Modular Analog - new manufacturer in India

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

ranix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ranix » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:15 pm

ModularAnalog wrote:Good Morning Muff Wigglers,

I am Dhvanit and am the Co founder and CEO at ModularAnalog.

Wow, thanks for stopping by!

I will be cheering for you from the USA, and I'll check out some of your modules for the next case I build for sure.

ModularAnalog
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ModularAnalog » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:05 pm

Vortico wrote:Considering you'll be the first to bring Eurorack to potentially 1/6th of the world population, what inspired you to get into the field in the first place? Just curious. The website looks like it's coming along nicely.
We wanted to do something and innovative and challenging in music,something that was not attempted in our country before.
We love synths but they are very expensive and more so difficult to get in India.
We have a huge growing population of new age electronic musicians, and like many others in the west are bored of making music on DAW's and not so challenging workflow.
So We started building synths for ourselves and one thing led to another. To really wake India up to this new art form and culture is what we think is the future of Indian electronic music.
And it is really satisfying to be able to make your country proud, you guys comments and support has really meant a lot.

Eric the Red
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Eric the Red » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:58 am

You guys have some very interesting and innovative looking modules. Once you get started, are you going to be selling worldwide or just staying within India?

Also, will you be offering DIY options?

Looking forward to hearing more from you guys early next year. Keep up the good work,

-Eric
Abandon all hope, ye who wiggle.

Eric the Red
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Eric the Red » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:59 am

Great looking modules by the way.

[Image[/img]
Abandon all hope, ye who wiggle.

ModularAnalog
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ModularAnalog » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:46 am

Eric the Red wrote:You guys have some very interesting and innovative looking modules. Once you get started, are you going to be selling worldwide or just staying within India?

Also, will you be offering DIY options?

Looking forward to hearing more from you guys early next year. Keep up the good work,

-Eric
Hey, thanks for the support.
Yes, We are going Eurorack compatible early 2018 :hyper: and are planning to sell the modules out of UK at the moment.
As of now no DIY options.
Cheers !!

Chopper
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Chopper » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:32 am

namshub wrote:
tesserack wrote:
ModularAnalog wrote:

We are open to suggestions and questions and constructive feedback that will help us in anyway. Feel free to drop us an email at dhvanit@modularanalog.com.

Cheers!

I think it would be cool if the panel art on your modules reflected the art of your culture. When I think about art from your country I think about rich colors interwoven with complex tapestries of detail.

One of the reasons I enjoy synthesizers and effects has to do knobs, sliders,buttons, meters, and lights, lots of multi-colored Lights. :mygod:
Yeah some cool pix of Kali, Shiva etc on yer panels would be exotic
Although i am a big fan of that esthetic (which i unashamly use a lot in my day job), some of the system pictures on their site seem a bit more colourful, plus let's not forget that mutable instruments kind of went down that road already, so no point for originality then... but yes, if you need to stand out, you have to stand out! :tu:

Keeping a close eye on that company and i wish them the best of luck.

ModularAnalog
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ModularAnalog » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:29 am

Hey, It would be awesome if someone could share some insight in the eurorack rail department.

I have been searching muff and have been reading a lot of posts regarding which rail design is better, came across the Gie-Tec, schroff and Z-rails as the main ones used. But haven't yet been able to understand which is the most widely used rail.
Would be great if any of you guys could help me out understanding the differences.

Thanks
Cheers !!

felixer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by felixer » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:50 pm

ModularAnalog wrote:Hey, It would be awesome if someone could share some insight in the eurorack rail department.

I have been searching muff and have been reading a lot of posts regarding which rail design is better, came across the Gie-Tec, schroff and Z-rails as the main ones used. But haven't yet been able to understand which is the most widely used rail.
Would be great if any of you guys could help me out understanding the differences.

