Money money money... and modular synths

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

AW198
Pickle Tickler

Post by AW198 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:03 am

Eric the Red wrote:AW198 - I don’t know how it works in the UK, but here in the States you could donate Plasma and earn about 2-400 per month just by sitting in a chair...
That sounds legitimately tempting - I've half heartedly considered giving blood just to be a good citizen, I didn't realise you actually get paid a bit for it. Maybe I'll look into it a bit more, sounds like a win-win situation.

Parnelli
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Parnelli » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:21 am

Giving Plasma is how US college kids have financed their weed for generations!

Well at least some of them anyway... :hihi:

DruLeeParsec
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DruLeeParsec » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:42 am

abelovesfun wrote:I built mine by building three and selling two. I have four racks of various formats and it's paid for itself.
I like that idea a lot.

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:31 pm

AW198 wrote:
Eric the Red wrote:AW198 - I don’t know how it works in the UK, but here in the States you could donate Plasma and earn about 2-400 per month just by sitting in a chair...
That sounds legitimately tempting - I've half heartedly considered giving blood just to be a good citizen, I didn't realise you actually get paid a bit for it. Maybe I'll look into it a bit more, sounds like a win-win situation.
You don't get paid for giving blood in the UK, but being a good citizen is a good enough reason. :tu:
Is it finished?
Latest Tune:
Sounds: SoundCloud , Freesound
Racks: Big Case, Top Row, Funboat, Tinicase

aokjoey0
Common Wiggler

Post by aokjoey0 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:02 pm

Just a warning: don't get married when you get that job... A direct conduit will be installed connecting your wallet to your spouse...

ask me how I know... :bang:

Luckily, I am long gone from that insanity.
And now I can afford synth insanity.
:mrgreen:
Joe Nastasi aka Apogee Kick!
Musician
Ultralight and Light Sport Aviator
My YouTube Channel
http://soundcloud.com/apogee-kick/unrea ... s-con-brio

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:10 pm

You can also donate sperm for cash. It's a little more work than just sitting in a chair, but you were going to do it anyway, right?

MarcelP
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by MarcelP » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:57 pm

electricanada wrote:
You can also donate sperm for cash. It's a little more work than just sitting in a chair, but you were going to do it anyway, right?
Or you could simply retain your dignity and get a "proper" job.

Rob_C
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Money money money... and modular synths

Post by Rob_C » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:58 pm

AW198 wrote:My heart yearns for modules, with all the experimentation, patch possibilities and enjoyable evenings they'd bring. But my wallet tells me to fuck off.
It took me about 6 months to build a tiny Eurorack setup...
Are you into DIY? Michael Barton has many interesting Eurorack modules and you can purchase the PCB and a plain (unlabeled) panel from him. Most panels about under ten dollars. You have to source the components yourself and build it. If you are willing to try soldering, this is about as inexpensive as it gets. You can download the build document and BOM from his site prior to purchasing anything to see if it meets your needs. Link-> Barton Musical Circuits

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:42 pm

MarcelP wrote:
OP appears to be in school. That's his job.

AW198
Pickle Tickler

Post by AW198 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:24 pm

cptnal wrote:
AW198 wrote:
You don't get paid for giving blood in the UK, but being a good citizen is a good enough reason. :tu:
Ah damn, just as I was thinking I could squeeze some money out of my only nice deed :hihi:

AW198
Pickle Tickler

Post by AW198 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:26 pm

Rob_C wrote:
AW198 wrote:My heart yearns for modules, with all the experimentation, patch possibilities and enjoyable evenings they'd bring. But my wallet tells me to fuck off.
It took me about 6 months to build a tiny Eurorack setup...
Are you into DIY? Michael Barton has many interesting Eurorack modules and you can purchase the PCB and a plain (unlabeled) panel from him. Most panels about under ten dollars. You have to source the components yourself and build it. If you are willing to try soldering, this is about as inexpensive as it gets. You can download the build document and BOM from his site prior to purchasing anything to see if it meets your needs. Link-> Barton Musical Circuits
I've tried my hand at DIY but it's not something I've pursued much because I don't trust myself enough and like the piece of mind of pre-built modules. Thanks for the link though, I'll have a look! Maybe it's time to do some more.

AW198
Pickle Tickler

Post by AW198 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:27 pm

electricanada wrote:
MarcelP wrote:
Just out of school (on a gap year), but still young enough that I'll do anything for money :hihi: :miley:

BendingBus
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BendingBus » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:43 pm

AW198 wrote:It's part of the student life that I'm always desperate for spare cash I know, and I've come to the conclusion that a proper full case of modules is years away once I get a steady job.
Finance (time value of money); less spent now, is more spent later.

