Synton Fenix 4

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Reese P. Dubin
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Reese P. Dubin » Thu May 16, 2019 11:08 am

Had F1 for 10 years and F2 for 5 and you get very used to the patch bay separation.

there seems to be lots of good stuff in this but i wonder if it will add up? Only one regular VCO? what if i wanna do some plain old fashioned FM.
I wish I could custom a synton based system with my own serge type layouts.
I WISH

MechaSeb
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by MechaSeb » Thu May 16, 2019 3:33 pm

Iirc the F1 i played at my friend’s house was your old one Reese.
Beautifully sounding synth.
Last edited by MechaSeb on Fri May 17, 2019 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

knobs.
Wiggling with Experience

Post by knobs. » Thu May 16, 2019 4:23 pm

no banana. why. i wanted one of these.

Reese P. Dubin
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Reese P. Dubin » Fri May 17, 2019 7:19 pm

MechaSeb wrote:Iirc the F1 i played at my friend’s house was your old one Reese.
Beautifully sounding synth.
that one has gotten around!
absolutely the best thing ever to get started in all this mess with.
F2 is technically superior in every way, but F1 has some indescribable magic/mojo that serious synthi users always attribute to it.

qu.one
hypnotic and sanctified

Post by qu.one » Thu May 23, 2019 2:36 pm

extremely poor choice IMO for this to be the next iteration of a Fenix.

pelican
Veteran Wiggler

Post by pelican » Fri May 24, 2019 5:57 am

qu.one wrote:extremely poor choice IMO for this to be the next iteration of a Fenix.
And what do you think would be better?
WTB: Yamaha dx-11 manual

qu.one
hypnotic and sanctified

Post by qu.one » Fri May 24, 2019 1:32 pm

pelican wrote:[And what do you think would be better?
i'm not proposing something else is or should be better, but i am personally just not happy that this is real. the original fenix's were, and should remain be banana jacks. the layout is AWFUL. it seems like the hipster's remix rather than an evolution for it to still have the Fenix name.

banana jacks had a system based around color for function (input, output, cv or audio and pulses). now they seem to be grouped by function block which seems much more confusing. the fenix and fenix 2 were beautiful in their (complex) simplicity.

diophantine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by diophantine » Fri May 24, 2019 5:54 pm

I'll confess that I omitted my negative reaction to the interface (aside from lack of banana jacks) previously, since I thought it might have more to do with my partial colorblindness than anything. So it is interesting to see the reaction that others have.

I've sadly not used any Fenix, but the UI of the Fenix I seems quite solid. The II isn't great, IMO, but I think the grouping is pretty good, along with the labeling & generally "binary" jack colors within each module. With the IV, at least on paper, I feel totally lost in the sea of colors, shapes, etc. Maybe each top section should have a button that illuminates an LED in the corresponding bottom section so that you know where to look? :hihi:

CoreInside
Wiggling with Experience

Post by CoreInside » Mon May 27, 2019 3:11 pm

I think it will play well with the cirklon and breakout box, hope it doesn’t glitch.

Kind of wish it had two of the sequencer modules, it would make a world of difference, or perhaps they could sell a eurorack version of the sequencer. Or do a tasty big sequencer companion.2seqs would make it so much more fun.

In the videos i see the machine shaking when stijn plugs in the cables, like it’s not wide enough from front to back. The fenix 2 and 3 are sort of slanted which is better. I hope the case is robust.

The price is premium so im hoping for a great product here. Best of luck to priscilla, stijn, bert, and everyone who has been working on this.

sydilaxe
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sydilaxe » Tue May 28, 2019 9:49 pm

I had a Fenix I from the original run and sold it many years later. The ergonomics were great. I am very confused by the layout of the new Fenix, and the price point seems very high. The first generation of Fenix was focused on a balance between cost and functionality. Marc was developing it for live performance and that definitely was reflected in the module flow. Maybe things would be different if Marc was still involved, or maybe I am just speculating.

naos
Common Wiggler

Post by naos » Wed May 29, 2019 5:59 am

qu.one wrote:the layout is AWFUL. it seems like the hipster's remix rather than an evolution for it to still have the Fenix name.
It looks like the free VST version right now.
It could easily be improved simply by looking closer to the original : minimal black background, no white blocks, colors on every jack and knobs colors that actually make sense (why all yellow?)

elmerfudd
Common Wiggler

Post by elmerfudd » Wed May 29, 2019 10:33 am

I thought a while back something was posted by Graham Hinton that the EU was doing away with Banana jacks and synths couldn't get CE certification with them.
If that is the case, it would explain the 3.5 jacks. Certainly doesn't explain the aesthetic change....

diophantine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by diophantine » Wed May 29, 2019 5:39 pm

elmerfudd wrote:I thought a while back something was posted by Graham Hinton that the EU was doing away with Banana jacks and synths couldn't get CE certification with them.
If that is the case, it would explain the 3.5 jacks. Certainly doesn't explain the aesthetic change....
Doubtful that has anything to do with it, if true (not saying it is or isn't, just haven't read about it & not even sure if this would be CE certified).

