Interested in a reprint of Allen Strange's Electronic Music?

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

Allen Strange's Electronic Music... do you want a copy?

Print copy for under $100 USD plus shipping
22%
Print copy for under $50 USD plus shipping
57%
E-copy at a reasonable price
21%

Total votes: 643

Efudd
Common Wiggler

Re: Interested in a reprint of Allen Strange's Electronic Music?

Post by Efudd » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:56 am

Looking forward to this being available!

j450nn014n
Wiggling with Experience

Post by j450nn014n » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:04 pm

Efudd wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:56 am
We have the intro written. Waiting on cover art. And then I'm not sure what... aside to me writing a 2 paragraph preface, and some thank you page.
Autistic. I like making noises at my workplace. I usually end up breaking something.

silkynight
Wiggling with Experience

Post by silkynight » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:02 pm

Awesome!! Great work!!

joncharliefeathers
Common Wiggler

Post by joncharliefeathers » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:50 am

Some small insight into your achieving this aim would be a good preface. After all, the body of work itself needs no introduction.

revtor
Dialing it in..

Post by revtor » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:43 am

j450nn014n wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:04 pm
Efudd wrote:
We have the intro written. Waiting on cover art. And then I'm not sure what... aside to me writing a 2 paragraph preface, and some thank you page.
I know it’s kinda late but....
Keep the cover art like trippy maaan! Keep it period correct.
Robertbeattyart on Instagram for example.
Fellow North Jersey Synthaholic

tailwagger
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tailwagger » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:29 pm

I see that a second edition just sold for $192.50 on ebay today (June 13). :hmm:
On the Easel

Blairio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Blairio » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:12 am

joncharliefeathers wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:50 am
Some small insight into your achieving this aim would be a good preface. After all, the body of work itself needs no introduction.
I disagree. Strange's book may need no introduction to this audience, but prior to getting into modular synthesis around 10 years ago, I knew nothing about the man or his opus - and I reckon I am typical in that regard.

So perhaps an 'abstract' or brief overview could form a preface along with an account of the OP's considerable efforts to secure the reprint. The overview should help explain why this reprint is so important.

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:56 am

Blairio wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:12 am
I disagree. Strange's book may need no introduction to this audience, but prior to getting into modular synthesis around 10 years ago, I knew nothing about the man or his opus - and I reckon I am typical in that regard.

So perhaps an 'abstract' or brief overview could form a preface along with an account of the OP's considerable efforts to secure the reprint. The overview should help explain why this reprint is so important.
agree, and i think it's also important to frame the context of the times in which the endeavor was born - in the second golden age of synthesizers where consumers have an almost obscene amount of options to choose in stanadalone and modular formats - to make this visionary resource available again for people to explore their synths more deeply.

and it's especially beautiful that the journey was taken on by someone in the community, not some cash grab by a company looking to squeeze a profit out of a growing industry.

timeforest
Common Wiggler

Post by timeforest » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:13 am

insight into strange’s research/personal biography/larger academic and musical contexts for the book would be awesome

Blairio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Blairio » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:43 am

Perhaps one or two (or more) influential contemporary synthesists could be invited to summarise in their view the importance of Strange's book. That would tie the book and the time it was written in, to the present.

mylomod
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mylomod » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:46 am

Spiral bound please.

j450nn014n
Wiggling with Experience

Post by j450nn014n » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:13 pm

dooj88 wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:56 am
Blairio wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:12 am

agree, and i think it's also important to frame the context of the times in which the endeavor was born - in the second golden age of synthesizers where consumers have an almost obscene amount of options to choose in stanadalone and modular formats - to make this visionary resource available again for people to explore their synths more deeply.

and it's especially beautiful that the journey was taken on by someone in the community, not some cash grab by a company looking to squeeze a profit out of a growing industry.
Thanks. I took it on because I had no other way to pay back to everyone who has been helping me over the past two years, since I got back into synthesis (I got out of it in the mid-80s, idiotically selling everything to pay rent and food).
Autistic. I like making noises at my workplace. I usually end up breaking something.

j450nn014n
Wiggling with Experience

Post by j450nn014n » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:14 pm

revtor wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:43 am
j450nn014n wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:04 pm
Efudd wrote:
I know it’s kinda late but....
Keep the cover art like trippy maaan! Keep it period correct.
Robertbeattyart on Instagram for example.
I'm leaving that in the hands of the family to decide. I think his daughter is doing it. Still waiting on that, but due to COVID-19 we have to wait anyway.

