Volca Modular - I got one (review / compare with Easel).

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Groundloop
Common Wiggler

Post by Groundloop » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:21 pm

fac wrote:I don't need one at all, but it'll be fun to have in the office.
Pretty much why I'm thinking of picking one up. I've been drifting towards the West Coast for a while now, and my job sometimes provides a lot of downtime where I'm still required to be there.

Branko
Common Wiggler

Post by Branko » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:17 pm

Someone already made MIDI IN mod kits. Sold out atm unfortunately but there is a waiting list. Good spot to keep an eye out though.

https://www.tindie.com/products/sensai7 ... di-in-mod/

secretkillerofnames
Veteran Wiggler

Post by secretkillerofnames » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:03 am

kroffe wrote:Realized today that I can patch an external audio signal in through the CV in jack on the Volca Modular. Its reverb sound great on DR-110 drums! :)
Can I confirm that an external audio signal can come in through the CV in jack? Seems like a bad idea?! :despair:

Groundloop
Common Wiggler

Post by Groundloop » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:49 pm

I picked up a Volca Modular a few days ago, and it is a fun little box, albeit with some quirks and limitations, such as the Cutoff knobs on the LPG's seeming more like on/off switches with a really long throw. I don't have any LPG's in my Eurorack system, so I'm not sure if that's semi-typical. Also, the patch points are even more tiny than I expected. I've actually managed to stick the cables into the space between the faceplate and the patch point surround, and I have decent eyesight, though I do like a subdued light level. The reverb is ... interesting. So interesting in fact I've ordered cheap (Donner) reverb and delay pedals to use with the VM. So far though I'm pretty pleased with the purchase.

Darkside
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Darkside » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:28 pm

Oh yeah, It's one of the most annoying things about this machine to stick those pins between the patchpoints and try to understand, why there's no connection going on. Smallness of the patchpoints and cables is a good reason not to go live with the volca modular. I have stated elsewhere, that Erica synths with their Pico stuff is a huge dinosaur next to this, but still we mustn't forget about the price/functionality ratio. Heck, I recently bought the Mutable Instruments Plaits, which in itself is no way a bad thing, but it costs more than this little westcoast inspired tiny box of fun.

jimmie
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jimmie » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:57 am

I can't setup sync input/output unit on the global settings (1-5, other params are ok). pressing key 6 doesn't lit the key. Is it only mine?

Monovibes
1-Post Wiggler

Strange CV tracking Volca Modular

Post by Monovibes » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:39 am

Hi!

I am trying to get Volca Modular to respond to CV/gate input from my Arturia Keystep, and via a cable with two 3.5 mm mono to one 3.5 mm stereo connection I basically get it to work, but the intonation is totally off; an octave on the Keystep plays back like an octave plus a minor third, so the tracking doesn't seem to work? I've tried different scale selections on the Volca but to no avail, it responds in the same (wrong) way to incoming CV.

Has anyone managed to get the Volca to respond correctly to incoming CV, via Keystep or another controller like the BeatStep or QuNexus? Arturia and Keith McMillen support couldn't assist me in this, but thought the problem was how the Volca handles incoming CV. I saw the video on youtube with a guy connecting Keystep to Volca Modular, but it doesn't help me in this tracking issue...

Thanks for your help!

Kind regards from Sweden

mckenic
pew!pew!pew!kthnxbye!

Post by mckenic » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:36 pm

I know this is an older thread but -

I managed to pick up one used in Guitar Center when I was in Jacksonville for $145. Couldnt resist really.

First real play since I got home - its not great or anything and I need to find a way of slewing the higher notes the Woggle produces but I was after a bassy percussive thing...

Looking forward to adding the VMs distinctive sound to some Werkstatt and BlippooBox audio.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DeanG
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DeanG » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:43 pm

monovibes , run the cv to input B of the attenuater utility. Then take a+b out and connect to the pitch input of source. Play octaves on kbd and adjust the attenuator knob until your octave is tuned. Then pitch will track. You may need to transpose though as C may not be in tune...I haven't checked that.

It shouldn't require this calibration as far as I know the conversion to .5v/octave (I think?) is supposed to be done at the CV input, but this is a work around anyway.

Good luck!
I am my own source of uncertainty.

https://soundcloud.com/eanranros

DeanG
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DeanG » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:58 pm

It is about a major third low, so your E will sound like C.
I am my own source of uncertainty.

https://soundcloud.com/eanranros

gkillmaster
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Volca Modular - I got one (review / compare with Easel).

Post by gkillmaster » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:43 am

Was thinking of getting Volca Drums but really wanted good randomizing and unpredictability. So now, I'm thinking of the VM and wondering if I could coax some good beats out of it as well. I love the sound of the Buchla in general in terms of rhythmic bleeps and such but love the crisp resonating sound of the Volca Drums. Thanks for the post. It has me thinking in a whole new direction now. Have been on the fence about getting an 0-Coast so may getting the VM would best a good solution for both worlds so to speak.

Phil999
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Volca Modular - I got one (review / compare with Easel).

Post by Phil999 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:30 pm

there is a good tutorial series and a book from Tony Hogan. I've watched through all 9 videos. There are a couple of interesting details I probably wouldn't have found myself. Hogan definitely spent more time with the synth, and I'm grateful to see his findings.

zaphod betamax
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Strange CV tracking Volca Modular

Post by zaphod betamax » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:56 pm

A)Get the newest 1.08 Firmware
B)Setup according to the CV Tune PDF.

I tested mine with a Vermona 14 as CV/Gate keybed and the VM works great.

Monovibes wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:39 am
Hi!

I am trying to get Volca Modular to respond to CV/gate input from my Arturia Keystep, and via a cable with two 3.5 mm mono to one 3.5 mm stereo connection I basically get it to work, but the intonation is totally off; an octave on the Keystep plays back like an octave plus a minor third, so the tracking doesn't seem to work? I've tried different scale selections on the Volca but to no avail, it responds in the same (wrong) way to incoming CV.

Has anyone managed to get the Volca to respond correctly to incoming CV, via Keystep or another controller like the BeatStep or QuNexus? Arturia and Keith McMillen support couldn't assist me in this, but thought the problem was how the Volca handles incoming CV. I saw the video on youtube with a guy connecting Keystep to Volca Modular, but it doesn't help me in this tracking issue...

Thanks for your help!

Kind regards from Sweden

zaphod betamax
Wiggling with Experience

Re:

Post by zaphod betamax » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:21 am

Works great!
Now I have one.
You need the OS1.8 though.

zaphod betamax wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:22 am
Any way to test the CV pitch tracking of the Volca Modular for me
when played with an external CV keyboard?

Copy/ Paste from manual

CV–IN jack
This jack allows you to connect two external control voltage
sources to the volca modular. The left channel (tip) of the input is
clipped to +/-5V and scaled down to +/-3.3V, whereas the right
channel (ring) of the input expects a 1V/octave signal (0–+6V) and
converts it to the volca modular’s internal pitch offset voltage control
signal. Connecting a 3.5mm mono patch cable to this jack will result in
the same signal being applied to the CV and Pitch Offset inputs.

Thanks

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”