When did you realize you were a modular aficionado?

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:43 pm

Never. I fell into a black hole time suck with absolutely no awareness. Next thing I know, I see sine waves everywhere in everything. I'm surrounded. No way out. Too late to turn back now.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

Pharmgrinder
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Pharmgrinder » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:38 pm

It was a progression that took about 2 years. At some point I developed a passion for algorithmic music, and realized modular is quite handy for this. Also I was trying to push away from music composition that was based in the standard verse chorus bit, and realized the modular workflow can lend to this quite well. Then just a couple months ago I wanted three filters in parallel and not finding many synths that can do this made me think about modular setups. Then I was watching a divkid video about how to use mutable instruments stages and I had a “that does it, I want a modular system” moment.

Meanwhile during this time I kept encountering modular music creations that were very inspiring and influential on me.

cornutt
Fig juggler

Post by cornutt » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:01 pm

I knew I was one decades before I actually got my hands on one. When I was a teenager in the '70s, my brother and I used to get catalogs from PAiA and daydream about owning a system. I read everything I could get my hands on about it, and got to where I had a pretty good idea how it all worked.

Fast forward to the '80s... I'm making enough money to put together a system -- but there are none to be had. At one point I inquired about a used Moog, something about the size of a 1P, that a friend of a friend in New York had. It was in bad shape; the guy wanted a cool $1000 for it, and he made no promises that any of it actually worked. It was tempting, but I took a pass.

I finally got a chance to start building a system when MOTM hit the market in the early 2000s. It's been all downhill since. :75:
Sequence 15 -- sequence15.blogspot.com

Easterner
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Easterner » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:28 pm

Too late...

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re:

Post by cackland » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:14 pm

lisa wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:02 am
When I’d read about every readily available module perhaps? :)
This is impressive. Wouldn't say I know about readily available module, unless I studied ModularGrid.. and even then, some available modules aren't listed on there.

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: When did you realize you were a modular aficionado?

Post by cackland » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:17 pm

The question I have... is what defines something or someone as an 'aficionado'?

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Re:

Post by lisa » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:23 pm

cackland wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:14 pm
lisa wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:02 am
When I’d read about every readily available module perhaps? :)
This is impressive. Wouldn't say I know about readily available module, unless I studied ModularGrid.. and even then, some available modules aren't listed on there.
Good point. But I had read every eurorack module posting on modulargrid at lest, at one point. I’m a bit manic about stuff now and then. :goo:
Remorseless modular beat; a bit discordant but melodic too. 🦊🦂

Noodle Twister
Common Wiggler

Post by Noodle Twister » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:41 pm

I'm not. I have lots to learn.

However when you wake up from a nap and you have a flash of insight for a patch and immediately set about patching it..
Also just gazing at the Modular and thinking of the possibilties..

These to me are special moments.

ckwjr
Common Wiggler

Post by ckwjr » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:19 pm

I just wanted to play the piano without kids complaining that they were trying to do homework, So I started researching keyboards, and I saw this thing called a "Rack Brute" - then I wanted to know what was supposed to go into the brute. What is this stuff? Why is it so expensive? What do people do with it? Why are they so excited about building instruments from ham radio parts? Are they all nuts? The answer to that last question is yes.

NeolithicElectrophones
Common Wiggler

Post by NeolithicElectrophones » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:29 pm

When I started dreaming of different patches with modules still in the DIY backlog. Then waking up and trying get them built in every bit of spare alone time, then adding to the backlog even though I know I shouldn't. Vicious cycle... :help:

gryfon1
The Chaos Acres Home for Electrons

Post by gryfon1 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:35 pm

I got my hands on the Moog modular at MSU in Spring of 1969 and Fall of 1970. I was hooked within minutes, it all just made sense.

brek01
Learning to Wiggle

Post by brek01 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:49 pm

Reading about the roland system 100m in E&MM adverts, and the interviews with various users of modulars. i was 15 and had a roland sh-09 and a yamaha cs15 and i always wanted to do the things you could only do with a modular setup, for example using an spare adsr to control the pitch during the attack phase of a sound, or creating a bowing sound using the same adsr. I have now realised this dream in last couple of years. It happened by chance.I bought a yamaha cs10 of ebay from a guy in edinburgh and went to collect it. i noticed this small box with some modularish looking things in it. I didn't ask about them because i knew where the answer would lead.

cycad73

Post by cycad73 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:25 pm

Never for me actually. I'm an aficionado of certain types of music, certain ways of composing. Modular is just one way to get there. about 10-15 years ago, seeing people whose music i really hated (such as deadmau5) getting into modular was a wake-up call, it made the technology itself just as arbitrary or generic as guitar. but this was an important insight, so I'm genuinely grateful to mr. Zimmerman. likewise, maybe if I had discovered guitarists like Robbie Basho or Nick Drake or Ben Chasny when I was younger, I would be a guitarist today. The point is always the result. At this point I stick with modular and synths more generally, it's just building off whatever skills I have.

luchog
Crazy Pony

Post by luchog » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:54 pm

I realized I was a modular aficionado when I realized that I could create the sort of music and "music" that I had in my head, without having to master a physical skill requiring a high level of fine motor control and coordination -- which I am fundamentally incapable of doing, due to neurological disorder.