Volcanog1
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Volcanog1 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:16 am

This is really exciting! Thanks for all the work.
Can’t wait to grab one copie.

atozeeinc
Learning to Wiggle

Post by atozeeinc » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:26 am

I would love a copy of this. I voted for a print copy under $100.
I do have an old 1st edition copy (signed by AS) but it is so beat up that I would like to retire it.

j450nn014n
Wiggling with Experience

Post by j450nn014n » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:57 pm

atozeeinc wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:26 am
I would love a copy of this. I voted for a print copy under $100.
I do have an old 1st edition copy (signed by AS) but it is so beat up that I would like to retire it.
Wonderful. We're looking at WELL under $100, even for a hard cover. Will be doing it via kickstarter, as soon as we get some more paperwork completed.

j450nn014n
Wiggling with Experience

UPDATE & Request for input... Re: Interested in a reprint of Allen Strange's Electronic Music?

Post by j450nn014n » Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:00 pm

We're compiling a list of people who might have known Allen Strange or who were significantly influenced by his work, and who might be known to the electronic music community, who we might ask for a short blurb for the project. If anyone wants to message me with suggestions, I'd appreciate it. Or reply here. We've got a pretty good list started, but I'm sure folks out here know more than I ever will on the topic. TIA.

EPTC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EPTC » Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:32 pm

Thought this might be interesting. Found a few reviews from the era of Strange's very wonderful book. Here's the most comprehensive, it's not exactly looking at the material in the right way but a great time capsule, particularly for how turbulent academic review of new ideas can appear to be.

Journal of Music Theory, Vol. 15, No. 1/2 (Spring - Winter, 1971)

I think hindsight shows the reviewer to be too academic in appreciation of the concepts. I love the strict review, though. Kind of fun.

I have two other reviews I found from that time, if interested as well.
Bandcamp | Website

This week's show is a history of Telephone Voting Machines of the 1980s:

Pelsea
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Pelsea » Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:52 pm

A bit of context-- Wells was at the time writing his own book (Wells and Vogel; The Technique of Electronic Music; Sterling Swift;1974) which came out in 1974. Of all of the EM books I have seen over the years, I would rate that one technical accuracy-- 10, inspiration-- 0. Allen's book of course pretty much maxes the inspiration score. And the second edition cleans up most of the nits Wells is picking at here. One thing scientifically trained writers often miss is that musicians have little need for and less interest in technical precision-- what they respond to is metaphors and practical examples that spark ideas beyond anything the author thinks up.

I'm not dissing Dr. Wells, I still keep both books to hand. All others went pretty much straight to the bin*. (A perk teachers used to have was a constant stream of potential textbooks...) One telling point, a hazard of teaching is that students constantly swipe borrow your books. I must have bought replacements for Allen's book four or five times, but I still have my first copy of Wells..

*Excluding Appleton, of course.
Books and tutorials on modular synthesis at http://peterelsea.com
Perfection is the enemy of the good.
pqe

j450nn014n
Wiggling with Experience

Post by j450nn014n » Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:36 pm

EPTC wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:32 pm
Thought this might be interesting. Found a few reviews from the era of Strange's very wonderful book. Here's the most comprehensive, it's not exactly looking at the material in the right way but a great time capsule, particularly for how turbulent academic review of new ideas can appear to be.

Journal of Music Theory, Vol. 15, No. 1/2 (Spring - Winter, 1971)

I think hindsight shows the reviewer to be too academic in appreciation of the concepts. I love the strict review, though. Kind of fun.

I have two other reviews I found from that time, if interested as well.
Wow. That is amazing. Thank you.

