Roland system 100m lust

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

mwn
Common Wiggler

Post by mwn » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:29 pm

This thread got me to dig out my 100m and plug it in again. I keep going back and forth on whether to keep or sell it. The sliders are great, the mixers everywhere are great, the sound is killer.

trinithis
Common Wiggler

Post by trinithis » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:24 pm

tiz9000 wrote:Something not widely known is if you want to interface it with a Euro system you'll need to step up the trigger from 5V in Euro to 14V on 100M
My 100m works fine with ordinary Eurorack triggers...

tiz9000
Learning to Wiggle

Post by tiz9000 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:23 am

trinithis wrote:
tiz9000 wrote:Something not widely known is if you want to interface it with a Euro system you'll need to step up the trigger from 5V in Euro to 14V on 100M
My 100m works fine with ordinary Eurorack triggers...
Depends on the Euro module and on what you're doing. CV/Gate works fine usually but not trigger for me. I'm having a trigger/gate interface module made that steps up to 14V for the Roland and down to 5V for Euro. Glad it works for you though!

mike.synthesizer
Common Wiggler

Post by mike.synthesizer » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:46 pm

I've restored a few 100M systems. I don't think they're extremely difficult to repair or keep up with. Everything is easy to access and they are far more rugged than just about everything made today. Every module has its own shielded case and the front panels are a very thick gauge aluminum. The rotary switches can still be found. The sliders are at a 90 degree angle so dirt doesn't get in them as easily.
We repair amps, pro-audio, and synths!
Chicago, IL USA
http://www.borishelectronics.com

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:23 am

what beer said.. + I think for the effort you are in the long run better off with a modern modular.. which do more are more "raw" and way more flexible + interchangeable..

egg
Learning to Wiggle

Post by egg » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:28 am

I have had six voice roland system 100m for six years. I thouht that if I move on eurorack I would have more flexibile system and more vairety of sounds then ı purchased intellijel ,tip top and make noise modules ,I have had euro almost for a year its fact that my euro is far flexible than my system 100m but I cant say same for sound quality and I always feel that there is something missing about my eurorack from the very begining The missing thing is 'character'
after ı tried euro I decided that ı never sell my system 100m (I havent tried cwejman yet)

minime123
buy/sell/trade

Post by minime123 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:08 pm

egg wrote:I have had six voice roland system 100m for six years. I thouht that if I move on eurorack I would have more flexibile system and more vairety of sounds then ı purchased intellijel ,tip top and make noise modules ,I have had euro almost for a year its fact that my euro is far flexible than my system 100m but I cant say same for sound quality and I always feel that there is something missing about my eurorack from the very begining The missing thing is 'character'
after ı tried euro I decided that ı never sell my system 100m (I havent tried cwejman yet)
i agree - although the functions found in eurorack modules are way better than those found in most vintage modulars, the sound just doesn't compare. you realize this when used side by side. vintage synths sound way better. we use lots of vintage modulars (and non-modulars) here and use modern modules only for things the vintage ones cant do.
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- Buy / Sell / Trade / Repair
- We Buy Broken Gear & Parts Too...
- Huge Selection, Dependable Service
- https://tonetweakers.com

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:34 pm

minime123 wrote:
egg wrote:I have had six voice roland system 100m for six years. I thouht that if I move on eurorack I would have more flexibile system and more vairety of sounds then ı purchased intellijel ,tip top and make noise modules ,I have had euro almost for a year its fact that my euro is far flexible than my system 100m but I cant say same for sound quality and I always feel that there is something missing about my eurorack from the very begining The missing thing is 'character'
i agree - although the functions found in eurorack modules are way better than those found in most vintage modulars, the sound just doesn't compare. you realize this when used side by side. vintage synths sound way better. we use lots of vintage modulars (and non-modulars) here and use modern modules only for things the vintage ones cant do.
yea ... but 5u does :)

Analog Prophet
Common Wiggler

Re: Roland system 100m lust

Post by Analog Prophet » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:57 am

Bought a system 100m from a friend a year ago after years of teasing to buy it. I wished for use it more and more but also aware of many things I buy will be used a few times then not that frequently used. But with the System 100m my wish came through and I use it frequently... and now moved up to pole position to the mixer console and DAW as I use it frequently and want it to be easy to reach.

I bought the Roland keyboard 181 with the system. Sometimes I use the keyboard but most of the time an analog sequencer (Doepfer Maq 16/3, normally with 1 row for the VCOs and two rows for the filters). The keyboard is not necessary as it can be controlled much better by my Moog Voyager with the VX-351 breakout box, but as it was sold with the Roland Keyboard it’s connected to that keyboard. When sync to clock I use the clock output from Arturia Beatstep Pro. Most of the time I use Lexicon PCM80 and/or Roland RE-201 to the System 100m.

So far I have not used it for any production (as my costumers are not electronic music guys) but heavily to just play around with. It’s on my list to use for my own (Analog Prophet) songs for the future when heading more electronic ambient sound wise.

So what can I say about it after a year: The sound is more than I hoped for and I discover new ways to use it about every time I use it. It’s my music playground Happy Place.

[img] Purchased a System 100m of a friend a year ago. I wished for use it more and more but also aware of many things I bought will be used a few times then not that frequently used. But with the System 100m my wish came through and I use it frequently.

I bought the Roland keyboard 181 with the system. Sometimes I use the keyboard but most of the time an analog sequencer (Doepfer Maq 16/3, normally with 1 row for the VCOs and two rows for the filters). The keyboard is not necessary as it can be controlled much better by my Moog Voyager with the VX-351 breakout box, but as it was sold with the Roland Keyboard it’s connected to that keyboard. When sync to clock I use the clock output from Arturia Beatstep Pro. I use the clock out Most of the time I use Lexicon PCM80 and/or Roland RE-201 to the System 100m.

So far I have not used it for any production (as my costumers are not electronic music guys) but heavily to just play around. It’s on my list to use for my own (Analog Prophet) songs for the future when heading more electronic ambient sound wise.

So what can I say after a year: The sound is more than I hoped for and I discover new ways to use it about every time I use it. It’s my music playground Happy Place and favourite corner of the studio.

EDIT: Just replied to an announcement of a Doepfer MCV24 that I’ll pick up tomorrow to incorporate to the System 100m when using the DAW. Hope it will expand the possibilities as I havd in mind it can do.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The best beat of any music
is the beat of your own heart

http://www.analogprophet.com

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”