoyce » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:11 am

I spent some time exploring the patch today, tweaking, adding more dynamics, adjusting the settings etc... and recorded three pieces that seem so form a little suite for synthesised flute and brass. (I tried adding other voices but it lost the purity of the sound, so I took them out again).

I have now unpatched the synth, or I will be lost in this patch for the next few months! :-)

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/playlists/232777685" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dcramer » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:48 pm

^sweet track. We need detailed patch notes! :sb:

ikjoyce
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ikjoyce » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:02 pm

Thanks Dcramer - unfortunately I have now unpatched so detailed notes are difficult! It is your basic Krell patch using A-149-1 and A141-2. The output from that goes into a quantiser and from there to Tides to create the flute (this also has noise mixed in). The brass is two A-110s fed notes that are sampled from the main melody at regular intervals (derived using two clock dividers). There are also two Pitts sequencers - one adding into the other, and a Dark Time also involved somehow (I forget now, but one half had 8 notes and the other 7!). These then feed into the 'transpose' input of the two quantisers to add more of a harmonic progression... It used a MASS of cables.

There is a video of it here if you want to try and cable chase.... :-)
[video][/video]

abmusic
Common Wiggler

Post by abmusic » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:07 am

Here's my humble contribution to the Krell patch:

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/269204259" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

I don't recall the exact patch notes, but it is mostly:

DPO Final Output
149-1/2 for pitches
Clouds for a little texture/space
Maths self cycling to modulate the Doepfer A-141-2
Wogglebug to modulate the Maths Rise on Channel 4
Maths Channel 1 Rise modulated by Channel 4

Very approximate so I apologize if that's a little off...but it's close! I followed along with Todd Barton's tutorial.

The wailing type sound led me to the title :tu:

ikjoyce
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ikjoyce » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:14 am

abmusic :yay: The way the phrases are punctuated by pauses and long spaces is very natural. There is often not enough space in electronic music, in my opinion (I am just as guilty of that myself!)

The tone is very much like an overblown whistle / recorder in places.

wigwig
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wigwig » Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:21 pm

Terrific. I love the collection on soundcloud.
Thanks
ikjoyce wrote:I spent some time exploring the patch today, tweaking, adding more dynamics, adjusting the settings etc... and recorded three pieces that seem so form a little suite for synthesised flute and brass. (I tried adding other voices but it lost the purity of the sound, so I took them out again).

wigwig
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wigwig » Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:29 pm

Nice. I like this.
And thanks for the patch notes — gives me an idea or two.
Sleipnir wrote: The main tempo keeper is a MN Function, which is in turn being modulated by one channel of a MI Peaks.
Drone is E340 Saw @8x into an E440, which is modulated by the x/y of an ADDAC 503, (which in turn is modulated by some clock divisions into a Short Bus). Great semi-random undulating-ness out of 2 square waves there.
The "bell" is an oscillating E440 being FM'd by a Modcan DualWave, which is using the inverse of the bell VCA envelope to morph between waves as it fades out.
The melody and 'bassline' are 2 E350s, with the X of both being swept by the 2 outputs of an E355. Pitch for them is a choked down Noisering running free. That is then fed into an S&H and an A-156 quantizer for the melody, which is then split into another S&H (disting, because no drift) with a divided clock to pluck a melody note now and then to hold.
Then there's... mixers and stuff. Effects are a pair of Lexicon MX400s in the aux sends for reverb, echo, and some mild detuning. One take into Reaper, with wiggling to fade the voices in and out at the beginning/end.

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/265608290" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

Willowhaus
Common Wiggler

Post by Willowhaus » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:16 pm

Dcramer wrote:Awesome :tu: nice to see!

Here's a little vid I did a couple of years ago detailing a Euro version:
[video][/video]
I had to do a lot of Buchla research to figure out the equivalent module functions. Mine is a little different in that it's two voiced and the second voice is chords, that change root and quality, derived from the melody, but less frequently. My melody voice makes use of a highly correlated Wavefolder/ring mod patch, but doesn't have the high/low note tempo correlation. :party:
That is some excellent work! :hail: I'm still trying to wrap my brain around it...but the walkthrough is great.

Willowhaus
Common Wiggler

Post by Willowhaus » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:28 pm

ikjoyce wrote:I finally got my A-149-1 RCV, and A-141-2 VCADSR - so I HAD to give this patch a try!

I recorded the patch twice - once set up to sound a bit 'brassy', and a second time to sound more like a flute - I am quite pleased with the flute sound in many places - it has a vibrato that changes in amount and speed based on pitch and how fast the note is being played, and also has some 'breath' added as it gets louder.
The reverb is totally in modular (Springray) in keeping with the style of the patch. No external effects were used.

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/268471977" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]
Very nice work!

Willowhaus
Common Wiggler

Post by Willowhaus » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:29 pm

abmusic wrote:Here's my humble contribution to the Krell patch:

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/269204259" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

I don't recall the exact patch notes, but it is mostly:

DPO Final Output
149-1/2 for pitches
Clouds for a little texture/space
Maths self cycling to modulate the Doepfer A-141-2
Wogglebug to modulate the Maths Rise on Channel 4
Maths Channel 1 Rise modulated by Channel 4

Very approximate so I apologize if that's a little off...but it's close! I followed along with Todd Barton's tutorial.

The wailing type sound led me to the title :tu:
Very cool, and also thanks for the notes!

Acquadar
Common Wiggler

Post by Acquadar » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:41 pm

That furthrrrr Krell is the best ,not Barton, one.

mebitek
Common Wiggler

Post by mebitek » Wed May 16, 2018 7:51 am

here's my krell patch:

[video][/video]
Last edited by mebitek on Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Electronic music/video producer and composer.
Dark Ambient Cinematic atmospheres from Sardinia.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Wed May 16, 2018 5:52 pm

ikjoyce wrote:Thanks Dcramer - unfortunately I have now unpatched so detailed notes are difficult! It is your basic Krell patch using A-149-1 and A141-2. The output from that goes into a quantiser and from there to Tides to create the flute (this also has noise mixed in). The brass is two A-110s fed notes that are sampled from the main melody at regular intervals (derived using two clock dividers). There are also two Pitts sequencers - one adding into the other, and a Dark Time also involved somehow (I forget now, but one half had 8 notes and the other 7!). These then feed into the 'transpose' input of the two quantisers to add more of a harmonic progression... It used a MASS of cables.

There is a video of it here if you want to try and cable chase.... :-)
[video][/video]
I realize that this was a two-year-old post, but I just want to say that this is my favorite Krell patch yet!
For every bullshit job, you need a bullshit education -- Brian Eno

ikjoyce
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ikjoyce » Thu May 17, 2018 8:01 am

Glad you enjoyed it, Dr. Sketch-n-Etch! :-)

ikjoyce
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ikjoyce » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:18 pm

Played with two simultaneous Krell patches tonight, each one controlling its own voice (one brassy and one oboesque). They seem to give each other space to solo, and also harmonise with each other, and even stop at points so it feels like there are movements. Thsi is entirely the modular - all I did was start and stop the patch.

http://soundcloud.com/ikjoyce/krell-duet

ikjoyce
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ikjoyce » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:24 pm

Another play with the patch, adding a third voice that gets its notes from Brainseed sampling one Krell but triggered by the other, and with envelopes triggered by an OR of the triggers from both Krell systems.

http://soundcloud.com/ikjoyce/alls-krel ... ends-krell

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”