Interested in a reprint of Allen Strange's Electronic Music?

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Allen Strange's Electronic Music... do you want a copy?

Print copy for under $100 USD plus shipping
22%
Print copy for under $50 USD plus shipping
57%
E-copy at a reasonable price
21%

Total votes: 670

lusoman
Common Wiggler

Re: Interested in a reprint of Allen Strange's Electronic Music?

Post by lusoman » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:50 am

Hi All

Is there anything I can do to help? I'm guessing that with crazy things happening, everyone is getting randomized a bit. More than happy to take on a specific task (or tasks, assuming they are not too big). Really want to see this happen!
Call me old-fashioned, but I like a dump to be as memorable as it devastating.

adnauseam
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Re:

Post by adnauseam » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:42 pm

j450nn014n wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:17 pm
lud wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:28 am
Is it a really big book? Not sure why it would warrant a pricetag of over $50
I don't expect that it will be anything like that price. It would be if it was going to be a commercial reproduction though. When I started, I thought I'd have to pay a lot of royalties to McGraw-Hill, and they charge a fortune for anything. So I was just posting those figures to see if there was any interest. The family now holds the copyright, through the work of my team (more than me). And they will have final say on the price. But, aside from royalties and some left over funds that will be donated to community synth groups, this is a non-profit adventure, so the price will be/should be, much more reasonable. I've put a LOT of time into this, and I'm not getting a penny. Not even a free copy. And that for the reason that so many people on this forum and others have been so helpful teaching me about synths and electronics, I feel that I've gotten a free education myself. And putting this project together, I'm learning more and meeting more people.

COVID's still slowing things down, but we've just about finished all the 'celebrity' endorsements (including Dieter Doepfer, Tony Rolando, Tom Whitwell, Suzanne Ciani, Todd Barton, Peter Elsea, Serge Tcherepnin, Dave Smith). We're still dealing with some technical stuff with reprinting images, but I'm still hoping for the kickstarter to launch in October (dreaming).
Thank you so much! Really looking forward to this project seeing the light of day. Keep going.

Aside from the kickstarter is there any way people can throw a few bucks your way to help with the project?

atimbral
Common Wiggler

Post by atimbral » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:46 pm

adnauseam wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:42 pm
j450nn014n wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:17 pm
lud wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:28 am
Is it a really big book? Not sure why it would warrant a pricetag of over $50
I don't expect that it will be anything like that price. It would be if it was going to be a commercial reproduction though. When I started, I thought I'd have to pay a lot of royalties to McGraw-Hill, and they charge a fortune for anything. So I was just posting those figures to see if there was any interest. The family now holds the copyright, through the work of my team (more than me). And they will have final say on the price. But, aside from royalties and some left over funds that will be donated to community synth groups, this is a non-profit adventure, so the price will be/should be, much more reasonable. I've put a LOT of time into this, and I'm not getting a penny. Not even a free copy. And that for the reason that so many people on this forum and others have been so helpful teaching me about synths and electronics, I feel that I've gotten a free education myself. And putting this project together, I'm learning more and meeting more people.

COVID's still slowing things down, but we've just about finished all the 'celebrity' endorsements (including Dieter Doepfer, Tony Rolando, Tom Whitwell, Suzanne Ciani, Todd Barton, Peter Elsea, Serge Tcherepnin, Dave Smith). We're still dealing with some technical stuff with reprinting images, but I'm still hoping for the kickstarter to launch in October (dreaming).
Thank you so much! Really looking forward to this project seeing the light of day. Keep going.

Aside from the kickstarter is there any way people can throw a few bucks your way to help with the project?
Yeah man; you should at least get a free copy out of this for all your efforts!! :guinness:

j450nn014n
Wiggling with Experience

Post by j450nn014n » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:11 pm

adnauseam wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:42 pm

Thanks for the offer. Not necessary. There will be a donation button, but any funds that come in will be dedicated to work supporting children and youth projects to learn about sound through electronic tools. That will be when the kickstarter starts.
Autistic. I like making noises at my workplace. I usually end up breaking something.

j450nn014n
Wiggling with Experience

Post by j450nn014n » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:13 pm

atimbral wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:46 pm
Yeah man; you should at least get a free copy out of this for all your efforts!! :guinness:
[/quote]

Thanks! But I want the money to go to the family and projects with kids. And, I'm doing part of this as my day job as a salaried employee, so I'm getting well taken care of. AND this is my chance to give something back to all the folks who are teaching me so much through MW and related forums. If feel like I should be paying everyone else who shares their knowledge and advice.
Autistic. I like making noises at my workplace. I usually end up breaking something.

j450nn014n
Wiggling with Experience

October Update... Re: Interested in a reprint of Allen Strange's Electronic Music?