Thanks
Cheers !!
i use wooden rails. so wouldn't know about aluminium. don't see the point, really ...
don't need midi, don't need keys, just want knobs and cables (all together now ;-)

Riggar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Riggar » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:40 am

Wish you all @ ModularAnalog a great future! I wonder (&hope) if Indian electronic music will become a genre in its own right?

felixer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by felixer » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:07 pm

Riggar wrote:Wish you all @ ModularAnalog a great future! I wonder (&hope) if Indian electronic music will become a genre in its own right?
it already is. with some virtuoso haken continuum players 8-)
don't need midi, don't need keys, just want knobs and cables (all together now ;-)

seeasound
Common Wiggler

Post by seeasound » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:26 am

namshub wrote:
tesserack wrote:
ModularAnalog wrote:

We are open to suggestions and questions and constructive feedback that will help us in anyway. Feel free to drop us an email at dhvanit@modularanalog.com.

Cheers!

I think it would be cool if the panel art on your modules reflected the art of your culture. When I think about art from your country I think about rich colors interwoven with complex tapestries of detail.

One of the reasons I enjoy synthesizers and effects has to do knobs, sliders,buttons, meters, and lights, lots of multi-colored Lights. :mygod:
As an Indian...sorry....pls....no.

More india space research less goa trance aesthetics ok

Vortico
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Vortico » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:40 am

I kinda like the Alice in Wonderland appearance on one of the modules. But obviously you can't use exactly that picture, but maybe still use that style? Something like 1920's children's storybook illustrations? I don't know.

But above all---and I might be the only one to think this---I really like the appearance of the completely minimum modules with no printing on it. I think not having knob and jack labels would definitely turn off some people that actually want to try diving in to modular synthesis, but in some modules (like Make Noise) we don't have any idea what things do even with the printed text/design on the panel. If the knobs are positioned intuitively, I could definitely use them just as well as a well-labeled module.

Lineofcontrol
Common Wiggler

Post by Lineofcontrol » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:10 am

Indo Canadian wiggler here... Great to have you guys here.

Please have labels and text on the modules or you will turn off a large number of users.

And i would love to see a module featuring artwork of Nsinghma and Prhalad! You know where he is tearing apart Hrinayukshyupa! Call it the... Destroyer of All Worlds. Or perhaps you can do some kinds of mosaic type art work or geometric prints like the ceilings of Ajanta Elora etc... Lots of wonderful Indian art.

witchbutter
Wiggling with Experience

Post by witchbutter » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:08 pm

I love the light pins, and I'd really like to see that 8x4 gate sequencer in action.

Morphology
Common Wiggler

Post by Morphology » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:50 pm

seeasound wrote:More india space research less goa trance aesthetics ok
Yup, that works for me!
There are only 10 different types of people: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

namshub
Common Wiggler

Post by namshub » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:26 pm

seeasound wrote:
namshub wrote:
tesserack wrote:
ModularAnalog wrote:

hahahaha... I did'nt even think of that... yes avoid trance aesthetics at all costs... plenty of great Indian art tho:)

felixer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by felixer » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:43 pm

Lineofcontrol wrote: Please have labels and text on the modules or you will turn off a large number of users.
:tu: also i think the picture of kali would not be such a great idea ...

