CV/Clock to Midi clock?

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

robotfunk
Veteran Wiggler

Post by robotfunk » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:58 am

rhythminmind wrote: *The Kaos Pad rounds the BPM to the nearest whole number so adjust the decks to a whole number BPM. The display may drift .1 either side of it but the midi clock should be generating a steady bpm.
That sounds a bit crap doesn't it? How the hell are you supposed to dial in a whole number BPM on an LFO?

kindredlost
5U skiff friendly

Post by kindredlost » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:44 am

robotfunk wrote:
rhythminmind wrote: *The Kaos Pad rounds the BPM to the nearest whole number so adjust the decks to a whole number BPM. The display may drift .1 either side of it but the midi clock should be generating a steady bpm.
That sounds a bit crap doesn't it? How the hell are you supposed to dial in a whole number BPM on an LFO?
What I was thinking too.

The drifting bit is pretty common and is the best I've ever done with the KP3. I made a video of using the Kaoss to loop samples from the modular a while back. As with this routine it is all dependent upon your millisecond timing skills. Sort of DJ stuff really, not automated at all.

-David
[video][/video]

rhythminmind
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rhythminmind » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:57 pm

robotfunk wrote:
The auto bpm constantly re-clocks I've found it work pretty well. Drastic tempo changes are an issue, buts that to be expected. I just tap it back in place.
"Any experiment of interest in life will be carried out at your own expense."

rhythminmind
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rhythminmind » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:46 pm

On recap it rounds to the nearest 10th (000.1) I haven't found it to be a problem at all.

aethersprite
Wiggling with Expedience

Post by aethersprite » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:40 pm

An inexpensive option is touchprone's MIDI to Analog clock box. It works fine with small beat divisions but does get confused at high speed. Less than a hundred bucks, too.

rhythminmind
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rhythminmind » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:02 pm

Does it convert clock to midi?

robotfunk
Veteran Wiggler

Post by robotfunk » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:02 pm

MIDI to analog clock is easy. This thread is for the other way around.

aethersprite
Wiggling with Expedience

Post by aethersprite » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:28 pm

robotfunk wrote:MIDI to analog clock is easy. This thread is for the other way around.
Whoops!

tIB
Stainer!

Post by tIB » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:28 am

So hows the kp3 at following a modulated or random clock? Seems like it might be ideal for my needs...

baltimoroder
Wiggling with Experience

Post by baltimoroder » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:52 am

Just found this...

Audio pulses to midi clock using Arduino
http://www.cutpaste.org/?p=250
“Kraftwerk got off on the third floor and now George Clinton’s got Napalm Death in there with him. The elevator’s stalled between the pharmacy and the athletic wear store.”

baltimoroder
Wiggling with Experience

Post by baltimoroder » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:12 pm

Just got a Yamaha RX-5 off of CL for 100 bones. 24ppqn clock to MIDI Clock!

:banana: :nana: :bananaguitar: :nana: :banana: :bananaguitar:
:guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness:
:ripbanana: :ripbanana: :ripbanana: :ripbanana: :ripbanana:
“Kraftwerk got off on the third floor and now George Clinton’s got Napalm Death in there with him. The elevator’s stalled between the pharmacy and the athletic wear store.”

kbithecrowing
Common Wiggler

Post by kbithecrowing » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:42 pm

Necrobumpin'

I've been researching CV-> Midi a bit because I'm really interested in using an EHX Clockworks as a master clock but would also like to use some midi only gear as well, for example the Boss Slicer. I'm working from a hardware only standpoint so software options are a no go.

The KP3 seems like an awesome option because it can do so many other things as well, but the tempo drift kind of worries me especially if I'm trying to send out polyrhythms.

There's a topic over on the Moog forum that mentions using a Sonnus G2M as a midi to CV converter, but I'm not sure if it'd work correctly. I'd probably give this a shot if I can't find any other potential solutions. (moog post for reference: http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.ph ... 022#p98994)

Anyone have any advice/suggestions/input? Any replies are much appreciated :mrgreen:

ear ear
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ear ear » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:09 am

This looks promising. Don't have mine yet - not sure how many are out in the wild. Note the link to the Muff's thread at the bottom of the page.
He throws the ink first and works out what it is later. "I've got to turn that into parrots." - Ralph Steadman

darenager
Bad Mother Fucker

Post by darenager » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:50 am

Monotribe with midi converts analog clock to midi clock, with the advantage of being pretty tight, presumably the Volcas, new Electribes and possibly the Akai Rhythm Wolf will do this too.

kbithecrowing
Common Wiggler

Post by kbithecrowing » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:38 pm

darenager wrote:Monotribe with midi converts analog clock to midi clock, with the advantage of being pretty tight, presumably the Volcas, new Electribes and possibly the Akai Rhythm Wolf will do this too.
I totally forgot that the Volcas could be modded for Midi out. Looks like modding the Beats would be a perfect solution for me. Emailed a local duder for his services.