I'd love to see the other ones. Weird that they're in gif format.

Please post them here, or email them to me (jnolan@ryerson.ca). I'll ask Pat Strange if she wants them too, though perhaps she has all this stuff.

Thanks!

j450nn014n
Wiggling with Experience

Post by j450nn014n » Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:41 pm

Pelsea wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:52 pm
A bit of context-- Wells was at the time writing his own book (Wells and Vogel; The Technique of Electronic Music; Sterling Swift;1974) which came out in 1974. Of all of the EM books I have seen over the years, I would rate that one technical accuracy-- 10, inspiration-- 0. Allen's book of course pretty much maxes the inspiration score. And the second edition cleans up most of the nits Wells is picking at here. One thing scientifically trained writers often miss is that musicians have little need for and less interest in technical precision-- what they respond to is metaphors and practical examples that spark ideas beyond anything the author thinks up.

I'm not dissing Dr. Wells, I still keep both books to hand. All others went pretty much straight to the bin*. (A perk teachers used to have was a constant stream of potential textbooks...) One telling point, a hazard of teaching is that students constantly swipe borrow your books. I must have bought replacements for Allen's book four or five times, but I still have my first copy of Wells..

*Excluding Appleton, of course.
Thanks for that peter. I hear my profs' wisdom from the 80s in what you say. Luckily, none of my students will be stealing my books... er... I think they did.

EPTC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EPTC » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:53 am

j450nn014n wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:36 pm

I'd love to see the other ones. Weird that they're in gif format.

Please post them here, or email them to me (jnolan@ryerson.ca). I'll ask Pat Strange if she wants them too, though perhaps she has all this stuff.

Thanks!
Very welcome!, yeah I thought they were worth posting.

The gif format is likely from whatever data server rendered the preview. Here's the two others.

I think hindsight proves both of these assessments are harsh and under the category of #LOLCRITIC or #LOLACADEMIC, but very interesting time capsules, too:

Perspectives of New Music; Annandale-on-Hudson, N.Y., etc. Vol. 11, Iss. 2, (Spring 1973)

And this one on the revised volume, Computer Music Journal, Vol. 7, No. 4 (Winter, 1983), pp. 60-61

Bandcamp | Website

This week's show is a history of Telephone Voting Machines of the 1980s:

Pelsea
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Pelsea » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:19 pm

These articles are perfectly valid (as was the Wells), but the author's interests show through the words better than than Alan's. Dr. Howe was a product of Princeton and Milton Babbit, so his approach to synthesis is very much East coast. His own book, which came out shortly after this review, is concise and logical (it also has great photos), and was the first general introduction to the MUSIC (eventually to become Csound) programming language. But there was no call to dis Frank McCarty- Bert Bows, Balls, and Bells the Bass is a lot of fun.
John Strawn was just finishing his degree at CCRMA when he wrote this (He went on to become one of the builders of soundDriod at Lucasfilm), and frankly admits he was hoping for something more computery.
Writing books about the fast changing world of synthesis is a challenge, but writing reviews of them is even riskier.
Books and tutorials on modular synthesis at http://peterelsea.com
Perfection is the enemy of the good.
pqe

Woodmanns
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Woodmanns » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:04 am

If a kickstarter happens for this, I’d like to contribute. I really appreciate the effort you’re going through to make this happen.

j450nn014n
Wiggling with Experience

Post by j450nn014n » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:00 am

Woodmanns wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:04 am
If a kickstarter happens for this, I’d like to contribute. I really appreciate the effort you’re going through to make this happen.
Oh, it is definitely happening. It would be done now if it wasn't for COVID-19. Still working on the cover art, contract, scanning and a testimonials page. Can't scan until my university's library opens for staff (as they have the book and the scanner), but have to be sure that printing and distribution will be running fine as well. Otherwise we won't be able to give a concrete date of delivery (or anything even close). But Toronto's lightly touched by COVID-19, so we won't be as slow in safely reopening other places might. Will definitely let everyone know here first, for the early bird options, because if it wasn't for the advice and support of MW folks, this would not have happened.

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”