How Many Outputs Do You Use?

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

rhythmdial
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rhythmdial » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:16 am

cram1960 wrote:I use 4 outputs into an Ensoniq DP/4..
that reminds me I have to check out the Zoom 9010 that I saw locally, would be excellent on the modular sounds

modmax69
Common Wiggler

Post by modmax69 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:00 pm

I have 2 VCA's now but I want to add another ADSR/VCA combo for my 3 oscillators ala:

http://steamsynth.com/shop/moog-unit-mo ... vca-combo/

loydb
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by loydb » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:26 pm

I've got 5 patchbay inputs to my 16.0.2 mixer, plus a Reflex set up on a stereo channel as an Aux pair. There are two mono channels still open on the mixer if I need them.

I have a Scan & Pan that can act as a 4-track sub-mixer, as well as a Cwejman VCA-4 that can also serve as a sub-mixer in a pinch. The fact that the LDB-2 has a built-in mixer helps a lot... I'm pretty sure I can also use the QMMF-4 as a mixer in a pinch...
15U 168hp Zebrawood case Build Log [FINISHED]: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... p?t=134540
MFOS Ultimate Expand-o-tron Build Log: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/view ... 797#308797
MFOS Mini-Controller Build Log [FINISHED!]: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/view ... hp?t=42968

mousegarden
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mousegarden » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:58 am

Flareless wrote:
mousegarden wrote: I run my modular into a small Mackie 1402, then that goes into a bigger 1642, I do this because it expands my aux send options for the modular, as it can have its own seperate effects system.
I've got 4 channels of my Mackie 1640i dedicated to my modular. I find using the Aux Sends for effects loop very helpful and flexible.
I suppose I could get an insert module, but using this mixer is more flexible, and doesn't take up rack space! Plus I have various tables, and can't integrate everything in a small space.

ideasculptor
Common Wiggler

Post by ideasculptor » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:55 am

I tend to use all of the outputs on my nw2s::io module and/or all 6 outputs on my expert sleepers module. I can only think of a few patches where I used both simultaneously, but I have that ability if I actually need 14 separate outputs to my DAW or fx. About half the nw2s::io ins and outs tend to be devoted to fx loops.

sammy123
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sammy123 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:54 am

When I actually record I run anywhere from 1-6 outputs into a tascam mixer. Then I send those outs to my 8 channel interface. 2 additional channels are for stereo FX, which I rarely use TBH.

Drakhe
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Drakhe » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:49 pm

Drakhe wrote:I'm using 3 channels on my mixer (Soundcraft MTK22) for modular. The first is fed by an Intellijel Dubmix, the second is fed by Make Noise Rosie and the third is fed by Pittsburgh Modular's OUTS.
To elaborate a bit:

channel 1 stereo - Dubmix = 4 channels with aux snd/ret going through H9
channel 2 mono - PM outs
channel 3 stereo - Rosie = 2 channels with aux snd/ret usually through erbe-verbe/echophone

second FX loop - PM inout with second H9 in the loop
extra FX available on mixer (Soundcraft Sig 22 MTK, dual fx processor)

utility mixers to feed the above: RxMx, SSM, 2xMUTE4, MIX4, 2xPM Mixer, Ladik attenuverting mixer, ModDemix, OptoMix, unity MIX,

And 16 assorted VCA's and 3 offsets (could use couple more ;-) )

Fiddlestickz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Fiddlestickz » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:35 pm

everything mixed down to a stereo pair on 1/4 inch jacks at line level, but I want to change this slightly, I'm going to incorporate a WMD pro outs module into each of my 5 cases so I can use one case to wiggle or all, if I have a stereo outs on 1/4 inch in each case I can then use any case, anytime, as a final outs to my interface/DAW, I have 8 ins on my MOTU and am only using 2 of them, so I thought I'd fill up the others with outs from each case, just makes the whole deal more flexible..

I can then think of each case as it's own independent synth/instrument...no different to having old drum machines and keyboards plugged into their own ins on the interface..

Scot Solida
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Scot Solida » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:02 pm

Dave Peck wrote:I have a 88-space MU rig but typically I only use a single stereo out about 2/3rds of the time and a mono out about 1/3rd of the time (although I typically add stereo effects after that). But I generally use my modular as a huge monophonic sound design machine for recording, not as a multi-voice multi-sequence live rig with simultaneous bass & lead & other stuff.
Must be a 5U thing. I've got a 132-space system and I almost always track from a single, mono output. However, it should be said that I tend to use a few mixer modules to 'mix in the patch'. On rare occasions, I will run two or three outputs from the modular. If I use a panner module, I run stereo out, but I almost never do this. I like mono. And hard panning. Must be a holdover from the 4 and 8-track days in the 1980s. :despair:

mousegarden
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mousegarden » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:15 am

Scot Solida wrote:
Dave Peck wrote:I have a 88-space MU rig but typically I only use a single stereo out about 2/3rds of the time and a mono out about 1/3rd of the time (although I typically add stereo effects after that). But I generally use my modular as a huge monophonic sound design machine for recording, not as a multi-voice multi-sequence live rig with simultaneous bass & lead & other stuff.
Must be a 5U thing. I've got a 132-space system and I almost always track from a single, mono output. However, it should be said that I tend to use a few mixer modules to 'mix in the patch'. On rare occasions, I will run two or three outputs from the modular. If I use a panner module, I run stereo out, but I almost never do this. I like mono. And hard panning. Must be a holdover from the 4 and 8-track days in the 1980s. :despair:
I just like Mono full stop. Stereo is boring, mono now sounds more exciting in comparison. Besides, stereo is almost irrelevant in clubs, and on PA's, alaways has been. It's only classical music listeners who these days still want to here where the instruments are.