RGB
Common Wiggler

Post by RGB » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:37 pm

ModularAnalog wrote:Good Morning Muff Wigglers,

I am Dhvanit and am the Co founder and CEO at ModularAnalog. It is really nice to see everyone’s interest and feedback about our Synths. Thank you all.
I know our modular synths seem peculiar and slightly unorthodox but that has been our goal for very specific reasons. We do have Eurorack compatible modules coming out early 2018 and a lot of our modules are still under wraps. Rest be assured we have strong design and modular synth knowledge which has not surfaced yet in our initial modules releasing in India.
Apologies for not being part of this discussion earlier on but I am going to try my best to address each of your comments.
Rack Units
Our prototypes were designed in 5U format but in our documentation we mention 9inches for simplification. Our market ready products roll out in September and will be in 5U and 3U sizes. Both modules will support the Eurorack rail mounting mechanism.
For our international products that release in the first quarter of 2018 we will be adhering to the Eurorack format to the T.
There was a question on our VCA… we use the LM13700 op-amp. Our VCAs have gone through a few iterations during the prototyping phase.
Yes, we use 3.5 mono pin patch cables.
These are really difficult to come by in India and the imported ones are quite expensive. We get ours custom made from a local manufacturer.
The LED patch cords are used specifically for gates and triggers and are made in house by ModularAnalog.
Comment on “Budget Minded” … our response would be exactly! @Robscorch is right, Breaking into the Indian market is not easy. We have a steep uphill climb on first educating the market and then making modular synths affordable. Once the Modular Synth market in India is more mature and proven… the more expensive alternatives from us or other vendors will make sense.
“Each module tells a story” … we loved this comment and were glad that @Ranix was able to see the modules in the light they were created. Thanks @Ranix! :tu:
Smoke and Mirrors! No, none of that. It may seem like that because of the lack of information and technical specifications on the website. We are working hard to get more information and clarity out there. We struggled with budgets and the website development early on. We now have engaged a professional agency to manage our content and marketing media. Changes will be seen before September.
Thanks Dave, Yes, we are a brick-and-mortar company and are based out of Mumbai in India. ModularAnalog is one of the group companies under a larger umbrella. Selling Modular Synth in India is going to be difficult task in itself for various reasons…. It’s important that being India’s first modular Synth company we have a strong presence to give our customers confidence on product delivery and after sales service.
SoundCloud will be refreshed soon! Sorry for the clipping samples :ripbanana:
@Vortico is spot on! All our prototypes are hand made, drilled in house and slightly off measure.

Once again, we regret we couldn’t have the videos and information up on the site. We were rushed due to a soft launch at one of India’s biggest trade shows for Pro Audio Equipmenthttp://www.palmexpo.in But we are working on this and like we said, a much better and detailed website should be out before our products role out to market in September.

Cheers!

This is very exciting! I am looking forward to tracking the progress and evolution of ModularAnalog via the muffwiggler community. Please keep us informed as your releases happen.

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:27 am

I've been to india twice, once was on my honeymoon, the other for a friend's wedding the following year. Been everywhere, from western jaisalmer to eastern kolka to deli to kovalam. Hoping to go again soon. Wishing you guys the best and am rooting for you!
Last edited by dooj88 on Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ranix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ranix » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:32 pm

Looks like they've got their website up now and have some things for sale, but no mention of the more interesting modules we saw from the original announcement (like that cool looking VCO)

Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dcramer » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:38 pm

Very cool, great to see this taking shape :tu:
Lovin the studio setup you guys have! That black scooter!
Congrats! :party:

recoveryeffects
Common Wiggler

Post by recoveryeffects » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:09 pm

Crazy. Yeah, looks like 5u with 3.5mm jacks!

luchog
Crazy Pony

Post by luchog » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:04 am

ModularAnalog wrote: We have a huge growing population of new age electronic musicians, and like many others in the west are bored of making music on DAW's and not so challenging workflow.
So We started building synths for ourselves and one thing led to another. To really wake India up to this new art form and culture is what we think is the future of Indian electronic music. .
This certainly looks interesting. I'm particularly interested in the VCO / VCLFO module, is there any news on an expected release date for it?

ETA: Noticed that you don't appear to be shipping outside India at this time. Do you plan to release these internationally in the future?

motorhead412
Common Wiggler

Post by motorhead412 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:53 pm

seeasound wrote:
namshub wrote:
tesserack wrote:
ModularAnalog wrote:

Cheers!

Plus, Mutable modules already have an ostensibly "Indian" design influence. Not that he's Indian or anything, I'm assuming.

Bones
Learning to Wiggle

Dual Tambs

Post by Bones » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:47 pm

Looking good! I really like to hear the Dual Tambs tho. I would love a dedicated tambourine module in my setup, can never get enough of the tamb! Can you upload some recordings of that?

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”