How Many Outputs Do You Use?

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Flareless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

How Many Outputs Do You Use?

Post by Flareless » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:33 pm

Because you can never have enough VCAs I was wondering how many outputs folks use from their modulars.

I use a 12 channel outboard mixer (a Mackie Onyx 1220i) which I patch two of my VCA outputs into. So far this has been enough. While I have 5 VCAs I generally use only two of them for actual output to the speakers (through the mixer) while the others are used to patch signals back into the modular. This is all dependant on the patch of course.

Yesterday I got a sequencer (YAY) and I made a cool patch with both a bass sound and a more treble-ish melodic sound. Each of these comes from their own VCA into a channel of my outboard mixer.

Tonight I added a funky drum patch. Nothing complex just a Barton Analog Drum patched through a CGS01 then filtered and run through a third VCA. This VCA then gets output to another channel in my mixer for a total of three (3) VCAs going out to the mixer and then to the speakers.

I still have more VCOs, not to mention other toys to create more sounds per patch. Soon (next month) I'll have another 44 space cabinet (MU format) bringing the total to 110. Add to that a pile more toys and I can imagine complex patches with piles of individual sounds mixed together through my outboard mixer.

I was wondering how many of y'all use multiple outputs from your modulars. How many do you use? How do you avoid "outboard overload"? Is this process normal? Beneficial? Insane?

Sorry if this thread has already been covered. I searched for an existing topic but couldn't find anything. I'm mostly curious. Since this works for me and since I have several free channels in my mixer this method is no problem. I was just wondering what others are doing.
Rich

What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it gives forth a sound - Neil Peart

fac
wig MUffler

Post by fac » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:01 am

Usually between 4 and 6 from my large modular (90-space MU system) and 2 or 3 from my small 9U eurorack.

101010oxo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 101010oxo » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:23 am

I usually try to make something just with the modular and maybe a drum machine.

So, I run two to three voices/parts plus drums into my audio interface (often two mono lines and one stereo - the output of DLD or Clouds) and use a DAW as a multi-FX and recorder.

Tronman
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Tronman » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:06 am

I have 4 voices, so 4 outputs.
Streetly Electronics - the one and only authentic Mellotron company: http://www.mellotronics.com/

x2mirko
Veteran Wiggler

Post by x2mirko » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:24 am

I have 6 outputs through my ES-6 and it's usually enough. I have been considering picking up another ES-6 for modulation of reaktor ensembles and ableton live parameters, though.

Flareless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flareless » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:10 am

Great feedback so far folks. Thanks!

I might have to mix up my setup a bit as I can see way more coming out of the modular starting in the next month or so....

Right now my Onxy 1220i is aggregated with an Onyx 1640i through FireWire. That's one great feature of these mixers (makes up for the crappy support - kind of). Several of the upper channels (7, 8, 9....16) on the 1640i aren't used all the time unless; A. lots of instruments are being recorded at once or B. My entire drum kit (Neil Peart style :drums: ) is being mic'd.

I use the 1220i and my notebook along with a Moog Sub 37 and Yamaha Motif XF in my electronic band, Fizzbin, so it has to be ready to be removed from the setup at any time. I prefer not to have to unplug a lot of the "permanent" fixtures in the studio (like the modular) so I'm always looking for the most efficient way to wire things up.

Thanks again for the feedback and please keep those solutions coming. I always learn a ton of techniques from listening to Wigglers :chug:
Rich

What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it gives forth a sound - Neil Peart

suboptimal
A Towering Mediocrity

Post by suboptimal » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:39 pm

Typically at least four: two from my system's primary (stereo) mixer, one for a bass voice, and at least one perc. Typically there are a couple perc voices. I have a fairly large Euro system.

Edit: I should also say that I am generally a single take sort of recordist. I don't do multiple takes. Recording and producing aren't really what motivate me.

rhythmdial
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rhythmdial » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:28 pm

ALL OF THEM!
about 6 from the modular into my mixer, 6 more from the SU700 and then stereo pairs from the SU700 main outs and a few other drum machines/synths.
Just getting used to having a small patchbay recently for on the fly moving things into eurorack for filtering and mangling.

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:43 pm

I have a 88-space MU rig but typically I only use a single stereo out about 2/3rds of the time and a mono out about 1/3rd of the time (although I typically add stereo effects after that). But I generally use my modular as a huge monophonic sound design machine for recording, not as a multi-voice multi-sequence live rig with simultaneous bass & lead & other stuff.

I generally send all final signals generated in the modular to a Dotcom Q113 dual mixer module located at the far right side of the modular to create the final stereo or mono output and control the overall output level with that module, and then the synth's output goes to a couple of channels on a 24 channel analog console along with several other synths and effects devices.

memes_33
Ultra Wiggler

Post by memes_33 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:50 pm

i have 8 outputs normalled to my mixer, which are also multed to my audio interface inputs. i mostly only record one or two parts at once, but i've definitely recorded 8 at a time before. my studio system is 18U.

DIY_geek
Common Wiggler

Post by DIY_geek » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:56 pm

I have 6 outputs on a system that is much smaller than most of the ones I see here.

That might seem like a lot for small system that's really only used for weird noises, alien soundscapes, and generalized sonic jackassery, but unpatching an active sound to clear up a channel is unacceptable for such things so I will occasionally use all 6.