It started to gel in my mind when I got my first Eurorack rig built up to the point where it was actually useful in that regard; and it got thoroughly cemented when I expanded into 4U Serge and discovered how much fun playing around with that is.

blw
Common Wiggler

Post by blw » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:09 pm

When I realized not everyone follows when people reference modules by their model numbers in discussions. It turns out you are a cut above in nerdiness if you automatically know what a Doepfer A-138 is, and so on.

hsosdrum
Veteran Wiggler

Post by hsosdrum » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:25 pm

gryfon1 wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:35 pm
I got my hands on the Moog modular at MSU in Spring of 1969 and Fall of 1970. I was hooked within minutes, it all just made sense.
Same experience here. I first sat down at a Moog Model 10 (or Model 12, I forget which) at a music store in 1971 and it just made total sense to me. It also made simply AWESOME sounds!

It only took another 46 years for me to finally own one! (Well, not a Moog, but a big 5U system.) :tu:

pines
Common Wiggler

Post by pines » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:39 am

Heard “Silver Apples of the Moon” when it came out. Got to use a modular at Indiana University when I was in the music program there, starting in 1971. Managed to buy a 2600 in 1979. Been at it since.

fac
wig MUffler

Post by fac » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:10 am

I could say I became a modular aficionado the first time I used a modular synth, which in my case would be VAZ Modular sometime around 2000-2001. But didn't really get into it until I bought a Nord Micromodular in 2003, and later started a dotcom system in 2005.

I noted I was obsessed with modular when I noted I wouldn't mind making music with only modulars and selling every other synth I had (which I haven't).

Bitnik
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bitnik » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:27 pm

This will date me, but in 1972 my 16-year-old self saw Keith Emerson's Moog modular in all its gothic glory at Newcastle City Hall and really ached to be up on stage controlling that beautiful monster.

It was only recently that I realized that analogue modular was now something anybody could do, and that it can be really inexpensive if you know a bit of electronics and have basic soldering skills. So, it's been a long hiatus in which I pursued a pleasant and productive career as a software engineer and raised a family, but now I'd like to build my own gothic monstrosities. At least I'd like to make an analogue system I can use my Theremini and Open Theremin kit to drive. Not to mention all those keyboard controllers. My son seems to collect them, including a curious Japanese-designed isomorphic keyboard. I'll probably end up playing a lot of guitar, too.

Somewhere in a cupboard I've still got a MadCatz Rock Band 3 keyboard (the one you can hold like a guitar) that my son and I hacked (with extensive online help) to turn it into a wireless Midi controller. That's actually a very versatile controller, and is far more responsive than the tennis rackets we used to use to imitate Hank Marvin with back in the 1960s. There's so much there to explore. I think I paid £9 for it on eBay five years ago. It even came with a copy of the computer game (for a console I didn't own).

Krankenwagen
Common Wiggler

Post by Krankenwagen » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:23 pm

At Shimamura Instruments here in Osaka they have an ever expanding wall of modules. I can now start patching together the endless wall of buttons, switches and wires with a relative degree of confidence in knowing what I'm doing. Usually draws a bit of a crowd as people gather round to watch the bomb technician go to work. :hmm:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Re:

Post by starthief » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:44 pm

lisa wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:23 pm
I’m a bit manic about stuff now and then. :goo:
I kind of wonder if that's a requirement to really get into modular. I've definitely had a few rounds of

"can't sleep, gotta research all the envelope modules"

and

"I've been at work for 3 hours and all I've done today is compile my code repeatedly while reading threads that compare different brands of patch cables." :hihi:
If FM overkill is wrong, I don't want to be right. ★ starthief.bandcamp.comstarthief.netModularGrid

nangu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nangu » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:58 pm

I suspected when I saw a demo of human voice into a pitch shifter / vocoder on a PBS kids show when I was just an anklebiter. ‘321 Contact’, perhaps?

I was pretty sure when I started messing around with non-realtime ‘rendering’ modular stuff in Windows 95.

I crossed the event horizon 15 minutes after I went on a road trip to buy one of the first batch of Nord Micromodulars. :tu:

Blairio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Blairio » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:59 pm

..when my modular rig became worth more than my car.

(I have a pretty basic car)

..and my motorbikes

(they're not so basic)

But my rig will never be as valuable as my cat - Toots, a 16 year old Tortoiseshell.

galaxie
Common Wiggler

Post by galaxie » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:18 pm

When I realized my latest purchase is 30+ TT stackable cables because I want more connections.... then I realized that again as my next purchase is several modules to make all the TT cables stay occupied.

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:26 pm

in my previous life i was one of Eliane Radigue's cats.. naturally i'd not known until recently when i overheard a zoomer uploading a selfie to instagram exclaim: "ce sont les meilleurs filtres que j'ai jamais vus!"

this triggered a past life regression memory trance in which i was back in her living room listening to that lovely synth humming away. when i came to, i knew modulars were in my blood and i built an extensive system in the following year.

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”