Unknown synth on eBay

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

Astrolabe23
Wiggling with Experience

Unknown synth on eBay

Post by Astrolabe23 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:14 am

Anyone seen something like this before? If I hadn't just paid bills, I would buy this just to check it out!

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:11 am

Wow! Now I know that everything will be alright in the world.

:mygod:

Besides the one photo of the rat’s nest, it actually looks to be rather well designed. I love the speakers/case-lid and the screw fixtures.

TheDegenerateElite
Veteran Wiggler

Post by TheDegenerateElite » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:46 am

Holy crap.

Imagine figuring out how that all works!

And yesterday I was complaining about all the wiring in an old String n' Things I'm fixing.

ranix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ranix » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:48 am

it looks very very well designed! This wasn't done by someone who didn't know what he was doing

flts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flts » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:19 am

Holy f... someone buy this before I look at it long enough that I just can't refuse pressing Buy It Now anymore.
Warm thank you to everyone for the past 10 years. I'm not active here anymore for personal reasons, so for those I've had the pleasure of dealing with please send an e-mail instead of PM if you wish to get in touch.

unrecordings
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by unrecordings » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:38 am

Wow - the 'keys' are the copper wafers from an old transformer

Well somebody bought it - I wonder who
It's a good job I was asleep during this thread

flts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flts » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:40 am

unrecordings wrote:Well somebody bought it - I wonder who
Phew, thank you whoever you are - you just saved me some money.
Warm thank you to everyone for the past 10 years. I'm not active here anymore for personal reasons, so for those I've had the pleasure of dealing with please send an e-mail instead of PM if you wish to get in touch.

pelican
Veteran Wiggler

Post by pelican » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:45 am

Definitely cool
WTB: Yamaha dx-11 manual

Eric the Red
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Eric the Red » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:33 am

Damn!! I hope whoever bought it is on this forum, would love to know more about this monster.
Abandon all hope, ye who wiggle.

cretaceousear
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cretaceousear » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:40 am

Wow - should be worth more than that for steampunk aesthetic if nothing else. Someone put a lot of love into that.
..the vessel was heavier because “dead sheep do not have the same weight as the live ones”

luchog
Crazy Pony

Post by luchog » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:53 am

Damn, I wish I had seen this yesterday, I would have jumped on it. Very cool looking, and i'm ridiculously curious to hear how it sounds. Oh well, some things just have to remain a mystery.

epiphanius
Learning to Wiggle

Post by epiphanius » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:28 am

Looks like it's specifically designed for quad output - I heard Suzanne Cianni perform in quad recently, it changed my worldview a bit.

noddyspuncture
Veteran Wiggler

Post by noddyspuncture » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:51 pm

Could maybe do with some 'labelling' on the front panel though...!?

:eek:

Reese P. Dubin
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Reese P. Dubin » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:59 pm

somebody will notice this in the background of a raymond scott photo by the end of the month

amazing thing :ripbanana: :deadbanana:

Astrolabe23
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Astrolabe23 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:44 pm

When I found this on eBay around midnight last night, I decided that I did not need another project, so I posted it here. I thought I would share the pics because it looked super interesting and would be gone quickly at that price, never to be seen again. After making my post, I kept staring at the pictures thinking you really should get it. After an hour or so of mental contemplation, I submitted an offer that was not instantly accepted ( see note below). I figured I would just let it ride and the universe would decide if it was to be. A few hours passed and no response ... I went to bed. To my surprise, I woke up this morning finding my offer accepted and waiting for payment. I paid, and it's on it's way. Total price $251.91 including shipping. I feel comfortable with that investment even if it turns out to be worth nothing more than a conversation piece for the studio. I think it will look great on top of the piano. Hopefully, it can be brought to life and we will see what it can do. I'm sure I will need some help from the DIY community here. Feel free to speculate about it from the pictures so far. I really have no idea quite what to think about it yet. There are labels on some of the cards and It does appear to have a four speaker set up so maybe it's quadraphonic as someone mentioned. Im stoked and can't wait to see it in person. I will post some more pics when it arrives.

NOTE: A note of advice about eBay "make offer". When a seller chooses to use the make offer on their listing they have the option to set it up to automatically accept offers above a set price. If this is the case, when you submit an offer at or above their "secret" lowest price, it will be automatically accepted and the item is yours. If your offer is lower or they have not set it up to be automatic, you will have to wait for them to get the message and respond to your offer. (During which time someone else could buy it). Several times I have purchased an item for 15 or 20 percent lower with an automatically accepted offer, even though it was already a good deal and I would have paid the full asking price. Never hurts to submit an offer.

ranix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ranix » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:33 pm

See how much info you can squeeze out of the seller like where it came from geographically and how he got it! Maybe we can identify who made it or roughly what its original purpose was. This thing looks really hard core to me, I wouldn't be surprised if its maker turns out to be some synth or computing badass

Michael O.
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Michael O. » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:01 am

Is it certainly a synthesizer? The touchplate controller looking bit would lead me to believe so, but the number of transformers/inductors/chokes is very atypical, especially in a solid state design. It almost looks like some sort of quadrophonic mixer/panner, with power amps built in, and maybe ring modulation onboard. Very interested to see what it ends up being.

Unrecordings is right, the “touch controller” parts definitely look like repurposed transformer lams.

Skotchi
Common Wiggler

Post by Skotchi » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:06 am

Very curious about the power supply…
"Now that you’ve found another key,
what are you going to play?"

TheDegenerateElite
Veteran Wiggler

Post by TheDegenerateElite » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:29 am

Maybe it's a shock treatment device from an insane asylum!!!!

Now you have to post lots of photos and stuff in the dIY boards...especially if it shocks you.

a100user
All the gear, no idea!

Post by a100user » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:09 am

A thing of beauty. I will definitely keep an eye on this thread for updates. 10/10 for taking the plunge. As you said even if it never works it will be a fascinating talking point.
I'm looking for nothing at this moment in time

Zube
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Zube » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:17 am

Astrolabe23 wrote:When I found this on eBay around midnight last night, I decided that I did not need another project, so I posted it here. I thought I would share the pics because it looked super interesting and would be gone quickly at that price, never to be seen again. After making my post, I kept staring at the pictures thinking you really should get it. After an hour or so of mental contemplation, I submitted an offer that was not instantly accepted ( see note below). I figured I would just let it ride and the universe would decide if it was to be. A few hours passed and no response ... I went to bed. To my surprise, I woke up this morning finding my offer accepted and waiting for payment. I paid, and it's on it's way.
Congratulations! Thanks for sharing this auction. It certainly looks cool, old, and quad! I'll be keeping an eye on your restoration. Cheers!

unexpectedbowtie
Wiggling with Experience

Post by unexpectedbowtie » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:14 am

This looks awesome. Really glad a fellow wiggler got it. Following with interest!
9u rack, 6u rack, 3u rack -- http://noisepedals.com - for effects pedal demos with synths/drum machines. Music: http://bowtie.bandcamp.com Cassette Tape Label: http://cowtonguetaco.com

cretaceousear
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cretaceousear » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:03 am

Could it be a sort of meditation drone machine?
Looking forward to seeing and hearing progress!
..the vessel was heavier because “dead sheep do not have the same weight as the live ones”

jensenluxvid
Common Wiggler

Post by jensenluxvid » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:54 am

Great find. Would love to hear it if/when it works. Hard to even tell how old it is exactly, in terms of era, but it obviously was not made any time recently.

franman69
Veteran Wiggler

Post by franman69 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:40 pm

Following.. this is fascinating... Best of luck bringing it back to life!!

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”