The outputs are simple passive dividers (to approx line level) and routed to a standard Neutrik 1/4" patch bay with a normalized connection to a channel on a basic mixer. Often one or two channels will get used to insert guitar effects and such and then patched back up to the synth - so each one of those eats a channel that never makes it to the mixer.

My dream system has at least twice as many such outputs....
Needs more VCAs!

zengomi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zengomi » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:51 pm

On the receiving side (an RME UFX augmented by ADAT inputs from a UCX and AES/EBU inputs from a Yamaha SPX2000) the maximum number is 22.

On the modular side, the most I've used is 9 outputs, all mono. When recording, I like each sound to have its own track.

Abyssinianloop
Common Wiggler

Post by Abyssinianloop » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:08 am

In my small 6Ux84HP rack I have 3 VCOs that could get designated channels, plus a Dinky's for percussion, and a Radio Music. So 5 max, i guess. But often I'll put one oscillator to use as a modulator. I use 2 modular mixers--MA Mix and Turing Vactrol Mix (L&R), and send both to a small outboard Eurorack mixer. In the end I'm only outputing to 3 channels. Sometimes I'll use another channel with an old Electribe ESX sampler.

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:32 am

In my big Bastl Instruments Rumburak, I've got a stereo output module and before that I mix and pan everything inside the rack, using two six-channel mixer modules, plus a four-input VC-mixer. I carry my case around from time to time though, so like this I don't need to bring an external mixer.
You can also find and contact me here:
tuesdaynightmachines@gmail.com
YouTube
Instagram
nightmachines.tv

cram1960
Common Wiggler

Post by cram1960 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:23 pm

I use 4 outputs into an Ensoniq DP/4..

pirx
Common Wiggler

Post by pirx » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:33 pm

Up to four stereo pair outputs into 8 Tascam DP24 inputs.

captjrab
Veteran Wiggler

Post by captjrab » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:57 pm

I have two pgh outs and a Rosie. Seems like a lot of hp for mere output modules but all my cases are at least a single voice that can be used independently. I also like to tame the modular levels before they hit the audio line level world outside. Prob will get one of these great new mixer modules that are showing up one day.

Drakhe
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Drakhe » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:02 pm

I'm using 3 channels on my mixer (Soundcraft MTK22) for modular. The first is fed by an Intellijel Dubmix, the second is fed by Make Noise Rosie and the third is fed by Pittsburgh Modular's OUTS.

snevlida14
Common Wiggler

Post by snevlida14 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:30 pm

reading this helped my use what I already have more efficiently, thanks.

Flareless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flareless » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:30 pm

snevlida14 wrote:reading this helped my use what I already have more efficiently, thanks.
Definitely helpful!

Thanks to those who replied. :yay:

Since starting the thread I've dedicated four channels of my external mixer to my modular. Mind you, I have six VCAs right now so I anticipate dedicating a few more.
Rich

X PRO
Wiggling with Experience

Post by X PRO » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:04 am

cram1960 wrote:I use 4 outputs into an Ensoniq DP/4..
This is the way to do it right here :yay:

I sold my DP4 cause I had a ASR10, but my first one died and I sold my second one, need to get a third and an dp4 again...

hamildad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hamildad » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:30 am

I normally use a .MIX to mix everything in the modular to my uJACK, but I have noticed the bleed between channels, so sometimes I will use 4x 1/8" to 1/4" adapters to go into the 4x channels in my interface.

but normally, I can get 2 good voices out of my 6U, then add a volca beats & monotribe for variation.

more than 2 outputs, and I run out of modulation sources and ways to alter the sound.

but 4x outputs is good for rhythmic stuff, where I go Peaks BD & Snare, and 2x perc noises. all triggered from a CV pal.
My Synth Instagram here * My Synth videos here
-
External PSUs and DC jacks are the hallmarks of toys. - Graham Hinton.
-
I am one of the "tiny fraction of a percentage of oversensitive idiots" who feels the name of this site sends the wrong message.
-
This is primarily for melody and historical educational purposes - Analogue Music

Sleipnir
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Sleipnir » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:06 pm

I have a few modules I pull outputs from:
RxMx, MA/35, VCA4p, MA Mix, Roland 530.
These go into a Yamaha 16ch mixer. The aux busses go to a couple Lexicon rack units. The Stereo and CR mixes into an RME interface for 4 channels at once.
This has been very handy for adjusting levels, tweaking effects feeds, ability to mute channels, and whatnot, but have been thinking of pulling out the mixer and going directly to the RME. This will reduce the "turn it on and make noise" convenience, but will give me a lot more options for separating tracks.
:despair:

mousegarden
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mousegarden » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:12 am

I've never thought of taking outputs directly from VCA's into my outboard mixer. I route everything on my modular into two A-138's for stereo if necassary. But it's a bit limiting if I want to spread multiple sounds across the stereo field. I run my modular into a small Mackie 1402, then that goes into a bigger 1642, I do this because it expands my aux send options for the modular, as it can have its own seperate effects system.
I may expand things though, taking the outputs of a couple of VCA's into the mixer as well.

Flareless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flareless » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:35 am

mousegarden wrote: I run my modular into a small Mackie 1402, then that goes into a bigger 1642, I do this because it expands my aux send options for the modular, as it can have its own seperate effects system.
I've got 4 channels of my Mackie 1640i dedicated to my modular. I find using the Aux Sends for effects loop very helpful and flexible.
Rich

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”