2018 - 2019 * 1 year of modular addiction* NO WAY OUT?

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:17 am

You don’t get the addiction thing? I’m quite sure you do.

The OP puts loads of time into looking up and buying modules and wants to stop doing that to be able to put more time into making music instead. And your response to that is ”no, keep going”. :)
My first modular track where I used drum modules! BIA, Entity Percussion, Chimera, Elements. There's also a ton of FM cross modulation from the Instruō Cš-L in there and the Metasonix R56 is a big part of the sound. :star:

We also just did a live performance. Just eurorack, a mixer and two nitwits. :hyper: http://tiny.cc/8ndspz

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:34 am

lisa wrote:You don’t get the addiction thing? I’m quite sure you do.

The OP puts loads of time into looking up and buying modules and wants to stop doing that to be able to put more time into making music instead. And your response to that is ”no, keep going”. :)
I agree. Modular is expensive and if it is causing distress it's not healthy. (But unless I'm mistaken I don't think cptnal said keep going.)

People on this forum have different levels of disposable income, and this forum has a bit of a buy buy buy vibe. Buying modules will not make you happy, full stop.

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:38 am

lisa wrote:You don’t get the addiction thing? I’m quite sure you do.

You're quite sure about many things. Not all of them are true. For instance, putting quotes around words doesn't mean I said them.

My response to the OP is be thankful you have the opportunity to do these things. Not many do, and life is short.

Muzone
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Muzone » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:52 am

Like any expensive hobby it's not really an addiction, more of an obsession - with perhaps a touch of aspirationalism to spice up the drive for "more gearz"

Fog Door
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Fog Door » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:59 pm

it's not really an addiction, more of an obsession
There is a difference between those two things, but an obsession can be equally damaging.

Flexyflier
Common Wiggler

Post by Flexyflier » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:46 am

Been on this trip for five years......the buzz is still going
"Drowning...................not waving!"

Pelsea
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Pelsea » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:22 pm

Wait a minute-- my entire career has a DSM-IV code?
Books and tutorials on modular synthesis at http://peterelsea.com
Patch responsibly-
pqe

Poldenstein
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Poldenstein » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:27 am

Pelsea wrote:Wait a minute-- my entire career has a DSM-IV code?
It's DSM-V now..
And no, oniomania (compulsive shopping) has not been included in addictive disorders ATM

lauprellim
Common Wiggler

Post by lauprellim » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:05 pm

Many people have taken years on this forum to fill their cases. Take a year off and make some music. You discover so much about modules when exploring them intensely.

I filled about 400hp in the last year and decided to stop cold turkey at least till 2020. Enjoying every minute I get to spend making music and not thinking about new modules.

There is something bizarrely and inherently addictive about Eurorack for many.
Have a good trip! — Karlheinz Stockhausen

Fog Door
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Fog Door » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:55 am

There is something bizarrely and inherently addictive about Eurorack for many.
I think part of the addiction problem is that, musical considerations aside, the modules themselves are very cool just as objects. Large modular set ups look truly beautiful. Also, taking each module in isolation, the overwhelming majority are very affordable, so its easy to get sucked in.

Personally, I'm very music focused, so I've only been adding slowly because I don't want anything to fuck with my flow. That's probably the only reason I haven't bought many more modules though! :)

bibleblack
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bibleblack » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:09 pm

I find its the concepts behind the modules that i get obsessed with. I am always amazed by the thought processes of designers and engineers that build theses things and the concepts behind them.

ckwjr
Common Wiggler

Post by ckwjr » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:12 pm

I know the end goal is supposed to be making music, but "collecting eurorack modules" is a perfectly acceptable hobby. If you have a budget and know how much you can spend on modules on a weekly/monthly/annual basis, then don't feel bad about it.

There are more expensive hobbies. When the next recession hits, possibly as soon as tomorrow, and 90% of the current batch of eurorack manufacturers are driven out of the game, then you might actually end up with some modules that have scarcity value. After a while, I mean. First, the bottom falls out of the market.

dkcg
I pity the fool w/o enough VCAs

Post by dkcg » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:06 pm

Best way to not be a euro addict.

Sell everything, buy a Buchla or Serge or other esoteric "expensive" system.
You can't impulse buy modules nearly as easily.

mutierend
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mutierend » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:54 pm

dkcg wrote:Best way to not be a euro addict.

Sell everything, buy a Buchla or Serge or other esoteric "expensive" system.
You can't impulse buy modules nearly as easily.
Came here to say this. But I did impulse-buy a 272e when one popped up on Reverb....

NewSynthOnTheBlock
Learning to Wiggle

Post by NewSynthOnTheBlock » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:58 pm

Yes, it is an Obsession-addiction-thing.

Since I startet this thread I bought 4 more modules.
On the other Hand, I sold 3 others and I am about to sell more.

