Interested in a reprint of Allen Strange's Electronic Music?

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Allen Strange's Electronic Music... do you want a copy?

Print copy for under $100 USD plus shipping
22%
Print copy for under $50 USD plus shipping
57%
E-copy at a reasonable price
21%

Total votes: 658

Human Koala
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Interested in a reprint of Allen Strange's Electronic Music?

Post by Human Koala » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:33 am

i'm in :love: :love: :love:

beepnsleep
Common Wiggler

Post by beepnsleep » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:34 pm

wonderful news! I'm interested in a hard copy as well and second the motions for some margin space for notes etc!
Last edited by beepnsleep on Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kattefjaes
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:34 am

I can see that book being covered in post-its down the edges in the pages in my case. As long as the outer binding is sturdy and hard to fox and lies nice and flat, this will be a godsend. I never did find a cheap (old) copy.

rec.Koner
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rec.Koner » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:14 am

~$50 hard(soft?)cover copy and/or digital version make me interested

:tu:
wow.. we're sky high.. that shark we just jumped over is tiny.. we're so high right now (c) found on gearslutz

my page

leeski
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by leeski » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:35 am

I'm in :yay:
«:::A:::» «:::W:::» «:::E:::» «:::S:::» «:::O:::» «:::M:::» «:::E:::»

otnemem
Common Wiggler

Post by otnemem » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:36 pm

Thanks for the effort. I’m definitely interested!

panda
Learning to Wiggle

Post by panda » Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:53 am

~~~In Please----

SavageMessiah
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SavageMessiah » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:12 pm

A lay flay hardback would be ideal but I'm in either way!

GeoffC
Squeak Twitter Plonk

Post by GeoffC » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:51 pm

I'm in for a lay-flat version or a soft-cover I could take to the print shop and have spiral bound.

Thanks!

GeoffC

mattleaf
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mattleaf » Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:18 am

awesome to find this thread, count me in. i always find myself on the internet not being able to find this book. look forward to the kickstarter

j450nn014n
Wiggling with Experience

Post by j450nn014n » Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:00 pm

Update: we're just waiting on issues related to the cover art and getting an introduction written. Should be able to start the kickstarter in April, and it won't be a difficult thing to get funded, as we'll just probably need 50-100 people to get the run done. There will be as many options as we can do practically. Lay flat hard cover will be my personal choice, but soft, spiral, PDF and others will be available.

oh, and instead of adding "Me too" feel free to ensure you fill out the poll!
Autistic. I like making noises at my workplace. I usually end up breaking something.

Kattefjaes
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:47 pm

Meee to!!!one

Joking aside, thanks for the update- are you considering different versions, then? Pretty sure I'd not be the only one who'd be tempted to snag more than one of so, if the Kickstart addon facility can make that possible?

j450nn014n
Wiggling with Experience

Post by j450nn014n » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:07 pm

Kattefjaes wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:47 pm
Meee to!!!one

Joking aside, thanks for the update- are you considering different versions, then? Pretty sure I'd not be the only one who'd be tempted to snag more than one of so, if the Kickstart addon facility can make that possible?
If you mean form factors for versions, yes. My goal is at least PDF, soft and hard cover versions. I would prefer lay flat bindings. I'm not the copyright holder so I can suggest and advocate, but in the end it will be what we're given permission to do.
Autistic. I like making noises at my workplace. I usually end up breaking something.

Kattefjaes
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:48 am

j450nn014n wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:07 pm
If you mean form factors for versions, yes. My goal is at least PDF, soft and hard cover versions. I would prefer lay flat bindings. I'm not the copyright holder so I can suggest and advocate, but in the end it will be what we're given permission to do.
Perfect, fingers crossed. Thank you for taking the trouble to try and make this happen- £500 on ebay is a lot for a book, even a good one.

trentpmcd
Wiggling with Experience

Post by trentpmcd » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:13 am

j450nn014n wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:00 pm
Update: we're just waiting on issues related to the cover art and getting an introduction written. Should be able to start the kickstarter in April, and it won't be a difficult thing to get funded, as we'll just probably need 50-100 people to get the run done. There will be as many options as we can do practically. Lay flat hard cover will be my personal choice, but soft, spiral, PDF and others will be available.

Thanks for the update!

I did not do a "Me to!" post and I did do the poll, but as with Kattefjaes, I may do two - I said e-copy (pdf) in poll, but most likely would want a softcover/spiral bound as well...

herrjano
Learning to Wiggle

Post by herrjano » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:18 am

j450nn014n wrote:

I already voted for the book option, but I would also suggest offering book + ebook bundles as an option in the Kickstarter :tu:

Kattefjaes
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:20 am

herrjano wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:18 am
j450nn014n wrote:

I already voted for the book option, but I would also suggest offering book + ebook bundles as an option in the Kickstarter :tu:
I've seen kickstarters with optional addons you can pay for. You can have multiple funding tiers, with things like "all previous rewards plus..." too. Lots of ways to do it.

eboats
Common Wiggler

Post by eboats » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:57 am

This appears to be the longest saga in history to get a reprint of a book done. Props to those trying to make it happen, but this thread has been going on a long time and one wonders if this project will ever come to fruition.

hlprmnky
Common Wiggler

Post by hlprmnky » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:43 pm

eboats wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:57 am
This appears to be the longest saga in history to get a reprint of a book done. Props to those trying to make it happen, but this thread has been going on a long time and one wonders if this project will ever come to fruition.
I mean, j450nn014n just said that he was planning to open a Kickstarter to fund publication next month after one more round of approval from the copyright holders. I’m not sure the side-eye is warranted here at the end of the Edda? :guinness:

kcd06
Wiggling with Experience

Post by kcd06 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:42 pm

"This appears to be the longest saga in history to get a reprint of a book done."

From my own experiences, no. Not even remotely. The OP has found traction, and making forward progress, and for material that has been out of print for decades, and not merely years in the case of the work I tried to buy publication and ownership of, that he has had success this quickly is amazing and to be lauded.
The most powerful, dangerous, wonderful word in any language occurs when an engineer-type person says "Huh..."

timeforest
Common Wiggler

Post by timeforest » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:37 pm

eboats wrote:

clearly you have no idea how the publishing industry operates lol

Pelsea
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Pelsea » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:52 pm

timeforest wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:37 pm
eboats wrote:
clearly you have no idea how the publishing industry operates lol
I turned in the manuscript for my electroacoustics textbook in 2009, and it finally saw print in 2013. This included a 6 month pause so I could rewrite large sections because much of the software I had used for examples was no longer available or revised beyond recognition. A reprint is no better-- it has to be OCR'ed and proofread, and probably all of the graphics need to be redone from scratch or at least rescanned if the originals are still available.
Books and tutorials on modular synthesis at http://peterelsea.com
Patch responsibly.
pqe

CaneMan
Wiggling with Experience

Post by CaneMan » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:09 pm

My goodness. I'd forgotten I'd voted on this one. Patiently awaiting the Kickstarter.

j450nn014n
Wiggling with Experience

Post by j450nn014n » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:06 am

eboats wrote:
LOL. Compared to other publishing ventures I've been involved in this is happening at breakneck pace. Waiting for a new introduction to be written at the moment. Then after we have a final draft so we can arrange printing and shipping. THEN I can set up the kickstarter.

Of course the world is on hold at the moment, but after that.

j450nn014n
Wiggling with Experience

Post by j450nn014n » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:08 am

herrjano wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:18 am
j450nn014n wrote:

Good point. I'll make sure there are bundles.

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”