Like in jazz, do we have music standards in modular?

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Parnelli
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Parnelli » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:06 pm

I've always thought of jazz as music without the traditional boundaries (read "rules") that bind so many other forms of music to their genre, and certainly in that respect modular fits the bill!

Fabong
Common Wiggler

Post by Fabong » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:20 pm

Clair De Lune
Avant Garde a clue

luchog
Crazy Pony

Re: I am not refering to manifacturing standards!!!!!

Post by luchog » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:58 pm

Never mind, kind of pointless.

snowday
Learning to Wiggle

Post by snowday » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:40 pm

[video][/video]

colb
Common Wiggler

Post by colb » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:20 am

Does the jazz idea of standards even make sense in the context of modular?

I thought the point of standards in jazz was to provide a harmonic framework for a group of musicians to improvise together.
If you know a good repertoire of standards, then when you play with other jazz musicians, there should be a reasonable number of these tunes that everyone shares knowledge of, and you can all get on with playing the changes - because everyone knows them.
It's not about having tunes that define the genre so everyone can assess each other, it's about certain tunes becoming popular with musicians because their harmonic structure is particularly attractive/challenging/flexible for improvising over.

Is it common for people to get together and improvise with modular synths in groups in a structurally coherent way where all the players have learned a library of pieces, and they all do the modular version of 'playing the changes'?

I'm a modular newbie, but I though mostly people just took a turn and played a solo set, or less commonly played with a partner or in a group where the set had been pre-planned and practiced.

The Grump
Veteran Wiggler

Post by The Grump » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:29 pm

East Coast Standard=VCO->VCF->VCA, LFO mod VCF, EG mod VCO frequency: Greasiest Fart Noise ever splattered out of robotic fundament.

West Coast Standard=Complex Oscillator FM Drone-y Thing with at least one envelope of a MATHS/DUSG (clone?) set to loop to modulate timbre, probably through Clouds, and a S/H or Turing Machine/Wogglebug/Marbles/SOU through a Quantizer into the 1v/o input of said Complex Oscillator.

Those would be something akin to Jazz Standards, as with rare exception, we (synthesists) tend to pursue timbre, and explore that, rather than specific harmonic and melodic sequences.

That kind of my take on things, anyhow.

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:32 pm

Parnelli wrote:I've always thought of jazz as music without the traditional boundaries (read "rules") that bind so many other forms of music to their genre, and certainly in that respect modular fits the bill!
All genres have rules, otherwise they wouldn't be genres. If you break too many rules, it stops sounding like jazz.
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

snercle
Common Wiggler

Post by snercle » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:47 pm

I like this idea of having a room with several modular set ups and someone shouts out a standard and everyone instinctively knows how to patch it :yay:

The use as many filters as possible and then forget where the sound is coming from and have to trace every wire with my finger is my go-to

colb
Common Wiggler

Post by colb » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:57 pm

snercle wrote:I like this idea of having a room with several modular set ups and someone shouts out a standard and everyone instinctively knows how to patch it :yay:
I started to Imagine a setup with a central mini system supplying a clock and maybe some fundamental note cv (the changes!), with a few people all plugged into it, all playing together, taking turns at providing bass, percussion, drones etc. All linked by that shared structural CV.

DeanG
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DeanG » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:47 pm

Really?

"Hey what do you guys feel like playing?"

"How 'bout 'I'll Remember April'? "

"OK,"

"Sounds good, you count it"..

"Key?"

"Wait up guys,I don't really know that one."

Dubious looks all around.

"Huh? What the..."

"Shit, motherfucker doesn't know ' I'll Remember April' !"

"Can't hang."

"Come back when you've done your homework...damn man."

"But fellas, why don't we just try improvising freely, see what happens, huh? Or, or I brought a chart for a new tune, wanna check it out?"

"WHAT!!!" ...as instrument cases are closed and latched and the players walk out the door.

Yeah, I think it's a great idea, lets impose standard forms and expectations on modular synth music. It will really be fun to get in lock step together. Maybe we can even develop a tradition with rules that excludes those who arent hip to it.

I don't see the point.
I am my own source of uncertainty.

https://soundcloud.com/eanranros

fireclown
Ultra Wiggler

Post by fireclown » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:59 am

popcorn.
North American Modular/Boy Love Association

syncretism
Morbidly self-aware and liking it

Post by syncretism » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:06 am

fireclown wrote:popcorn.
I can't believe it took this long for someone to say it!

fireclown
Ultra Wiggler

Post by fireclown » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:21 pm

syncretism wrote:
fireclown wrote:popcorn.
I can't believe it took this long for someone to say it!
for the life of me, I cant think of another tune that really fits.
North American Modular/Boy Love Association

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”