More likely due to the fact that it is being manufactured and (at least partially) designed by TINRS, who make Eurorack gear.

SunSpots
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SunSpots » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:47 am

I'm really glad you all don't want this. It'll be way easier for me to get my hands on. 3.5 Jack's are perfect so I can integrate with euro. Straight up better than banana for that reason alone. So yes, it's ugly, and no, do not buy it. I could never get a f2 previously because I just wasn't fast enough. What a cool synth. I'm going to make some amazing sounds on it and it's going to be a welcome addition to euro space
SunSpots

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:01 pm

SunSpots wrote:I'm really glad you all don't want this....
Doh! I think this guy has figured out the strategy that the other commenters were using....

SunSpots
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SunSpots » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:17 pm

Dave Peck wrote:
SunSpots wrote:I'm really glad you all don't want this....
Doh! I think this guy has figured out the strategy that the other commenters were using....
Are you saying people are working up negativity to turn people away so they can get one of the few new fenix's created? Last time there were only 25 of the sequencers made and 75 of the main synth!

... Yeah this new fenix is ugly. I hate it. You should too. It's bad, right guys?
SunSpots

SunSpots
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SunSpots » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:23 pm

Oh and to add to the conversation a quick quote from TINRS website " Our first batch of 25 is likely to be done before the end of 2019 and we intend to produce 100 Fenixi in total. "

So This is looking like a 2020 purchase for most of us anyways unless you all get off my damn list! :bop: :youkids:

oh well. at least i'm in line and less than 100. I'll just have to make sure nothing tragic happens to me between now and end of 2020...
SunSpots

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:12 pm

The waiting list now exceeds 100 people and many more are likely to sign up when the Fenix starts to near completion, I reckon. So, saleswise, it seems to be a success!

I have great respect for the engineering skills of TINRS so I’m sure it’ll be solid. They also seem to have great respect for the Fenix legacy, which I’m sure some of you think is really important (I, however, don’t care about that at all :)). The visual style of TINRS products isn’t for everyone and I don’t think it’s pretty or timeless at all but I do like it anyway; it’s fun and colourful. :nana:
Remorseless modular beat; a bit discordant but melodic too. 🦊🦂

Reese P. Dubin
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Reese P. Dubin » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:35 pm

Im sure it will be fun and sound good but as an old loyalist it sort of feels like when the Velvet Underground was just Doug Yule

empirix
Common Wiggler

Post by empirix » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:01 am

lisa wrote:The waiting list now exceeds 100 people and many more are likely to sign up when the Fenix starts to near completion, I reckon. So, saleswise, it seems to be a success!

I have great respect for the engineering skills of TINRS so I’m sure it’ll be solid. They also seem to have great respect for the Fenix legacy, which I’m sure some of you think is really important (I, however, don’t care about that at all :)). The visual style of TINRS products isn’t for everyone and I don’t think it’s pretty or timeless at all but I do like it anyway; it’s fun and colourful. :nana:
as always that list will grow smaller when it comes time for the buyer to sctually hand over 5k :hihi: Personally i would much prefer a fenix 2 than this new one, plus the 2 sounds beautiful, interesting to see how this new one compares

moog55
Wiggling with Experience

Post by moog55 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:55 am

so did TINRS simply license the "fenix" name and completely develop their own take on it? it seems like Bert and Felix basically have nothing to do with it. why would they do this? i guess i don't understand the working agreement at all. not sure how i feel about the "Wobbler" module being included in the design too.

that said, i am on the list as well and am actually looking forward to receiving it. i'm also hoping that there might be an ambitious person out there that makes an alternative black metal panel/case for it to replace the butt ugly one. then add some nice fenix I style black knobs..

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:05 pm

moog55 wrote:so did TINRS simply license the "fenix" name and completely develop their own take on it? it seems like Bert and Felix basically have nothing to do with it. why would they do this? i guess i don't understand the working agreement at all. not sure how i feel about the "Wobbler" module being included in the design too.
yeah, it's weird, also seems more like a collection of modules than the II, especially the oscillators, seems odd to only have one of each, I feel it needs at least two VCOs.
Still, I'm sure it will be great.

GryphonP3
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Synton Fenix 4

Post by GryphonP3 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:54 am

Wow, this is my first time seeing the panel. That design is truly heinous ... Why not keep it black and classy on a boutique piece like this @ 3x the pricetag of the original? :hmm:
My cat can eat a whole watermelon ...

Blue Meanie
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Blue Meanie » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:34 pm

This looks interesting for those wanting a Fenix II.

https://www.matrixsynth.com/2020/01/new ... sizer.html

xonetacular
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by xonetacular » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:10 pm

Blue Meanie wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:34 pm
This looks interesting for those wanting a Fenix II.

https://www.matrixsynth.com/2020/01/new ... sizer.html
oh fuck, and diy too... sold.

need more info. anything?

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”