Scot Solida
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Scot Solida » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:13 am

mousegarden wrote: I just like Mono full stop. Stereo is boring, mono now sounds more exciting in comparison.
Back when I did time in a pro studio, i always wanted to print up and wear a shirt that said 'Make Mine Mono' just to make the clients nervous. :hihi:
Last edited by Scot Solida on Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scot Solida
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Scot Solida » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:14 am

double post

InnnerSight
Wiggling with Experience

Post by InnnerSight » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:10 am

I tend to mix my voices together in my modular, so I only have one output as such.

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:47 pm

I have seven 6U x 84HP cabinets and skiffs. Out of those seven, five of them are sound producing cabinets. Three of them have Stereo modules as the last on the audio train (TipTop Z5000 effects, and A-109 voltage controlled signal processor modules) and the other two have 4ms QVCAMatrix typically being run in stereo with the other two channels as effects sends etc.

So typically I have 5 stereo feeds to outside mixers. My old Mackie CR1604 is finally dying after over a decade's worth of work (probably needs to be re-capped) and so this has put me in a bind. I have a old unity gain 3-stereo pair mixer combiner I made for a old 3-piece synth band I had back in the late 70's and it has helped me use a old smaller mixer I have but I really miss the channels and effects sends from the old CR1604.

For me it has always been - Mixers in the cabinet for mixing PARTS of a patch. External mixer for mixing PATCHES.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

technomania
Common Wiggler

Post by technomania » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:34 pm

1 output per voice usually into my a4.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Re: How Many Outputs Do You Use?

Post by MindMachine » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:50 am

oops - wrong thread.
Last edited by MindMachine on Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FS: SP-555 Sampler, Pedals, ASol SQ8 - CHEAP!!!
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... 4&t=227738
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:14 am

My audio interface has 8 analog AC-coupled inputs. I bring 6 of them into passive mults in my rack that I use as trunk lines, and patch them in stereo L/R or mid/side pairs or mono according to whim. (The other two inputs are for my Lyra-8 and Reface CS -> Analog Drive, always mono.)

I've also got an Expert Sleepers ES-3/ES-6 pair, so that's 6 more inputs which can handle either CV or audio. I don't usually need them unless I'm doing some hybrid patching of some kind... e.g. I need another crossfader so I patch it in Bitwig Grid, so that requires 3 inputs for mono or 5 for stereo.

Most of my recordings have 1-5 "voices" in them, and sometimes those voices aren't modular or are different in-the-box FX processing of modular voices. So I feel like I have plenty of I/O going on.
If FM overkill is wrong, I don't want to be right. ★ starthief.bandcamp.comstarthief.netModularGrid

Parnelli
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Parnelli » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:05 pm

I feed a 1202 with three stereo feeds from the rack. This allows me to separate tracks by basic frequency content (bass, cymbals, etc) which helps me not to be a stick in the mud. For instance bass drum and bass line go on separate tracks with other instruments like cymbals or noise with a track for midrange sounds. I use Mixups, and they are great, but I can run out of headroom quick if I put two bass lines through the same mixer, thus the mixing by band.

Does that make any sense? :guinness:

moremagic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by moremagic » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:48 pm

for audio, usually just the rosie. sometimes mono, sometimes stereo

for cv/gate ,maybe 5 or 6 if im doing a lot with the other gear

MutantLabs
Common Wiggler

Post by MutantLabs » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:32 am

After doing a lot of multi-output setups using consoles and audio interfaces, I ended up using just a stereo output from my 15U/84HP modular.
That's thanks to a Ladik M-176 mixer & M-179 input expansion combo, which gives me 2 mono plus 6 stereo modular level inputs and 4 stereo line inputs (used for pedal-fx returns and external gear). In "mono", this sums up to 20 channels.
The fx-routing is supported by a Doepfer M-138m matrix mixer, which serves as a 4 channel mixer with 3 pre-fader aux sends, that usually go into Clouds or other FX modules or into some external pedals.

IEC
Common Wiggler

Post by IEC » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:05 am

8 mono outs into my interface, need to get one of those behringer thingys so i can do 16 as 8 is not enough!

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:33 am

Technically I would have 16 outs (this n2ws module) for the system that could go via a patch bay to the mixer with those hooked direct out post eq and fader to the ad convertors. 12 VCAs, 4 LPG and 4 outputs from the ER-301 while sounds from 4 modules in the rack sometimes do not require voltage controlled amplitude. Practically the first 8 of the patched so far and there is Cwejman interface which I use sometimes especially when I patch a kick drum or other sounds that are standing out. But with all these output options there are far to less modulators, sources and cables around...

muleskinner
Common Wiggler

Post by muleskinner » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:55 am

6 on my current patch.

That seems a lot for what is a small system compared to most I see here but it quickly mounts up.

Morphagene L/R
Both outputs from Plaits
Neutron x 1
Pittsburgh Oscillator x 1

Then additional channels on my mixer for aux sends for delays and reverb.
Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

Pelsea
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Pelsea » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:55 pm

I have five available, and typically use three.
Books and tutorials on modular synthesis at http://peterelsea.com
Patch responsibly-
pqe

Xomrys
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Xomrys » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:06 pm

Six, I usually just use three/four, but it is nice to have occasional extras.

Mostly it's not for polyphonic 'parts', just filtering/vca send routing to effects.

Or -- if there is polyphony it's always like taking a different timbre, or taking the same melody but with periodic/alternating octave/fifth transpositions and delaying it. basically generative techniques. similar to those discussed by Suzanne Ciani.

anyway, my music would be nowhere without this capability. in this connection, I think of bandpass filters as frequency-dependent vca's. 'you can never have enough filters' can apply here in place of vca's. (but vca's have still other kinds of uses, for logic gating of sequencer triggers etc.)
Last edited by Xomrys on Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”