Thank you :hug:

kbithecrowing
Common Wiggler

Post by kbithecrowing » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:14 pm

Excuse the double post, but I figured this might be helpful to anyone looking. This works as a CV/Midi clock converter as well:

http://www.bastl-instruments.com/instru ... idi-bastl/

timothyjr
Common Wiggler

Post by timothyjr » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:24 pm

kbithecrowing wrote:Excuse the double post, but I figured this might be helpful to anyone looking. This works as a CV/Midi clock converter as well:

Has anyone tried using the Bastl Midi for CV to Midi conversion yet? Looks like a potentially interesting, simple solution.

Also if you were using to clock something like an Octatrack (which I know can power a Midi Solutions Quadra), would it provide adequate power to the Bastl?
Crooked Walking:
Instagram
YouTube

ModusOp
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ModusOp » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:45 am

kbithecrowing wrote:Excuse the double post, but I figured this might be helpful to anyone looking. This works as a CV/Midi clock converter as well:

Resurrecting this old thread to see if anyone's had any success hacking the software with this little fella. Does it work well? Care to share?

I wrote to Bastl a while ago and they said...

"Yes it is possible to hack, since its being programmed in Arduino software. It was already hacked to convert gameboy clock into midi clock, the triggers to midi clock would be possible too but someone needs to develop alternative software for it. We don't do hacking on request as you sure understand but we support hackers with technical advice and help."

So definitely sounds like it's possible... just beyond my skill set. :help:

Graham Hinton
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Graham Hinton » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:18 am

Developed for this thread

Customised on request.

Llouwelyn
Common Wiggler

Post by Llouwelyn » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:18 pm

HI graham,

Possible to explain how use division :6 :8 :12 :24 please?
Iam interested about Gearbox for sync my daw with modular, for moment i send pulse wave of my daw directly in to the clock division, it's working good but not really good when i put on play ... thanks.

Graham Hinton
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Graham Hinton » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:15 am

Llouwelyn wrote:Possible to explain how use division :6 :8 :12 :24 please?
Gearbox is driven by a x24 beat clock, whether an analogue tone, MIDI or DINSync.
Divide by 6 is a 1/16 note. Look the other side of the jacks.

Iam interested about Gearbox for sync my daw with modular, for moment i send pulse wave of my daw directly in to the clock division, it's working good but not really good when i put on play ... thanks.
You need more information from your DAW than just a tone clock. MIDI clocks tend to jitter, but you can still use MIDI Start, Stop and Continue and a MIDI Clock filter and then use a tone synchronised to the audio for the clock. Or, if you have enough I/O, you could use analogue Start/Stop. Gearbox generates a Reset pulse (the top R jack) on Start to synchronise external counters.

Phil999
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Phil999 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:51 am

Gearbox is absolutely brilliant in any situation.

What I found out recently is that the Korg SQ-1 can also translate analogue clock to MIDI clock (like those other Korg devices mentioned above, except that it has MIDI out by default). Nice to have this option in a small, portable device when I'm away from my studio.

Also the KP3+, and in software there's a M4L device called BeatSeeker. Another useful tool is the Yamaha MD-BT01 bluetooth MIDI plug. It's my connection to Ableton Link, via iPhone and some apps. I put it directly into the KP3+.

In recent sessions (with different drummers, or without any drums) I really started to get it with live syncing delay time, LFO's, and arpeggiators. It's really impressive.

Glitzerstrahl
Common Wiggler

Post by Glitzerstrahl » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:23 am

Phil999 wrote:Gearbox is absolutely brilliant in any situation.

What I found out recently is that the Korg SQ-1 can also translate analogue clock to MIDI clock (like those other Korg devices mentioned above, except that it has MIDI out by default). Nice to have this option in a small, portable device when I'm away from my studio.

Also the KP3+, and in software there's a M4L device called BeatSeeker. Another useful tool is the Yamaha MD-BT01 bluetooth MIDI plug. It's my connection to Ableton Link, via iPhone and some apps. I put it directly into the KP3+.

In recent sessions (with different drummers, or without any drums) I really started to get it with live syncing delay time, LFO's, and arpeggiators. It's really impressive.
Very old thread, sorry for resurrecting, but I'm looking for a way to sync a Roland MX-1 clock via midi from a Circadian Rhythms clock out. Would the SQ-1 be able to do that conversion?

xcc
Common Wiggler

Re:

Post by xcc » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:46 am

Glitzerstrahl wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:23 am
Phil999 wrote:Gearbox is absolutely brilliant in any situation.

Very old thread, sorry for resurrecting, but I'm looking for a way to sync a Roland MX-1 clock via midi from a Circadian Rhythms clock out. Would the SQ-1 be able to do that conversion?
Let me necro bump your necro bump. Looking for a similar solution to send clock from a Tete to a MIDI looper pedal.

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”