Volca Modular - I got one (review / compare with Easel).

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

DeanG
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DeanG » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:23 am

For those who have the FM, can I get sine waves out of that? Could I, for instance, make a patch using 2 sines, simply fm'ing ? Or similar. I am missing sine waves...don't care if digital or not. :cry:
I am my own source of uncertainty.

https://soundcloud.com/eanranros

DeanG
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DeanG » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:46 am

I am not an fm guy, but I guess what I am asking is will volca fm allow a patch with 1 carrier sine and one modulator sine? As well as the potential complex stuff I would like to simulate a two osc analog fm.

Sorry this is off topic, and probably not appropriate here.

naos
Common Wiggler

Post by naos » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:57 pm

DeanG wrote:For those who have the FM, can I get sine waves out of that? Could I, for instance, make a patch using 2 sines, simply fm'ing ? Or similar. I am missing sine waves...don't care if digital or not. :cry:
I think the VFM (and its model the DX7) only uses sine waves as oscillators, so yeah. Just deactivate 4 of the 6 operators and you can tweak with just 2. Aside of the attack/decay/lfo knobs on the facade it's gonna be more about programming (edit button) than tweaking though.

DeanG
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DeanG » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:47 pm

cool, thanks. I have one coming so I will give it a go.

floatingChalice
Learning to Wiggle

Post by floatingChalice » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:04 pm

I got one of these a few days ago and have been having fun experimenting with it... but almost immediately I started thinking that I need some way to record patches for later, which is why I was happy to find someone has already put together these handy patch sheets:
https://i.redd.it/kyz15rko6ce21.jpg

pmboos
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pmboos » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:14 pm

floatingChalice wrote:I got one of these a few days ago and have been having fun experimenting with it... but almost immediately I started thinking that I need some way to record patches for later, which is why I was happy to find someone has already put together these handy patch sheets:
https://i.redd.it/kyz15rko6ce21.jpg
That's nice!

I've been trying to do something similar for the SoftPop (got inspired by Plankton Electronics site for Ants!). Still need to work on it a bit...

To answer @DeanG's question - given in yeth way the VolvaFM (and the DX7) work, you choose a sine wave to be in a chain of carriers or mods, I think if you chose all 6 sines to be carriers and exactly the same AND then chose to make the mix of 5 of them to be worth zero, you coudl then get a pure sine wave output. I think that is the way it would work...
---
“What actions can be taken to create a joyful, inspiring, and productive work environment?"

kroffe
Learning to Wiggle

Post by kroffe » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:15 pm

A pity that the LPGs does not respond at all like vactrol-based LPGs like the Buchla 292 where you can excite it just by sending it a short click...but I guess that's not what to expect for this price.

dthorn
Common Wiggler

Post by dthorn » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:42 am

Does anyone else experience an effect where the metal panel feels like it's live when you touch it, when it's running from a mains adapter but not connected to grounded equipment? At first I thought mine was doing it because I was using an off brand adapter to power it, but the official Korg adapter I just tried does it too and it's starting to do my head in. Same thing happens on the other two Volcas I just picked up from the post office as well.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:40 pm

I've only been powering mine from batteries so far... just killed a second set of batteries and decided this is a foolish way to work.

I found a Reddit thread that mentions a cable that powers Volcas via USB and I'm hoping that will do the trick.
If FM overkill is wrong, I don't want to be right. ★ starthief.bandcamp.comstarthief.netModularGrid

weinglas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by weinglas » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:50 pm

starthief wrote:I've only been powering mine from batteries so far... just killed a second set of batteries and decided this is a foolish way to work.

I found a Reddit thread that mentions a cable that powers Volcas via USB and I'm hoping that will do the trick.
Or just get some Eneloops. They run longer than batteries and you can charge them.
Album with Kozepz:"FRNDS"
"All Tubes"
"Game Over!"
mirarimusic wrote:... This fucking blows away Beyonces release today as well!!!!
dan_p wrote: I'll still be listening to this one in years to come. best thing I've heard for ages
Videos

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:46 pm

I've got a bunch of rechargeable batteries of various brands, though my charger only does 4 at a time. I'd rather not mess with frequently swapping them out, charging them, and having the Volca fainting in the middle of a session.
If FM overkill is wrong, I don't want to be right. ★ starthief.bandcamp.comstarthief.netModularGrid