Post by j450nn014n » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:19 pm

Quick update. Everything's moving, just slowly. Dealing with legal issues, and preparing to get image and drawing and photo permissions, or retake photos of things in the old book that we can't get permission for. And we had trouble with the scanning, due to covid shutting down necessary resources. We've solved that. And it looks like the kickstarter video production has now been worked out. I think we're about a month behind where I thought we'd be, so that's not too bad. More soon! Thanks for your patience.

j450nn014n
Wiggling with Experience

Post by j450nn014n » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:22 pm

lusoman wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:50 am
Hi All

Is there anything I can do to help? I'm guessing that with crazy things happening, everyone is getting randomized a bit. More than happy to take on a specific task (or tasks, assuming they are not too big). Really want to see this happen!
Thanks for the offer! The big thing we'll need help with will be getting the word out when we have the kickstarter up and the video. There may be some small things, like tracking down the odd image or module or part information when we're reproducing the images and drawings in the book that we can't easily get reproduction permission. I'll be posting requests for help with that when we figure out which ones we need help with. We're muddling through that now. Cheers!

lusoman
Common Wiggler

Post by lusoman » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:28 pm

^^^This. Thanks.

Just LMK what needs doing. I am an experienced proof-reader, so I can do that if necessary.
Call me old-fashioned, but I like a dump to be as memorable as it devastating.

Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: October Update... Re: Interested in a reprint of Allen Strange's Electronic Music?

Post by Kattefjaes » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:06 pm

j450nn014n wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:19 pm
I think we're about a month behind where I thought we'd be, so that's not too bad. More soon! Thanks for your patience.
It has been a good few years since there was an available run of this book- I don't think we're going to be too horrified with a month or two slippage during a global pandemic. By anyone's standards, this feels like a surprisingly well-organised affair.

Of course I'm looking forward to a brand new copy of my own, I'm sure we all are- including you.

satanskates
1-Post Wiggler

Post by satanskates » Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:28 am

I made an account here just so I can say that I am absolutely in on a hardcover copy when the Kickstarter gets going. After a bit of research into textbooks on synthesis as an intermediate-level learner, I hit a bit of a wall until I was suggested this book. And then I saw that it's nearly $300 to get an original copy. Big oof. Needless to say, as a fairly new member of the semi-modular and modular community, I'm extremely excited to see all of the work being put into this. I'm more than happy to pay my share to make it happen, this thread gave me hope, lol.

Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:00 am

satanskates wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:28 am
I made an account here just so I can say that I am absolutely in on a hardcover copy when the Kickstarter gets going. After a bit of research into textbooks on synthesis as an intermediate-level learner, I hit a bit of a wall until I was suggested this book. And then I saw that it's nearly $300 to get an original copy. Big oof. Needless to say, as a fairly new member of the semi-modular and modular community, I'm extremely excited to see all of the work being put into this. I'm more than happy to pay my share to make it happen, this thread gave me hope, lol.
Obviously there are poorly-scanned copies floating around- but I think the pleasure in having a proper copy is undeniable for any sort of synth nerd.

Fairly sure that most people watching this thread will end up springing for a bound dead-tree copy as well as a PDF version. There's something pleasing about being excited for a book rather than a shiny gadget :)

(..and yes, any requests for help posted in this thread will be pounced on, I think that's a safe assumption. Such a cool project.)

jfloftin
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jfloftin » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:45 am

j450nn014n wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:19 pm
I've been talking with McGraw Hill Eduction who owns the copyright for Allen Strange's Electronic Music. I'm putting together a proposal to get permission to reprint the second edition in paper and/or PDF formats. I already have a book series with a publisher (Sense/Brill) who may be able to take care of production, and I'd like to gage interest in the MW community.

I may do a kickstarter or similar process, but it may not be necessary. And I'm looking at doing a facsimile edition for under $50 USD plus shipping. If you're interested, please respond to the poll.

Thanks.
Above is from initial post.
So what is the current status of the project? Inquiring minds want to know...

Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:48 am

jfloftin wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:45 am
Inquiring minds should consider scrolling upwards a few posts:

viewtopic.php?p=3371868#p3371868

jfloftin
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jfloftin » Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:09 pm

j450nn014n wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:19 pm
Quick update. Everything's moving, just slowly. Dealing with legal issues, and preparing to get image and drawing and photo permissions, or retake photos of things in the old book that we can't get permission for. And we had trouble with the scanning, due to covid shutting down necessary resources. We've solved that. And it looks like the kickstarter video production has now been worked out. I think we're about a month behind where I thought we'd be, so that's not too bad. More soon! Thanks for your patience.
Kattefjaes wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:48 am
jfloftin wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:45 am
Inquiring minds should consider scrolling upwards a few posts:

viewtopic.php?p=3371868#p3371868
Thanks for the link. I just was just being lazy...

Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:10 pm

jfloftin wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:09 pm
Thanks for the link. I just was just being lazy...
...and I was just being snarky, we're a fine pair. You're most welcome!

londonp1
1-Post Wiggler

Post by londonp1 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:52 am

hello. writing from UK. I would be highly interested too in buying a physical copy of the book. If there is something I can do for help, happy to discuss.
thanks a lot for setting up this project
Pietro

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”