Re-release (and use) of Cwejman S1 MKii in 2019

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:03 am

I’ve had the chance to spend some time with an S1 recently. It is indeed extremely clinical and cold but in the most pleasant and fascinating way. I’m amazed at the tonal beauty the S1 can achieve. I’d buy one in a heartbeat. Worth every penny imo.
Weed only gives you the illusion that it’s enhancing your creativity.

LonzoB
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Re-release (and use) of Cwejman S1 MKii in 2019

Post by LonzoB » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:21 pm

I've had to wait for modules from SSF, Intellijel, Malekko, XOR, DivKid, Make Noise... I could go on... I recently emailed Maho and she had an SM-1 in stock and it was in my rack in 3 days. They have a list, a FB group, and pretty good communication about what's coming down the line in production. I'm pretty satisfied here. Even well known modular companies (except Behringer) are small operations - there isn't the market for mass production and never will be. There's quite a bit of whining going on here from one person that is pretty useless. Go with what inspires you. I don't see how complaining about something you can't change is helpful or entertaining.

gogogo
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Re-release (and use) of Cwejman S1 MKii in 2019

Post by gogogo » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:04 pm

I've never thought of myself as a "fan", butI have had an s1 for over 10 years... i originally bought it because i thought it would be a cheaper way to get something like and arp 2600.

now, i mostly use it as individual modules as an extension of a larger eurorack setup. i think it sounds amazing.... i think the "clinical" description is pretty arbitrary.... i have a plan b model 15 and a matriarch and the cwejman oscillators sound just as good to me.... different, but still "organic".... my intention when i bought the matriarch was that it would replace the s1 in the eurorack.... i don't have room for both, but i haven't been able to let go of the cwejman... it's too perfect for me, so am using the matriarch as more of a "keyboard instrument" in a different setup

also, when you break it down by module, its a pretty good value... 3 great sounding vco's, 2 unique and great sounding filters.... the only other filter in my setup is a borg and i mostly use that as a lpg, but i am perfectly satisfied with what the s1 provides and have not been seeking more filters for my system.... i love running each of the filters through a different mixer channel on my eurorack for rich and lively stereo effects..... the adsrs are great with individually modulatable stages....great ring modulator +an extra mixer, lfo and noise source for my system, etc...

i'm sure there is other gear that is cheaper and just as good in some ways (believe me, i've been tempted), but this is a special synth that continues to fascinate me after more than a decade of use.....

oh, and speaking of cwejman.... i also bought their d-lfo and res-4 early on... i've been tempted to sell them for more modern (and cheaper) modules, but they continue to fascinate me as well and i'm keeping them in spite of the cool stuff i'm missing out on

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”