Branko
Common Wiggler

Post by Branko » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:10 pm

I've gone through a pack of 24 batteries very quickly. I need to get an adapter. Curse them for not making it a standard plug!

snercle
Common Wiggler

Post by snercle » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:00 pm

dthorn wrote:Does anyone else experience an effect where the metal panel feels like it's live when you touch it, when it's running from a mains adapter but not connected to grounded equipment? At first I thought mine was doing it because I was using an off brand adapter to power it, but the official Korg adapter I just tried does it too and it's starting to do my head in. Same thing happens on the other two Volcas I just picked up from the post office as well.
Yep I get that, same thing as some macbooks do. Makes me want to only use batteries :sadbanana: Metal panel with no ground is always a bit weird

kinkujin
Common Wiggler

the fun worn off yet?

Post by kinkujin » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:34 pm

You guys still burning batteries and enjoying the Volca?

Darkside
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Darkside » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:32 pm

So here is the point, where things like those funky splitter power adapters or in my case the Volca Mix can be of good help. Yep, that last option has it's freaknesses, sutch as those highly clamed low/high cut filters, which instead do something different and as there's no center dent, this whole filter/eq/whatever thing is having some influence on the sound all the time, but is it really only a bad thing? I look at it just as a special, though somewhat strange character of that tiny mixer for volca devices, but at least I can chain multiple of them into it and also have everything powered and blasting out'a single place and not having to crack my brains trying to find where to jack those little bastardz. Of course there could be a better solution in a shape of some bigger overall mixer, but it's about to come somewhere in the future.

dthorn
Common Wiggler

Post by dthorn » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:55 pm

I wish the Mix had more than one stereo channel, so I could use both my Sample and my (Volca) Modular in stereo. The Modular's reverb sounds crap in mono.

kinkujin
Common Wiggler

Post by kinkujin » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:55 pm

Somewhere, wish I could recall now, I saw a 3rd party mixer. Looked great but ‘twas expensive. But, seems I’m sticking with Volcas so maybe not too expensive.

kinkujin
Common Wiggler

Vixen Mixer

Post by kinkujin » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:05 pm

Darkside
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Darkside » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:45 pm

Staying with volca mix, the aux-in is also stereo. So, if not using it with an external fx processor, it can just take another stereo volca, boutique or what ever else.

DeanG
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DeanG » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:34 pm

I like the volca mix for it's functionality, but I am returning mine because it seems to degrade the sound quality of my Volca Modular, which I think has an incredible sound. Maybe I am missing something, but I think I will just use a cheap passive mixer to balance stuff.

kinkujin
Common Wiggler

Vixen

Post by kinkujin » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:05 pm

I looked at the Vixen mixer again jumped on it. Hope I don’t have to wait too long ...
Last edited by kinkujin on Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:14 am

For power, this thing does the job:

Volca Modular doesn't draw much current, and I just have this plugged into an 8-port powered USB hub with a lot of other stuff.

DeanG
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DeanG » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:07 am

The Vixen mixer looks really great. For me it is kind of overkill though, and now I am considering just staying with the Volca Mix. I am putting together a 2 volca modular setup, plus microgranny, and possibly a Volca FM..the Volca Mix seems to be the most reasonable option. I got a b stock unit for $127.00 usd, can't argue with the price. I just don't understand why there doesn't seem to be a bypass for the tone controls, compressor etc.

kinkujin
Common Wiggler

Post by kinkujin » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:19 am

DeanG wrote:The Vixen mixer looks really great. For me it is kind of overkill though, and now I am considering just staying with the Volca Mix. I am putting together a 2 volca modular setup, plus microgranny, and possibly a Volca FM..the Volca Mix seems to be the most reasonable option. I got a b stock unit for $127.00 usd, can't argue with the price. I just don't understand why there doesn't seem to be a bypass for the tone controls, compressor etc.
I wonder if anyone has ripped a Mix apart to see about patch options. Maybe someone can mod it to do what you want? Or you?

dthorn
Common Wiggler

Post by dthorn » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:48 am

Setting the dynamics knob to zero removes the compression entirely, as far as I can tell.

EDIT: Actually, no it doesn't. There's a constant faint background drone from the Volcas present in the audio output of the Mix that isn't audible through the audio outputs of the Volcas themselves. I think the compressor might have something to do with this.

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”