My limitations are my rack space. I will not expand my 4 rows of 104. It is big enough.
By sticking to that method it is not a real money thing, except I would only hunt for
Cwejman, macbeth and co. But honestly didn't see the value of those overpriced modules compared to nowadays so genius more affordable ones. At least in my point of view although I don't have any real experience or comparison with these high priced modules.
Just tried one or another at Schneidersladen. Nice and fat sounding though. But the "cheaper" 300 Euro does a somewhat same amazing job ;)

And as said here, I see a real beauty in those modules. Don't want a serge or buchla system. Love eurorack with its whole damn variety and so cool different manufacturers.
I like these collecting-buying-selling-part alot, too. It satisfy me if I made another good deal, ended with a positive cash amount and could invest in another.

Dennis
Common Wiggler

Post by Dennis » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:50 am

i started with the plan on adding to my current electron boxes making techno / trance

2 years later i replaced almost everything with eurorack, now i play live shows with 4 rows of 104hp. i always had the plan to make my live shows fluid and to play for hours without getting bored

:roll:

in the time of building up that routine / workflow i bought some modules that weren't fitting too well, resold them and over the time of 2 years i am now almost complete with my setup.

ok there are new modules that are interesting, but not necessary for my shows / music / needs

all modules i didn't want to sell and cling on too hard i stuffed in a 9U 84HP case and use it mainly as storage, Frankenstein case. sometimes for excitement i use it with reverb as big ambient machine.

so in short: i had a plan - and since fulfilling it, my ''GAS'' came to an end

NewSynthOnTheBlock
Learning to Wiggle

Post by NewSynthOnTheBlock » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:41 pm

I just changed my own game.

Decided to half my rack space from 4 x 104 into 2 x104 and re-build my "final " rack by selling the other half and stick with my own best of with the knowing of some limitation.
This somewhat helps me to make more smart decisions of what my needs are and stopped my GAS for new modules. At least for a while and I will try to just focus on what I ve got and play the most out if it in musical terms.

:tu:

mg05
Common Wiggler

Post by mg05 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:52 am

lauprellim wrote:
I filled about 400hp in the last year and decided to stop cold turkey at least till 2020.

:yay:

Keltie
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Keltie » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:13 pm

windchill wrote:Once you've got to a sensible size - and you're certainly there already - apply a simple rule: one-in-one-out.
+1.

My problem is that it goes like this:

Out: passive mult
In: synth tech e370.

windchill
Wiggling with Experience

Post by windchill » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:14 am

Keltie wrote:
windchill wrote:Once you've got to a sensible size - and you're certainly there already - apply a simple rule: one-in-one-out.
+1.

HA HA!

cornutt
Fig juggler

Post by cornutt » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:34 pm

Keltie wrote:

Now we've got you! MWHAHAHAHAHAHA! :eurorack: :eurorack: :eurorack: :nut: :champagne: :emt: :moneyburn:
Sequence 15 -- sequence15.blogspot.com

underthebigtree
Common Wiggler

Post by underthebigtree » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:21 am

Something that really worked for me when I was in that Eurorack collecting obsession phase was to DIY a lot of modules. There are great kits on Modular Addict and Synthcube. Not only are they somewhat cheaper than buying prebuilt modules, they really make you stop and think. Plus, they have more inherent value to you once they are done, because you built them.

I'd guess my Eurorack system is about 50% kits. And some of them are by far my favorite modules: my Klee sequencer, Random Source NTO and variable slope filters, etc.

Now I'm working on the Portabellabz expansion cards for my Buchla Music Easel, and then taking up a pair of 73-75 4U Serge panels. So it never stops. But I do try to balance that DIY thing with creating music on the systems, and making videos for the channel.

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:17 am

underthebigtree wrote:Something that really worked for me when I was in that Eurorack collecting obsession phase was to DIY a lot of modules. There are great kits on Modular Addict and Synthcube. Not only are they somewhat cheaper than buying prebuilt modules, they really make you stop and think. Plus, they have more inherent value to you once they are done, because you built them.

I'd guess my Eurorack system is about 50% kits. And some of them are by far my favorite modules: my Klee sequencer, Random Source NTO and variable slope filters, etc.

Now I'm working on the Portabellabz expansion cards for my Buchla Music Easel, and then taking up a pair of 73-75 4U Serge panels. So it never stops. But I do try to balance that DIY thing with creating music on the systems, and making videos for the channel.
I'm intrigued by the Klee kit, but that's a lot of money down the drain if I can't get it to work.
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

Midiot
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Midiot » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:37 pm

I have had the modular bug for about five years.
Now I have 480hp of eurorack space, filled.....and over 48hp of unplugged modules that I do not find that useful.

Here's how I have slowed down on buying more modules.....

1) Concentrating on learning how to use my current modules to their fullest extent (important).

2) Unless I really need something essential, I avoid impulse-buys. (example, I really needed a Quad Clock divider, but I don't need "______". (aka, priorities)

3) An option is always there, to sell my unused modules....and use only that money for a new module purchase.

4) Come to the realization that "having more modules" does not make me a better musician, or that I will necessarily make "better" music.
"We'll be living in all the oceans now."
(type of music I make.... drone atmospheres, deep late-night beats.)

paranormind
Common Wiggler

Post by paranormind » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:04 am

Follow my advice: no more than 1 module per day.

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”