What do you do with a complex envelope generator?

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re:

Post by electricanada » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:22 pm

wechard wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:08 am
pugix wrote:It's cool thinking of ways to patch a complex envelope. But what's being controlled? VCA, LPG, and VCF are natural candidates. How about oscillator pitch?
I especially like continuous changes in speed for things like LFOs or the clock rate of a sequence. Anything from really subtle animation through to really radical lurching. Complex envelopes are a great way to make these kinds of changes a bit complicated and interesting, but with repeatability.
Complex envelope through S&H—clocked by whatever’s clocking your percussion—then into the clock divider clock input, clock divider out into mixer. This gives you temporally dynamic sequencing that’s still in sync with your percussion.
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

obmuc
Learning to Wiggle

Re: What do you do with a complex envelope generator?

Post by obmuc » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:26 am

In Euro Land the Rossum Control Forge comes to mind.

Check out the factory patches in the manual for some ideas about things that can be done with an eight-stage complex envelope: [url]http://www.rossum-electro.com/fqlzron/w ... 2616-2.pdf[/url]

D_Robot
Common Wiggler

Re: What do you do with a complex envelope generator?

Post by D_Robot » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:13 pm

obmuc wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:26 am
In Euro Land the Rossum Control Forge comes to mind.

Check out the factory patches in the manual for some ideas about things that can be done with an eight-stage complex envelope: http://www.rossum-electro.com/fqlzron/w ... 2616-2.pdf
...then contemplate what you could do with a 4000 stage envelope lasting 39,996,000 seconds (462 days) and that's before you play around with the timescale. The CF takes complex envelopes somewhere else altogether :hihi:

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re:

Post by dooj88 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:21 pm

pugix wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:23 pm
It's cool thinking of ways to patch a complex envelope. But what's being controlled? VCA, LPG, and VCF are natural candidates. How about oscillator pitch?

Putting the envelope through a quantizer should produce a sequence of pitch values. And if the quantizer can generate a trigger on each output change, that could be used to trigger a normal EG. Then by CV of the parameters of the complex envelope, patterns could be generated that would different in significant ways from an ordinary step sequencer.

I'm giving myself ideas! :guinness:
great topic richard. are there quantizers that have send triggers on note changes? i've not come across any.. would using a derivator to detect voltage changes make it possible?

i only have AD EGs, but they all have voltage control over the stages, so patching in a sequence or chaotic bipolar lfo does wonders for a boring decay stage.

speaking of the morphing terrarium, the e352 has a 1 shot sample mode. i recently discovered setting to lfo rate, the output can be a nice triggerable complex envelope.. i've not used a zadar, but seems on par with that level of functionality.

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Re:

Post by electricanada » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:11 pm

dooj88 wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:21 pm

great topic richard. are there quantizers that have send triggers on note changes? i've not come across any..
A-156
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”