Example: Larry holds back his modular obsession and saves $50K during his 20s, at 30 he invests that lump and averages 8% return, by 40 he has [$50K x (1.08 ^10)] = $108K, even if he saved nothing during his 30s. Then in the following year, that lump at 8% return would throw off $8.6K gains (which would be a pretty nice cabinet o' stuff). In theory Larry could go modular-crazy and acquire one case per year during his 40s, making the industry $86K richer (although his principle would be shrinking with inflation, and that wouldn't be a very responsible thing to do).

Stocks and modular, two things that go great together! :banana:

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:23 am

^ I wouldn't count on that! I did however triple my Lockheed investment and bought a Serge panel from STS. Now that same stock is worth $20,000 more! My re-investment has done just fine, but damn.

I do suggest the OP save for future investment and retirement, but that's no fun.

I also suggest that the OP get a Mother 32 and a Makenoise NoCoast to satisfy his 'walls' of east and west. I would avoid modular altogether for a number of years and enjoy the vast riches of what else is available (Novation BS2, Arturia Micro/Mini/Mini, etc., Roland, Korg analogs, etc.).
FS: Pedals and Euro modules, Delta Labs, dotcom Q128 for 37.00
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=233636&p=3287718&h ... e#p3287718

mattdennewitz
Common Wiggler

Post by mattdennewitz » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:51 pm

I cashed out some Bitcoin when it first started to surge and funneled that into this new hobby. Funny how fast it moves from hobby to lifestyle.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:12 pm

AW198 wrote:
electricanada wrote:
MarcelP wrote:
Just out of school (on a gap year), but still young enough that I'll do anything for money :hihi: :miley:
Brings a new meaning to being handy with DIY anyway. :nana:

Gyroscope
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Gyroscope » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:28 pm

AW198 wrote:You guys with the huge cases full of modules - how long did it take you to acquire all that? Similarly for you guys with single 12U Eurorack suitcases etc...

My heart yearns for modules, with all the experimentation, patch possibilities and enjoyable evenings they'd bring. But my wallet tells me to fuck off.
It took me about 6 months to build a tiny Eurorack setup, and although I love modular way more than any hardwired synth (except perhaps the pre-2000s legends) it takes so bloody long to save up to afford them. It's part of the student life that I'm always desperate for spare cash I know, and I've come to the conclusion that a proper full case of modules is years away once I get a steady job. Yet I'm still determined to build my setup rather than go hardwired again because I love it, and it's soul crushing sometimes to see pictures of people's huge modular rigs of various formats.

Can some of you make me feel better by telling me you had to sell half of your internal organs over 20 years to afford this life please? :waah:
I don't know if you drink but if you do stop! Since I did I save about 800 bucks a month easily (and I only drank on weekends :eek:). Between the cost of alcohol, taxis to get to bars and back home, late night restaurants, drugs that you only take once you're drunk,etc. it all adds up quickly and you end up having not a lot of money for much else...

pinkandbluenoise
Common Wiggler

Post by pinkandbluenoise » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:26 pm

Only just starting on my eurorack skiff which I absolutely refuse to expand beyond 3u 104hp but[/b] don't forget that we're living in the twilight years of humanity and capitalism and that it's likely that no one who's young right now will be able to retire, own property, etc. Truly, expect social mobility to disappear completely alongside the brief anachronism of post-war industrial capitalism the soon-to-burst tech bubble.

HOWEVER, in the period where you're alive right now, you can, with a little bit of saving and scrounging, afford to build a small modular synthesizer on minimum wage (truly) and have perhaps countless hours of enjoyment while the world crumbles around you. Can you imagine such a thing 40 years ago?

I also noticed you feel like you own more gear than you're "entitled to." You're not entitled to anything, but you are the only person who's truly responsible for yourself and your happiness. Give yourself a break and trust that you're able to make reasonable choices about how you spend your money.
Last edited by pinkandbluenoise on Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
sludgeflesh

Auxiliaryoctopus
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Auxiliaryoctopus » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:31 am

An outsider's perspective: I have lurked around this forum for years. I have built dozens (scores?) of systems on modular grid. I have watched hours of youtube demonstrations. But, the reality is: I will never own a real eurorack system. I don't have the money. I teach at an inner-city, low-income charter school in a rustbelt town. I have a wife and two children, one of them with special needs. I can't justify the expense to even get off the ground in eurorack. Nevertheless, I love everything about modular analogue synthesizers. It is relaxing for me to think about them.

Last year, I was finally able to buy an 0-Coast! I can't tell you how much joy and comfort that little box has brought me. I hope more companies consider this more accessible form factor. I will never be able to afford even a modest eurorack system, but the little bit I do have is very important to me.
Last edited by Auxiliaryoctopus on Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

southphillysynths
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by southphillysynths » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:33 am

I just finished College (bachelors in Accounting) So once I find a job I will have what I call 'real life money'

I work at a guitar store and have been for about 8 years. 85% of my income over that time has gone to modular. Bought my first modular in senior year of high school (~1700) and have been building a euro system since then.

It's really tough to be that careful and save that much money to put toward hobbies but I was able to get aid through almost all of my school. I live at home and don't pay rent or room and board. I never had a car and ride my bike to save on public transportation. I have 0 bills. I never eat out. I don't drink or smoke. I take my girlfriend out and buy her things as much as she will allow.

Its a difficult thing but this will hopefully be a lifetime pursuit. I have recently slowed down considerably in my buying. As others have stated learn to build/ repair things. A lot of the more expensive things I've got were broken and I bought them super cheap. Purchased used patch cables, ALL of the modules in my current system are used or built from kits.

It is absolutely doable its just that the most important thing is patients, patients, patients. Lately I have taken on more work doing live sound and have always been doing pedal repairs here and there. This gives me less time and more money. I have bought some pretty hefty priced modules lately and have had no time to use them. I know I will get around to using them eventually and I can always swap them out for something else if I don't end up getting along with them.

It is also important to find value and find what you like. I have a lot of doepfer modules which are a great value when bought used. Some of the time 65% of retail if your patient to snap up deals. My favorite filter in euro is $90 used, I have two of them. I have a lot of modules that are V1 and do just as good of a job as some modules that have come out to replace old designs.

I have more than enough gear right now to make the sounds I like. My rig might double or triple in size but I don't think I will have double or triple the satisfaction.

you've got a long road ahead and a lot of fun to be had, take your time hope this helps!! :hug:
Dcramer wrote:"Not all who wiggle are lost" :boat:
WHO IS BOZO TEXINO?!?!

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:05 pm

Auxiliaryoctopus wrote:An outsider's perspective: I have lurked around this forum for years. I have built dozens (scores?) of systems on modular grid. I have watched hours of youtube demonstrations. But, the reality is: I will never own a real eurorack system. I don't have the money. I teach at an inner-city, low-income charter school in a rustbelt town. I have a wife and two children, one of them with special needs. I can't justify the expense to even get off the ground in eurorack. Nevertheless, I love everything about modular analogue synthesizers. It is relaxing for me to think about them.

Last year, I was finally able to buy an 0-Coast! I can't tell you how much joy and comfort that little box has brought me. I hope more companies consider this more accessible form factor. I will never be able to afford even a modest eurorack system, but the little bit I do have is very important to me.
You know about Automatonism and vcvrack, right?

ikkyu666
Common Wiggler

Post by ikkyu666 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:32 pm

I don't believe you have to have a monster rig, or even 104hp, to enjoy eurorack and make new interesting things. Have you checked out the 0-coast? Its definitely a semi-modular set-up that you could save up for and have your modular itch satisfied while you're a student (and beyond!). I haven't got one, but even with two 104hp skiffs I still might get one. Check out mylarmelodies video on it: - its awesome!

And remember - eurorack is not going anywhere! So just get what you can and only when you can afford it. Your brain is giving you that rush of anticipation but its only chemicals tricking you. Life is still as good or hard as it is post-eurorack!

Auxiliaryoctopus
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Auxiliaryoctopus » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:44 pm

electricanada wrote: You know about Automatonism and vcvrack, right?
Yep, I have messed with VCV rack some!

loydb
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by loydb » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:04 am

Dual income, no kids.

Strongly recommend.

jkjelec
Ektachrome plane...I see the flies

Post by jkjelec » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:05 am

My story is about realizing that you can't have it all...so I sold tons of mono and poly synths I had gathered over the years. I did not buy any expensive guitar stuff. I did not update my PC based recording system for years and years. My car is as old as it can be and still be driveable. It just became clear that what I really wanted was a wall of modular, and that any other sorts of things would just have to wait! :banana:

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”